Patching Issue

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Lint938
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Patching Issue

Post by Lint938 »

After I installed the patch when I try to run the game with the new exe it asks for cd, even tho i have the cd. anyone else have this problem?
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Try looking at the cd path in stbof.ini make sure it points to your CD drive.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Lint938
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Yep

Post by Lint938 »

Yes it is pointing to my cd drive. still says "cannot locate cdrom"
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Patching Issue

Post by thunderchero »

Lint938 wrote:After I installed the patch when I try to run the game with the new exe it asks for cd, even tho i have the cd. anyone else have this problem?
what patch did you install?

thunderchero
Lint938
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Lint938 »

The Patch From this site, I think the problem is that i tried to install a patch that really did not do anything at all. I am going to Uninstall and install the patch from this site in hopes it fixes.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Lint938 wrote:The Patch From this site, I think the problem is that i tried to install a patch that really did not do anything at all. I am going to Uninstall and install the patch from this site in hopes it fixes.
if you are just using vanilla game with no mods the only patch you should need is this one

thunderchero
toroca
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toroca »

Definitely use the one thunderchero linked above. It's the only one out of four different patches that I've tried that actually worked correctly. Two of the patch versions I tried didn't actually update anything, and the official one from Microprose actually broke the game.
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Well it was suggested before, but maybe it is a good idea to get rid of the other patches and just leave Joker's up. I haven't heard anybody complain about Joker's patch but we've heard some horror stories about the other patches.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
toroca
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toroca »

I would keep the official one just because it's official. Some people keep an old computer around for gaming since some games will not run on the newer OSes or hardware; if someone's got a Win98 computer they're using to run BOTF, they wouldn't need the XP fix patch. *has a Win98 comp for other games, but not BOTF since it works on XP*
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

I agree. If a particular patch or mod has sufficiant issues, like 4 out of 10 people having problems, Then the mod should be returned to the programmer for correcting and tesing, and temp removed or blocked fromdownloading.

I remember downloading on dial up, waiting hours to get the file, then waiting for winrar to copy the files into stbof.res only to load the game and getting that annoying crash warning box to appear.
Very Frustrating!
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned

Return to “General Chat Archive”