Romulan War Mod

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Romulan War Mod

Post by astrotrooper »

Is anyone interested in doing a Romulan-War/Pre-Tos mod based on the "Star Fleet Museum" Ships?

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/

(I'm already making a mod for SFC-OP for that - but that has limited strategic features, and no ship range limit - also a ton of other races for an addtional headache - (but much better visuals) )

It should feature -

1) a large map

2) shorter travel distances for ships - as per the museum (deuterium fuel requirements) - also putting more emphasis on exploration and building - the "empty universe" portion (the fun part) in the beginning of any game, - and also making combat operations more difficult (with a double distance (short +) bonus for Earth somewhere around turn 200-300 - with the introduction of M/AM drive)

- the same range advantage (short +) and fair maneuverability for post war earth-federation ships, maneuverability advantages for post-war romulans but with continued distance limitations, and armor advantages but both maneuverability and range disadvantages for Klingons - untill the D6.)

- medium distances for the later generation ships (generations - up to either kestrel/valley forge/belleau wood - or all the way up to TOS) - also capturing the feel of TOS/Pre-Tos - large semi-empty universe, exploration, expansion and frontier combat.

5) Replacement of Ferengi with Kzinti (not to be confused with the xindi)

6) More energetic Minor races

7) Slower developmet rate to stretch things out.

8 ) and of course weapons modding (no photon torpedoes untill much later)

Last edited by astrotrooper on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Um... Kzinti? Um, how are you going to explain the trade ability that Ferengi have? I LIKE the idea of using the Kzinti. But replacing the Ferengi is a strange choice.
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

The Kzinti played a major part in the Pre-Tos universe. They are a must.

You can't replace the other 3 major races, and the Cardassians have a lot more going for them.

BUT the Cardassians are a "TNG" race too - so if someone has a better idea I'm open to replacing them as well.. (still there's some imagination to having pre TOS Cardassians in the game..)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

marhawkman wrote:Um... Kzinti? Um, how are you going to explain the trade ability that Ferengi have?
I think SCT found all the code to give this to a different race or remove free trade (no treaty)

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1057

thunderchero
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

Could replace the Ferengi with Orions, and Cardassians with Kzinti.

But than the growth of the Orions would have to be severely limited and geared towards starship construction and roaming. (since they are not nearly a major power)

And with limited starship ranges it would be difficult to integrate a race famous for roaming and piracy... (at least untill the era immediately before TOS with M/AM drives everywhere)

The theme of this mod would be early colonization, exploration, the difficulties of exploration, than Romulan-Earth war. postwar Klingon-Romulan encounters, Federation troubles with the Kzinti, and the early stages of the federation "empire", and rivalry with the Klingons, and powerful minor races.

That's the main focus..

The main powers would be Human, Romulan, Klingon, and Kzinti - most other major powers would really be in excess..

There's some imagination to having the Cardassians in the corner as well.. (plus their ships are good "as is" - you would just have to limit their technological progress, and firepower)

Of course the Gorn and the Tholians only show up mid-TOS so you can't give them a major role either..
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

Well looking through the tutorials here it seems making ship models is a lot more difficult than I thought...

I guess I will eventually make 3 or 4 models each for the 3 main races. (I'll just map them planar, and make the romulans green, the federation grey, and the klingons drak grey..) and do a rough slice and dice in creator...

They won't be super - but they will look like the right ships - and that's good enough...
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I don't ever recall the Kzinti in Star Trek. Only time I herd of them was in Star Fleet Battles.

How did they play a major part in the universe?
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

To answer your question.

They are referenced both in Star Trek games, the animated series, are a major power in SFC 1 (redesignated Mirak in SFC 2) - and in the Starfleet Museum - wich serves as the basis of this mod.

BUT

I don't want to waste time arguing with everyone who has a different idea.

This is really a topic for those who are interested in the project and have something to contribute...
Last edited by astrotrooper on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

If you're interested in this mod - please read through the Star Fleet museum to get an idea of what this mod is about.

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

I LIKE the idea of having the Kzinti. I included them in that SE5 mod project I'm working on. see: http://home.spaceempires.net/ftopic-8325-250.html

I like the one suggestion about replacing the Cardassians with the Kzinti and the Ferengi with the Orions. It does make sense thematically. the Federation has had contact with Orion for a long time, and Orions are primarily traders. Kzinti make a nice replacement for Cardassians as both races are highly militaristic and aggressive.
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

The Kzinti-Orion lineup would be the most TOS-like.

Problem with that is workload.

I have already started on the mod - to work out the basic game mechanics - in ship ranges, galaxy size, distances, upgrades - etc. to give it the right feel for the romulan war and the early Federation.

For the Kzinti there is already a supply of suitable ships - someone made/converted atolm's Excellence class from SFC - with a nice brown skin - this is a ship that will make an excellent Kzinti heavy cruiser - with the Suliban cruiser as a colony/troop transport, and the Suliban stealth cruiser as a starbase - the vanilla yellow yiridian ship as a scout, plus one other raider type ship with a redone texture - and we already have the necessary ships for the Kzinti.

There is a large ammount of Cardassian ships for the game - and there is a line-up that is credible (if not perfect) as pre-tos/TOS.

That leaves the Romulan, Klingon and Federation ships.

Which means.

Romulan

1) Scout (I have a design for my sfc mod) (for destroyer - a cab transport could be used for explorer - since a scout would

not have the range)
2) Cabbage
3) Cabbage transport for troop/colony ship/scout
4) Chowder
5) Clavice

(Cataract left out)

6) Cracker
7) Capsize - or straight to the TOS BOP

(An existing transport ship I have in the mod right now could serve as transport/troop ship II for the TOS era)

Federation

1) Bison transport colony ship and scout
2) Amarillo destroyer
3) Pioneer Cruiser
4) Tannehauser as heavy cruiser/early battleship

(Minotaur/Yorktown/Powhattan would be nice too - but that probably won't get done)

5) Torsk and Conqueror would be nice - but more than likely only Conqueror will get done.

We already have a Deadalus class.

6-7) It would be nice to have a Kestrel and a Lancaster for the early Federation era. (and the Kzinti fights)

And we already have a very nice TOS lineup on here.

Klingon

at least

1) D2

2) D5

3) D6

4) some kind of a credible transport

(D3 and D4 would be nice too - D4 especially)

Before we move on to the TOS era cruisers - we already have.

So bare bones minum we are talking about 16-18 ships.

Plus TGA mods - and it would be nice to replace the minors too with TOS minors.. (but that will probably only get partially done - and get finished in the post-beta phase of the mod..)

So doing an Orion lineup with the additional TGA changes..

Plus the Ferengi are suitably agressive - and the traderoutes part can be edited out - the bribes will still be a problem..

Yes they would make better Orions..but..

The possibilityes are that if it's a popular mod people will take it further - perfect it, make sub-mods, expand it, and in the post beta phase probably a full Orion-Kzinti lineup can be implemented..

Depends how much interest there is in the mod.

Realistically - it will probably be just me working on it - and that means 8-9 ships instead of the minimum 16 (romulan and federation very basic and one klingon ship) and very rudimentary modding, with several upgrades later on...
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

Final ship lineup will probably look like this:

Romulan
1 Scout - Destroyer
2 Cabbage - doubling as Transport and Explorer
3 Chowder
4 Clacive
5 Cracker

Federation
6 Bison
7 Amarillo
8 Pioneer
9 Tannehauser

Klingon
10 D2

A Lancaster and Kestrel would really be nice too for the Federation. (A Lancaster I will probably definitely do later on)

Return to “General Chat Archive”