Microprose returns?!?!?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

BioHaZZarD99
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Microprose returns?!?!?

Post by BioHaZZarD99 »

Out of just plain boredom (BotF had crashed on me, what else is new?) I decided to see if I could dig up information about Microprose. After about 15-20 minutes of digging through bad, dead, and just plain crap links, I found it. The Microprose name has risen from the ashes, although not the way some of us would like. But, there IS something that should spark everyone's interest:
Microprose Website, Company page wrote:Software development has also begun and an all new line of strategic simulations are on the horizon in the same spirit of quality and exciting gameplay that players expect from Microprose.
While it mentions nothing about strategy games, only sim, I figured I would put it out there, for everyone to check them out, and keep tabs.

Here is the link to the site: Microprose Systems
Note: You MIGHT want to hit mute before you go there.... intro sound is a tad bit annoying. :S
toroca
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toroca »

There's already a Wiki article about it too, though with basically the same information as on their official site. Without the annoying noise, though. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprose_Systems%2C_LLC
BioHaZZarD99
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by BioHaZZarD99 »

After a bit more digging, and sifting through dozens of wiki pages trying to find the © trails... I think Atari still 'officially' owns the BOTF name... I could be wrong though, who knows? Either way, I'm sure someone still has the source codes for BOTF sitting in an old Windows 3.1 database that's going to be put up for action/scrapping in the next couple of months.. Maybe, if we really try, we can all get together, start sending emails, and, with a little luck, possibly get a response on the issue, and see if the source still exists. And, if it does, possibly attempt to acquire them. Then again, we could try, and end up all getting the same exact email response saying that they don't own the name, and to, although in different words, sod off... So...... Anyone up for it? :D
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

An interesting proposal, and a great wheeze if it works, but who's to say that some overly zealous type will look at the efforts made by so many on here and go to town on us on some copyright angle?

'Fortune favous the bold' though eh?
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

and never stir into a hornet's nest isn't it..

btw. you need to call infogrames now: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/05/inf ... -buys.html

they bought yet again the company but this time with full stock shares. I doubt you get a meaningful answer from them right now since everything seems to be in a change.
toroca
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toroca »

BioHaZZarD99 wrote:I think Atari still 'officially' owns the BOTF name...
They may own the name, but they no longer have the licenses, so I'm not sure they can do anything without Paramount's permission. And the studio is not known for making wise choices when it comes to the Trek game franchise. :roll:
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

The license is of no concern here. It only prevents them from also releasing/selling botf. But they can sue you to cease&desist releasing on your part due to their copyright on the game's source code, graphics and sounds cause they were not made by Paramount but by Microprose giving them the right to protect it on their own.

Return to “General Chat Archive”