Where did you bought or got BotF ?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Where did you bought or got BotF ?

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Chance brought it about....(because I'm no big gamer) I found BotF IIRC 2001 in a supermarket during my household shoppings for only DM 7.77 (CD-ver1.0.2). :)

And it was the best investment I've ever done for a game. :)

Two years later (already a big fan) I got the paper box with handbook (ver1.0.0) for € 5 in the same supermarket. :)

I'm curious about how other people came across this fantastic game.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

My son got it first when we bought it at Toys 'R' Us (sorry can't find a backward R on my keyboard) and it was in a pack of 4 Star Trek games which also included Klingon Honor Guard (can't remember other games that were included)

The price for the pack was £20.00 GBP and we either bought it in 1999 or 2000 (can't remember which)

Liked the game so much that I tried to buy one myself but couldn't find in any shops after this, so I managed to buy a copy from Hasbro direct, but can't remember price

Then disater struck when one of the copies literally shattered into hundreds, maybe thousands of pieces in my CD drive (I still have all the pieces in a bag as a souvenir as I've never seen this before or heard of it happening

Contacted Hasbro at the time and they kindly sent a new disk

In the early days my son and I played 2 player over an RS232 serial connection, which worked fine

Before BOTF I wasn't a big gamer either, but I do play a lot of Championship Manager/Football Manager and Tom Clancy's excellent Splinter Cell series

BOTF still comes to the top however

Pigman
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Pigman wrote:My son got it first when we bought it at Toys 'R' Us (sorry can't find a backward R on my keyboard) and it was in a pack of 4 Star Trek games which also included Klingon Honor Guard (can't remember other games that were included)

The price for the pack was £20.00 GBP and we either bought it in 1999 or 2000 (can't remember which)

Liked the game so much that I tried to buy one myself but couldn't find in any shops after this, so I managed to buy a copy from Hasbro direct, but can't remember price

Then disater struck when one of the copies literally shattered into hundreds, maybe thousands of pieces in my CD drive (I still have all the pieces in a bag as a souvenir as I've never seen this before or heard of it happening

Contacted Hasbro at the time and they kindly sent a new disk

In the early days my son and I played 2 player over an RS232 serial connection, which worked fine

Before BOTF I wasn't a big gamer either, but I do play a lot of Championship Manager/Football Manager and Tom Clancy's excellent Splinter Cell series

BOTF still comes to the top however

Pigman
Get out...... CM is the best game ever.....lol

I bought mine as soon as it came out from HMV for £29.99 and i have reciept in box still!!

JBL

ps - was your computer a sony?
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

All my PCs are home built but can't blame me for exploding disk!!

I think the CD drive in question at the time was an LG, but can't remember model

As for CM, my favourite was CM03/04 but have been playing FM 2008 and like the way you can MOD the game and am quite happy with the game overall

I also play this 2 player with my son

BOTF and FM2008 have two completely different themes, but similar in that both have a high micro-management content and I guess playing individual mathes out on the pitch could be comparable to the 3D battles in BOTF

But I keep coming back to BOTF and always enjoy playing it, so for me is still the best

Pigman
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

I saw it in the local EB store back in 1999, but didn't pick it up right away -- while it looked promising, I was still somewhat skeptical. Fortunately, my friends got together and bought it for me for my birthday (Dec. 1) later that year.

What was amusing was that one those friends was my roommate Aarron, and he ended up playing the game as much as I did! :lol:
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I don't know...there's tons of stuff i don't remeber from 9 years ago :lol:

all i do remember is that a school friend of mine bought it and was raving on about it for ages...shame i didn't have the net back then...we could have had some good MP games back then *rolls eyes*
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
CosmosArts
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CosmosArts »

illegal purchese... in my stack of games only diablo 2 is original... (since it needs to be if i'm playing it online from time to time)
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I always played console games and I had a friend who was big into computer games. He was always showing me games on his PC when I would go over there and I was like blah blah blah. :-) Then he showed me Botf and I tried it. Man I was hooked instantly, I used to make up excuses to go over to his house just to play the game. He's stopped playing the game and I'm still addicted to this day, I think it irritates him a bit that I can whip his a$$ in it now. Thats probably why he wont play MP against me! :lol:
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
El_lobo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by El_lobo »

I think I bougth it in the City I grew up in. I rediscovered it while visiting my folks, where it was stored with some of my old stuff in a box.
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

:D I bought it used at what was the called EB. I think I only payed $10 for it. Best money I've spent. 8)
Ashdown
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Ashdown »

It was so long ago, but I think it was a few months after it was released in 1999. I bought it in a GAME store in Limerick City, and I must have paid the full price, which must have been about 30 Irish pounds. This currency no longer exists.

I remember that my PC at the time was only just meeting the system requirements, so the game slowed down if I tried to play it on the large maps. That was a looong time ago.
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi Ashdown

The slowing down was an inherent fault with the game and to a greater or lesser degree depending on your system configuration is still a problem which can be worked around to a degree

Have you since installed it on a quicker PC and have you started playing again?

Pigman
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

I bought mine summer of 2000 at Best Buy. It was a brand new copy in the bargain bin for $10. Then about three years ago it came up missing so I bought a used copy off ebay for $70. YIKES! Turns out my brother had the original. I still need to try and sell one and make my money back.
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

eber3

I've noticed that Joker's 1.02 patch and possibly the UDM 3.0 installers (not 100% sure) require you to have original CD in order to install

Not sure if you can get around this by mounting an ISO copy on a virtual CD drive, but wouldn't care to risk it

We have 2 copies of original disk in our house and I wouldn't risk selling either for $70.00 or even twice that

You'll easily get your $70.00 value out of it, so my advice is keep both

Pigman
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I'm amazed my origional disk still works...it's scratched to f**k and then some. i have at least made a copy of the disk some years ago which i have used sucessfully with the pathes and mods on here :)

Some of the mods on here (BOP springs to mind and the hades patch for vanilla) are set up so while you're installing the mod it also adds something so you no longer need to use the disk to play the game with said mods.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder

Return to “General Chat Archive”