Hotseat????

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Hotseat????

Post by geon »

Hi all,

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but has anyone attempted a hotseat version of BOTF? With all the programming breakthroughs happening these days by our talented community, is it now possible?????
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Hotseat????

Post by thunderchero »

what do you mean by hotseat?

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

It's like 2 humans playing chess on one computer, swapping the seat to take a turn.

It would be a hell of a lot simpler than setting up a LAN game. But I have no technical opinion at this time, I've been incapacitated with flu this last week. Brain no worky :cry:
geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by geon »

Exactly, invite a few mates over, grab some pizzas, and take turns doing your moves, while you furiously engage in personnal diplomacy with the ruler of the empire you are planning to annihilate.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

ok.. so u r suggesting ... (and i think this is highly hypothetical... ) that... there it is possible for two human beings in this world that know of botf/wanna play it AND r able to share a physical space of one room that play botf? this is geographic and physical near impossibility!:) unless u r suggesting email type version hot seat that can be played over email etc...:) i was of an opinion botf players are more scares then dodo birds... and those who play botf mp, are like dodo wiht ph.d...:) a statitistical near impossibility...)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

funny idea. if ruthlesferengi was wrong and there would be like 10 botf players every mile it would be worth doing it. but for the current community it's definitly not worth the effort
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Probably be easier to do if the players just all brought their lap tops together and networked them.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

@RF funny as hell dude :D
@everyone else... I agree with Breen this just isn't practical given the small community of MPs right now. We need exposure and stability in MP games to bring ppl back. Hopefully WZ will have their new server installed soon that will, if nothing else, allow us to play mods in the BotF room. The admins were also trying to stabilize the bypass option (fingers crossed on that one). After that then we can work on a new *cough* network engine *cough*. ;) ;) ;) so playing MP is as easy as playing on battle.net
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

I had trouble getting lan started betweeen Win7 desctop and vista desktop. Works with win7 lappy and vistta desktop. Not work between xp laptop and win7 laptop. Got so frustrated was ready to drive to detrit airport and fly xdx just to play:) so lan is not 100% perfect...hotseat may be not that crazy, cheaper than airline tickets.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by geon »

Hi all,

It seems that the main objection in this forum to a hotseat ability of BOTF is the wide spread distribution of BOTF players around the world. But don't you have local friends and family who are also interested in having a game or two sometimes? Five (and hopefully later seven) players sharing one computer between turns doesn't sound so impossible to me.

Many games already have hotseat capability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:M ... seat_games

The Civilization series has just as many players (even more) .
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

this is essentially the same question as viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2329 by roarke the day before this thread came up
while it's quite not possible to get it work in a single instance, you still can run multiple instances of botf the same time e.g. by using virtual machines, windowing hacks&tools or linux+wine (in case directplay emulation works in wine by now)
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

This would be cool! I have... ONE friend nearby that would be into this kind of game. And he recently got rid of his PC. So that's now a no-go.
JadesBack
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by JadesBack »

I have 4 guy friends and my dad whom all live within 10 miles of Cambridge.

We have tried countless times to get a lan MP game working but it seems to crash every 5 turns or just not see the hosted game. It appears random and I cant do anything about it...

If you guys could get a battle net type game hosting system working it would be amazing!
roarke
Ensign
Ensign

Post by roarke »

Flocke wrote:this is essentially the same question as viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2329 by roarke the day before this thread came up
while it's quite not possible to get it work in a single instance, you still can run multiple instances of botf the same time e.g. by using virtual machines, windowing hacks&tools or linux+wine (in case directplay emulation works in wine by now)
It is pretty close like my topic, but i was saying in my topic, if, like in Warzone 2100, a host and join can be on only one computer. If Warzone 2100 was tbs, it will be cool. A game in Ubuntu, Battle for Wesnoth can be run as a host/join in one computer. Being a tbs game, each players sit on their own monitor on one computer and waiting for their turn. If Botf will never implement (the good users from this forum who made the game a better one) a multitask game, because more people must be attracted to multiplayer, not mutitasking the game, than i'm sory, but this is not fair.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

would be interesting to get multiple mouse support working, but beside that I see no difference, may it be multiple monitors or just one.
hotseat is not possible with just a single botf instance, not now and not to be expected, so a host + multiple client setup on one single compter is required which can already be done in multiple ways as I told ;)

Return to “General Chat Archive”