Anyone remember the first time they played BOTF?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Dwyer99 wrote:..."and I'll try out a different empire and possibly never hit that stupid hail button again, hahah."
lol, I know exactly what you mean. But something within me prevents to "mis-click" the buttons.
I allways recognise it if I f.e. played for some games the feds and then change to roms. In the rom "hailing-screen" (or whatever you want to call it), the buttons are a little bit different arranged. Each time I recognise it, its a little shock for 10 milliseconds :lol:

"don't mis-click or you gonna die" lol funny that someone else has similiar experiences like me to this issue.

btw welcome here @ afc. nice to have another MoO2 player here.

\\//-
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

yeah, welcome Dwyer99,

in such situations, just rename last.sav to another save's name so you can load it. It's the auto.sav of previous turn, if autosave is turned on, hehe.

hf!
Dwyer99
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Dwyer99 »

Thanks for the warm welcome :D I played a bit more last night and am quickly realizing that I need to get out of the MOO2 habits of trying to research and overcolonize at the beginning, doesn't work too well when klingons are ready to wipe every one of my baby colonies with a rather large fleet of ships... Meh, guess I have to build more ships right away.
smallaxe0217
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smallaxe0217 »

I played the Romulan Tutorials, and went on with it after the tutorials ended. I don't recall how it ended up, but I remember that I didn't know how to create a starbase from an outpost...

Reading and playing more gave me good skills and I win pretty much every game I start these days. My favourite team is the Federation...I've used the Cardassians and Ferengi the least. I admit that the main reason I like the Federation is because of the menu layout but I have pretty good strategies that keep me in good gear.

I haven't been able to play online though, unfortunately...
Dwyer99
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Dwyer99 »

Well, the latest with my Romulan game is teaching me a few things:

1) Ferengi early on seem to be more of shark bait than anything else. A few cloaked destroyers do wonders to their wandering fleets.

2) When attacking a minor race with orbitals, you better bring your transports with your fleet as once you blow up their orbitals, you seem to have a narrow window to invade before they rebuild their orbitals and mincemeat my fledgling fleet.

3) I should probably actually setup trade routes as I am now tending to overbuild fleets that my normal economy can't support.

Bah, I've got quite a bit to learn I suppose.
Dwyer99
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Dwyer99 »

Okay, so while I'm at it, any recommendations for a good starting setup to learn the game? I'm getting a bit frustrated starting at tech 1 or 2... not necessarily that the game seems to be slow, but moreso that without more than destoyers ship wise, invading systems seems to be a near fruitless task.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I suggest you to read some of the strategy guides. You can find them here in the form. The content many useful information. I have to admit, even after 10 years playing this game, I still don't know anything about it and have still much to learn :lol:
chmr621
Ensign
Ensign

Post by chmr621 »

I cant remeber how long ago it was when i first played but i remember that I was the Feds and it was a T5 game and around turn 300 or so the Romulans declared war on me and wiped me out lol

Return to “General Chat Archive”