Installation Error

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Installation Error

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hi,

I've got a huge problem. Yesterday, I loaded some new mods and I recognized, that I didn't had a vanilla stbof.res anymore to test the mods. So I deleted Botf completely and then I just wanted to reinstall it.

Than the error occured - Botf won't install. The autorun.exe and setup.exe are listed in the taskmanager as often I tried to start them. I had this problem 2 years ago and solved it somehow, but now I can't remember what I'd done.

I read some threads about this problem here, but I didn't found a solution as yet.

I cleaned the registry with different programs. I searched in it for entries like microprose, trek and birth and deleted them all.

I think its some problem with securom, but honestly I don't really have a clue at the moment.

I looked also for a ini file in the windows directory, because some old games often created some, but nothing.

I tried different sources to install the game.

1. an old image file I made from my original cd
2. the image file I downloaded here from armadafleetcommand.com
3. my original BotF CD

at the end I tried a simple reboot, without positive results.

I have to say that I'm a little bit confused now.

so please if you have a solution to this problem, help me!

Krazee
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

You can try new multi installer it has solved problems like this before.

Multi BOTF 1.0.2 English German

for more info on multi installers read this post.

Multi-Game/Mod Installer Project

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

thx thunderchero for your fast reply and the link. I'm downloading the file right now and hope it'll working, so I'll be able to kick some Ferengi and Cardis again ;)

edit:
it works! great!
I would really like to thank these guys who developed this installer and the patches within it. Its some years ago, that I was able to watch the videos of the game f.e.

thanks a lot, it means really much for me :-)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I am happy to hear it resolved your problems, I still wonder why this problem you are having is all the sudden happening. this is 4th or 5th time now it has happened it is strange. glad new installer is not effected.

EDIT: I bet it has to due with some new windows update lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

indeed,

2 years ago, I tried to install BotF on my best pals comp, because we wanted to play it against each other during our yearly LAN-Seassion. I remember that we made his comp "more secure and stable" before and installed a lot of patches for Windows...

Now I've got SP3 here. but I don't have this auto-updater activated. I activate it once a month and the clients which are needed to run it. Or I buy some PC-Newspaper, which got these updates on DVD, so I don't have to go on this MS Page. I don't really like this page... and it don't really like me either, it seems ;)

Return to “General Chat Archive”