Nonsensical diplomatic messages

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Nonsensical diplomatic messages

Post by Martok »

So I don't know if I'm just incredibly blind and never noticed it til now, or if this has honestly never happened to me before:

Twice now in the last 5 turns -- once with the Romulans, the second time with the Klingons -- I've received warnings from both empires to not cut through their space. Problem is, I hadn't done so! Aside from the first time(s) I stumbled into their territory when we first met, I've behaved myself and have not once crossed through any sector in Romulan green or Klingon red.

Has anyone else experienced this bug, or am I just having a weird night?
Last edited by Martok on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
ketteringdave
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by ketteringdave »

Not the same issue, but another example of some diplomatic confusion:

I'm currently playing as the Romulans, and I've some minor race trying to attack my planets (no big threat, a slight population loss until I chase them away). It seems like the game could never quite handle this kind of thing, since it says that Romulans are bombarding the system.

Well, the issue goes deeper than that. I also have an alliance with the Federation. So after a few attack runs by this minor race, I get a diplomatic message from the Federation - "We cannot condone your bombing of the Romulans" or whatever. So, apparently, the Federation is now unhappy that I'm allowing my systems to be attacked? :D
eber3
Captain
Captain

Re: Nonsensical diplomatic messages

Post by eber3 »

Martok wrote:...I've behaved myself and have not once crossed through any sector in Romulan green or Klingon red.
If you fly through contested space they may still send this warning.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

:lol:

I've had it a few times where i've not actually discovered a major empire yet I get a mesage from them whining at me for expanding too close to their borders...
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Nonsensical diplomatic messages

Post by Martok »

eber3 wrote:If you fly through contested space they may still send this warning.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's a moot point in my case, as I don't have any disputed sectors with either empire.

stardust wrote::lol:

I've had it a few times where i've not actually discovered a major empire yet I get a mesage from them whining at me for expanding too close to their borders...

Hmm, interesting. Don't think I've ever run into that one yet! :lol:
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

It's happened a few times but when it last happepend the other day i had an alliance with the federation who knew where the Romulans are, and because of the alliance you're privvy to what their scout s are scanning on the map, so i knew they were there (could see their outposts anyway) but we hadn't actually met.

wonder if it's that that causes it.?

My 4shared folder
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

I don't think so, since this happens also without an alliance.

I guess it's a savegame issue. I.e. it appeared only if I reloaded a save and altered ship movement (most in order to avoid a first contact) sometime afore in game IIRC.

That I call the "wrath of unknown empire" bug. Cause thier attitude towards you decreases soever.

Never seen or heard of Martok's or ketteringdave's (very funny btw :lol: ) bug yet.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I just seemed to recall it happening when i had an alliance, but yeah, come to think of it i did accidentally discover the romulans then went back a turn and diverted the colony ship what was to blame for it seeing as i was too lazy to deal with their intel attacks :lol:

@ KetteringDave...the federation are a fine one to talk about ot letting your own systems being attacked...i once saw them peeve the Breen off in one mod and see the Breen wipe out 6 Federation colonies :twisted:

My 4shared folder
Antni
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Antni »

I've always wondered in BOTF how come when you've sent spes to one of the other races they send you a message saying somthing like "remove your spies or we'll be forced to retaliate" and when you discover you have spies in your empire you cant sent that message to them (unless it automatically does it) anyone know?
"Speak for yourself sir I plan to live forever" Cmdr William Riker.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

There's a lot diplomatic messages only AI can sent. I think it's just an AI game cosmetics. But BotF diplomacy was always quite poor. It's a pity. :(
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Antni
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Antni »

aye it is :( still a great game though :D
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

pointless blasted war pacts spring to mind when you say that, Spock...

I've had yet another game ruined by 2 empires teaming up on me like that.
Mind i'm just sitting back, as the Romulans nicking their minors via bribing, blasting the odd outpost for no real reason and crippling them with my intel for ages :twisted:

My 4shared folder
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Ugh. One of my biggest pet peeves diplomacy-wise is when an empire declares war on you the turn right after you meet them, and especially when two empires suddenly decide to team up on you for damn reason. It drives me crazy!! :x

I had a very nice Ferengi campaign going on when I ran into the Romulans. They refused my offer of a non-aggression treaty, but otherwise made no hostile moves towards me. About 15-20 turns later I run into the Feds; the very next turn, both them and the Romulans declared war. I was so disgusted by that turn of events that I quit the campaign and haven't come back to it since. :evil:
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

well i'm having a game where i've mucked about with the map before starting.

just for something different i moved the 5 empires so they were far apart from each other, grouped most of the stars near each empire so we can all have a close knit hub, and then a odd few stars and this 'galactic rift' i've made up from all the stellar phemomenae running through the middle of the map.

So i've got 2 empires at war with me and they can only reach about 2 of my systems out in the rift that is making any sort of warnings of enemy fleet movements very difficult to pick up, because the scan range is screwed, so these systems have got about 30 orbitals to play with :evil:

All i'm really doing is scouting the feds and fergs with a stolen federation scout and bribing away ther minors and carving them up with intel.

My 4shared folder
Antni
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Antni »

has anyone had a game where all 4 other races gang up on ya? i've had one or two not all 4 make offences though.

Return to “General Chat Archive”