Star Trek episode reviews (YouTube)

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

OllsMcAllister
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Star Trek episode reviews (YouTube)

Post by OllsMcAllister »

Hi all,

I just had a quick search on your forums for mentions of a YouTube reviewer of Star Trek episodes and couldn't find a mention - so hopefully this might be something new some of you may not have come across before.

SFDebris is a chap called Chuck from the American MidWest who I came across a couple of years ago on YouTube. He's had a website for a number of years with text reviews of Star Trek episodes from all five series (not counting the canonically-dubious Animated Series) before I found his video reviews.

Simply put - they're hilarious. If you like an acerbic dry wit with a deadpan sense of humour, and have an appreciation for the Star Trek episodes, then this guy is for you.

He reviews one episode per ten minute video (unless it's a spectacularly bad episode or far-too-infrequent high point of the franchise when he does two or three) as well as the movies; they're not done sequentially but on a request basis by fans or as part of a theme (Q, the Borg, etc.).

Have a look (first link above) and see what you think - he's just completed a three-part review of the two-parter Star Trek Voyager Scorpion.

Olls[/url]
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

tbh I'm not a fan of those reviews. my best friend bothers me with "redlettermedia" over and over again (must be the bloodwine xD). I can't stand it. Especially when it's about Star Trek.

1. most of the things mentioned are mistakes made by the writers and you can overlook them easily. you know there are more then 3 writers for over 600 episodes and each of them can't know the whole show or what was mentioned in this episode or that. so this mistakes happen and most of them are just noticed by fans who watched the shows very often

2. these reviewers or whatever you may want to call those guys who just have enuff time - have a perspective on Star Trek I don't want to share - and take somehow the fun out of it or the really important msgs behind all that

3. it's just a pain in the ass to listen to some guy who talks endlessly about the same sh... over and over again

ok you can do this with movies you don't like. Like this colourful bs Avatar or JJ's movie. but not with the shows. they're kinda holy ;)

edit: ok this might all sound a bit harsh. I don't know this reviever you talked about but I guess I'm not going to watch his reviews either way ;)

perhaps if you got some good example... ;)
OllsMcAllister
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by OllsMcAllister »

Haha oh don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan of the shows but that's one of the reasons I like this particular guy's reviews. He recognises good Trek for what it is and praises it but also isn't afraid to point the finger at the low points of the franchise. I guess what I like most is the humour - it's mostly done with a sense of fun and even he recognises the nerdier elements of what he's doing :)
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

canonically-dubious Animated Series
BUT AWESOME! Except for the Magics of Megas-tu, that was dumb. (yeah there's probably a few more that should go here)

Return to “General Chat Archive”