Quest for Source Code

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Quest for Source Code

Post by Tethys »

I emailed Atari in hopes of maybe they found the BOTF source code, or would be willing to ask around their ranks to find it. Anyone who would like to contribute any knowledge or help to this project is more than welcome to do so, just post here. Also, if anyone knows any lead designers personally it would be excellent for you to contact them again to see if anyone knows where there might be a copy of the code.

Tethys
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

first, Get out of my moms' Bed! :P

second, I doubt Atari do have the code... maybe.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Tethys,

I hate to say I feel you are wasting your time, I personally have contacted erick jap and was told the source code was not given to Atari and destroyed when microprose was sold. He also stated even if someone had a copy they had to sign a non disclosure contrat.

thunderchero
sanityfreezone
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sanityfreezone »

If you wanted to.. you could get names of Developers / Engineers from the credits and try to hunt them down thorough google or something to see if they would share the source code..
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

You could always worship Lazarus. :D lol
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

perhaps if we write a nice excuse to his mom we might get the code :-)
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Lazarus: Mom? Mommy, they like us on the BOTF board now. Look they wrote a nice letter.

Why don't you read it to me baby?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Rofl... still no word from Atari, but I am confident to get a reply sometime before i keel over and die :P
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

I wrote to Atari myself countless times ( support and buisness section ) without any sign of life.

Think they´re either dead or illiterate.

Also wrote to Jeff Briggs, former member of MicroProse, but no answer yet.

Also, Frederic Chesnais, former CEO of Atari, has now his own company "interactive gaming group" or "b2g AG" on chesnais.com
It called itself a new "MicroProse".
Tried to get any contact to Atari over him, but he plays dead ( probably learned the trick from Atari )

Unless someone can directly contact high ranking Atari personnel the chances of reverse engineering the assembler back to C are better than getting those Atari zombies to react on anything.

Yet, after all, it won´t hurt ( at least not us ) if Chesnais is getting a few mails on this issue.

Maybe he gives us contact into Atari to just get rid of us.
Join the klingon empire at www.goldentowns.com/?i=352931
Become an affiliate of Kahless himself and play for free to earn real money!

You will be protected and advised by the chancellor himself.
Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Unfortunately Jeff Briggs might not be able to help with anything since he left Microprose in 1996...

Frederic Chesnais on the other hand might be a good one to contact, however I'm not sure whether or not he was around with the original team when Botf was developed.

These are all the Software Engineers: Bill Chinn, Alice Chinn, Dave Lewak, Jon Edwards, Sami Tabikh, Steve Tsai

And these are additional programmers: Erick Jap, Gary Gibbons

Any of these, besides the Chinn's (I believe TC already contacted them) would be good to contact, but I havent the resources to effectively do so, other than email, and even then no email addresses are mentioned in my searches.

My first email would be to Erick Jap, since hes worked on several ST games, he might have a source code lying around somewhere he would be willing to share :P My next would be Steve Tsai, Sami Tabikh, then just up the list.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Please stop damaging to AFC-BotF's reputation by making a nuisance of yourself with this silly & senseless act. Here you may spam this source code nonsense, but when it comes to stalking, then the fun comes to a sudden end.

Failing this please remove my special rank immediately

Thank you very much
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Please stop damaging to AFC-BotF's reputation by making a nuisance of yourself with this silly & senseless act. Here you may spam this source code nonsense, but when it comes to stalking, then the fun comes to a sudden end.

Thank you very much
Huh?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

eber3 wrote:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Please stop damaging to AFC-BotF's reputation by making a nuisance of yourself with this silly & senseless act. Here you may spam this source code nonsense, but when it comes to stalking, then the fun comes to a sudden end.

Thank you very much
Huh?
Same? Has someone hacked his profile?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I wouldn't expect any sense either, but as far as I've read about previous attempts, people being involved in actually developing the game never called it 'stalking' when being contacted, but actually were quite pleased to hear their work on botf still gets remembered and acknowledged.
Still none of those gave the source away for good reasons (their non-disclosure contract, or they didn't have it, or both).

JeanNYGUARD once said he contacted Bill Chin, but he wouldn't disclosure the source as long as it's not stated abandonware: viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi ... ight=atari
I still don't know if it's just been another 'fun' or if he's been really in contact (no matter Jean). :lol:

Others told they contacted Atari or some artists but got nothing useful either.

As long as people state their adress in public, it's absolutely not 'stalking' to try contacting them. At least as long as you don't pass by and put up your tent in the middle of their garden. (Spamming of course wouldn't be fine either.)

So, even in case it's silly, why not just letting him try Tribble?
Is it really so much reputation AFC is loosin'? to whom? Atari? Ourselves? Kneeling down to the developers?
At least he might get some nice contacts and can tell himself he gave it a try (and hopefully set an end to those "silly" discussions - at least for this year).
And with much much luck one of'em gives a nice talk - not the source, that would be above luck.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Thanks Flocke. I wonder what ever did happen with Bill Chin, as I havent seen him around, might mean that it probable fell through. Oh well, and i havent seen Jean around for some time... :(

Return to “General Chat Archive”