A klingon killing group of Maquis took out Bin Laden!

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

eber3
Captain
Captain

A klingon killing group of Maquis took out Bin Laden!

Post by eber3 »

The news just boldly went ... somewhere it probably shouldn't have gone.

A German newscaster must be wishing his colleagues would beam him up after TV channel N24 accidentally displayed the logo for a 24th century terrorist group depicted on the TV show "Star Trek" -- rather than the real world Navy SEAL team that took out Usama bin Laden.

The news team intended to show the logo for SEAL Team Six, the special ops team that ultimately killed the notorious chieftan of the Al Qaeda terrorist organization. Instead, it accidentally used a fan-made logo for the Maquis, an anti-Cardassian rebel group that originally appeared in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, reported fan site TrekMovie.com.

The newscaster, identified as Mick Locher, even commented on the emblem, pointing out that "they also have the ‘Team Six,' that carried out the mission. They don't have the skull in their emblem for nothing."

Locher didn't seem to notice that the skull in question was from a Klingon and included a bolted-on eyepatch. He and N24 also appear undeterred by the emblem's inclusion of a phaser, Klingon sword and the word "Maquis" (a French resistance guerrilla group that inspired the name), the site reported.

Made up of only a few hundred forces based in Dam Neck, Va., the elite SEAL unit officially known as Naval Special Warfare Development Group, or "DEVGRU," is part of a special operations brotherhood that calls itself "the quiet professionals."

SEAL Team Six has reportedly raided targets outside war zones like Yemen and Somalia in the past three years, though the bulk of the unit's current missions are in Afghanistan, the Associated Press reported.

Star Trek's Maquis is not scheduled to begin raiding for several hundred years.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/ ... z1M5P2XiVY
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Ha! That's great eber; thanks for sharing. :lol:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hehe a friend of mine posted this one @facebook, too, yesterday. but iirc this didn't happen for the first time. Some US news station made a similiar mistake some years ago. got a pic of it somewhere here. xD

so much for google image search xD
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

That's funny. :D
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

now i am fan of this TV news. LOL :lol:
Last edited by anjel on Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live long and propser
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I groaned when I read the title, thinking someone made a very tasteless youtube video.

I am glad this is not the case, very funny, thanks for sharing. Now only if this happened on CNN lol.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Sela
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Sela »

Freaking awesome :o
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Last edited by eber3 on Fri May 13, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

:D Priceless. Very funny.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hm... it's not that funny as you may have thought using Star Trek in this way.

I may be alone with my opinion here but as often idc ;)

I cannot approve with the operation the US did. I mean even Nazi leaders and mass-murderes were put on trial. They should've done the same with Bin Laden...

So now he's dead and now what? Will it be a new holiday to celebrate in the US or somewhere in the world? I don't think so. It's still wrong to kill people whatever the reasons may be or what they've done. That's uncivilized and is going to make the "west" look bad. But we as the west already look bad with over 1 million dead iraqis. (even if my homecountry wasn't involved the rest of the world doesn't make much of a difference between countries in Europe or the US)

I expected more from mankind in the so-called 21st century. But it's still the old barbarism. I also expected more from Obama. But it seems that temporary poll numbers on short terms are more important to him then to take action to finally stop terrorism. But this won't happen.

Not with the suppression and selfishness which rulez the world these days and which are the major reasons for terrorism imho. Religion as main reason is a hoax and just used to exploit...

Most of us are going a very wrong way, I'm afraid. It's more the way of the dark mirror universe then this one where we finally could have the Federation some day.

no need to answer to my post as I didn't want to start a discussion or whatever. it's just something to think about.

"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it." (Noam Chomsky)
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

KrazeeXXL wrote: ...even Nazi leaders and mass-murderes were put on trial. They should've done the same with Bin Laden...
I agree with that. And from what was reported the idea was to arrest him but he went for a machine gun. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. But given that the US did find, arrest, and turn over Saddam Hussein for trial, I can believe capture was the goal.
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

:D
Last edited by beepo on Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

sorry, becoming to political, I have to re-edit what I have said.

I think now is the time to lock this thread before it gets heated.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Ok all. The original intent of this thread was to simply point out the funny newscast. I think I unintentionally took it beyond that trying to add to the funny. Sorry about that, some times I don't see the forest through the trees.

Anyways, lets stop the political stuff and limit comments to the newscast mistake itself. Thanks.
garek
Ensign
Ensign

Post by garek »

I believe the Nazi's and Germany were defeated and they surrendered.
The allied powers decided to put certain leaders on trial for "crimes against humanity". The Austrian Corporal shot himself in his bunker. I doubt Osama would have shot himself or surrender. He deserved what he got, just like Che Guevara and some others. A double tap to the head probably is more humane than being beheaded by a sword.
I also think putting the Maqui's name on a US Navy Seal logo is in bad taste, and I would say the same if it were done to the logos of the SAS, GSG9, or any other special forces group.
Check your 6 a sqadron of K'vorts is decloaking

Return to “General Chat Archive”