New federation and klingon ship desgins afc pelase read.

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

how to open res file in vista?

Post by liteview1701 »

Hi how do i open the res file on windows vista it doesnt seem to open with winzip7?
Last edited by liteview1701 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

Post by liteview1701 »

Wich is the best mod anyway to download with all ships for botf
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

There's no mod that would have all ships.

From the top of my head UDM, UM and the borg mod (the one from Jigalypuff not the old one) all have new ships.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

@FLOCKE

I have been playing around with Blender, but my models end up looking like poo!!

How would you fell about writing a tutorial which is easy to understand?
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

sean_west wrote:@FLOCKE

I have been playing around with Blender, but my models end up looking like poo!!

How would you fell about writing a tutorial which is easy to understand?
:lol: Yeah, give me more work to do, I like that! :lol:
No, I can understand that cause it has been very hard to me as well, learning how to handle blender 3D.
But currently I've other things to do than writing a complete tutorial about every piece of modeling with blender. And there really are alot of tutorials and even books about blender!
But if there's something specific...

For example spaceships normally are symmetric, so you should use the mirror modifier! It makes things much easier - especially with its clipping ability. ;)

You could show me your results and I make suggestions for improvement. :)
liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

Ok nutters check this ship out

Post by liteview1701 »

uss_liteview 1701

try messin with ma designs now eh.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Ok nutters check this ship out

Post by Flocke »

liteview1701 wrote:try messin with ma designs now eh.
Easy, just delete it, that's nothing I would call a model. It's somethin' like build out of little blocks little children play with.

No, sry, that's a little hard, most people begin like that. You just combine primitive objects with each other. Sometimes it's good to use more than one primitive object to model something, but it's always possible to model everything just out of one single primitive object. That's what you should try. Not cause it's the best way to model the enterprise, but it would force you to learn low level mesh modeling basics.

I'm not sure if you've used Blender3D, but the box in the middle might be a scaled version of the default box always given as a base when starting a new project with blender.
And I give you some tool examples to use for this task for modeling with Blender3D (and as already told before, you've to use them in Edit Mode - select object and switch by [ tab ]-key on keyboard):

Change View:
Use [ alt ] key or middle mouse button and move mouse to rotate view, additionally use [ shift ] to move view or [ Ctrl ] to zoom.

Selection:
Switch between Vertex, Edge and Face mode, toggled by little buttons (points, lines, triangle) and occlude button to prevent hidden stuff from selection.
Select by right mouse button (+ [ shift ] key) or use [ b ] key on keyboard for selection.
Type [ a ] to deselect all selected or to select all if none are selected.

Mesh Modeling basics of the basics:
Move selected by grabbing with [ g ] key, rotate by [ r ] key, scale by [ s ] key. Or of course by the buttons/menus on screen + selecting one of the axis-arrows or the white circle shown in screen with your mouse.

Mesh Modeling basics:
Extrusion: Select faces to extrude, press [ e ], select "region" and move mouse away.
Limit to Axis: Type [ z ], or [ z ] then again [ z ] to limit tool to Z axis global or local, [ x ] for x axis, [ y ] for y axis, [ alt ]+[ z ] to limit to all but the Z axis,... before applying the change. This works for all axis depending modeling tools, including, grab, movement, rotation and extrusion.
You can extrude edges and vertices as well if you wish.
Subdevide: In the mesh tools in tool panel (normally on the bottom) you can subdevide selected faces and/or edges.
Deletion: You can delete faces, edges or vertices by [ del ] key, but faces always depend on edges and edges on vertices.
Make Edge/face: Select Vertices or edges to connect and press [ f ] key, a face or edge will get created or an error will show up.

This way you can already do alot and with time much better than what you've done so far. Colouring each face in its specific colour is possible, but totally unimportant if you want to texture it lateron anyway.

With "Mirror" modifier, not the normal mirror function, you've only to model half the ship, as told before. You can search the web for mirror modifier + blender and you'll find out what ever you need to know.

I think these are enough basics, show me a better model done with blender out of a single primitive object and you might get more. Still waiting on models of sean_west. :)
liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

Post by liteview1701 »

Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Oblivion »

Just a little constructive criticism.

If you are going to make a model like that (from the mirror universe I believe) at least make sure you have the model symetrical. The engineering deck is not in line with the centre of the saucer, the blue dish is not centred on the engineering deck, and the support struts to the Saucer and Nacelles are not the same on each side.

A hint here, build half the model split down the centre line then select all and use the mirror function. Saves a lot of time and effort.
liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

OK

Post by liteview1701 »

Listen Oblivion with all do respect f*** off if ur the one from afc on armada f*** off cus u got me banned d**ck**d :evil:
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

hey stay cool...oblivion actualy gave you a good hint...it requires a lot of experience to make a really good model. some of the moders here do this for years
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Re: OK

Post by jonboylondon »

liteview1701 wrote:Listen Oblivion with all do respect f*** off if ur the one from afc on armada f*** off cus u got me banned d**ck**d :evil:
I say old chap...less of the pottymouth...its just not cricket!!

JBL
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
Paddy
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Paddy »

liteview1701
Listen Oblivion with all do respect f*** off if ur the one from afc on armada f*** off cus u got me banned d**ck**d :evil:

language * is dreadfull please clean it up. Im sure the rules state no flaming.

Paddy
liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

OK

Post by liteview1701 »

Ok i am cool but the guy got me banned from armada he started arguments without no reason. something a true friend helped me with.

liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

ok somethink of a newer refit

Post by liteview1701 »

ambassoder refit

looks like the constitution a bit but i duno i tink it looks good also how do i open the res file in vista

Return to “General Chat Archive”