Long Turns - UDM III 3.0.i3

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Long Turns - UDM III 3.0.i3

Post by Tethys »

Im experiencing long turns around the 100 mark taking about 40 seconds to 1 minute to complete a turn. I've been reading thru the forums at other ppls long turns and i will try turning off the system names to see if that makes any difference with the turns taking so long. If this does not solve my problem, i will be back...

My computer specs are as follows:

XP Sp 3
AMD Athlon 64 @ 1.8 Ghz
2.0 GB RAM
Nvid Geforce 7300 GS @ 512 Mhz - Pci Slot 3
Nvid Nforce Motherboard (410 I believe) by Biostar
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

When you get the slow down save your game and reboot BOTF. That usually works for me.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

it worked a little bit but not much to be happy with. it incresed the speed by about 5 - 10 seconds... and i cant turn autosave off because my computer frequently 'restarts' for unknown reasons...
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

beepo wrote:When you get the slow down save your game and reboot BOTF. That usually works for me.
Sounds like a memory leak.

"help 7 of 9! The bio-gel packs are leaking!"

~Joel :D
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

I've been testing a theory, well, kinda
I know there's a memory leak with the game, but I do believe that turn times are also heavily tied to fleet sizes
I just tripled the maintanance cost of all ships/starbases as well as increasing their production cost
I'm at turn 360, right now and at this time, I usually have to wait anywhere from 12-15 seconds per turn, right now it's 2.5 seconds per turn and has been that way for sometime (Large galaxy, few minor races, set to impossible difficulty)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

interesting... i had a hunch it might be cause the system had to go thru all the different ship movements / ai combats etc with larger fleets..
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

working with UDM so much I like seeing this, This means the AI is doing more as game goes on. I hate game when AI just sits and does nothing.

I had one game as dominion i attacked the feds home world when they were still strong. they asked and gave large gifts to all the other races to declare war on me and they did for the next 50 turns 7 fleets of battleships I lost 2 full fleets but was replaced by 6 more fleets, they were all at least veterans and was protecting 3 systems I built starbases when I could. between turns not counting 2-3 battle per turn every turn wait time was up to 3 min. It was one of the best game I ever played.

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

is there any way to scale down the time it takes between turns besides what has already been recommended?
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Wraith
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Wraith »

Tethys wrote:is there any way to scale down the time it takes between turns besides what has already been recommended?
I dont think so, not without changing the engine of the game.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

turns - problems - mouse - lan

Post by KrazeeXXL »

more ships, more waiting as it seems

As I read this thread I had to think about some old LAN-Sessions, almost a decade ago.
After 150 turns, we had to wait about 5 Minutes and more! And it wasn't able to fight in the same battle like my best friend - the game usually crashes.

At our last session 1 year ago, we didn't had these problems. We fought against each others and it was really cool, but after some turns in an early stage of the game it crashed really often (after almost 2-3 turns - that sucked!)

A half day later we stopped playing. Later we recognised, that my friend had some strange settings in his Logitech Setpoint that killed the game.
He has this Uber-Mouse with the 10 (?) Buttons. He pressed some of them during the game. So he changed them to do nothing. And it worked better.

Just the normal crashes happend

Uh, a little bit, off-topic, sorry ;)
robertbc73
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Long Turns - UDM III 3.0.i3

Post by robertbc73 »

My turns are usually 5 to 10 minutes but I am past turn 200, and have a solid 20% of the galaxy on my scanners.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5

Return to “General Chat Archive”