Please stop the crashing / freezing?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

TurboC, I'm glad that I could help you with this dang problem.
maybe try using other keys like cursor in galaxy overview and production (left + right), F1-F5, "s" and "e" if I remember right and use mouse as less as you can ;)
but dont be sure to 100%! I save really really often and maybe in 1/100 it will crash.

late night it was odd. I played a mp (UDM3) with Dissy and was Klingons. at first the voice was okay in game, then it switched to the Dominion one. I wrote to him, that I had a "minor" bug and he answered that he won't call it a bug. So I didnt mind it at all. I gave 4k to the Tanugans and they offered me a friendship proposal. I hit F5, and wanted to accept it. As I clicked on "accept" it crashed with a shattering of the Dominion voice.
After a reboot, I switched off voice and the game worked fine.

Later in the morning I wanted to play a TRNG SP game and my fav tac comb error occured again. After 2 reboots every 3 fights I switched the voice down, too. and it seemed to work. I did at least 20 fights until I got an error I didn't have before. it was at the end of the tactical combat as I wanted to end the turn, clicked on the button to do so and then it crashed.

maybe a "hotkey" - a script/macro for some things would be a good idea to avoid crashes. but I'm not really into scripts. So it will take "some" time. just a little idea I have right now in this moment.
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

I can't even imagine trying to play multiplayer with a game this crashy. I'm just glad I can save now. Finally passed 200 turns. 8) Ferengi on hard, was actually pretty easy, I've just waited forever to invade, still haven't. Just kept bribing people to like me. And even though I have a fleet of about 36 T2 war cruisers, I'm still terrified of a Borg invasion. :roll:
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

TurboC wrote: And even though I have a fleet of about 36 T2 war cruisers, I'm still terrified of a Borg invasion. :roll:
Well you've more than enough firepower to destroy a cube, but it'll take out most of your cruisers, unless you build a few wings of scouts.
For some reason if you face the borg with a mixed fleet like that and you set your light ships to evade it'll waste it's time trying to scrap them while your cruisers turn it inside out with their torpedoes.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Sure, they can take out a cube if say, half of them are right there waiting wherever the cube pops up. Otherwise, the cube will probably spawn more cubes before I can get there, then I'm toast. Hasn't happened yet in this game... I do have Rubicun, though. Is the Edo God immune to cubes?
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

hmm, I've never found out. I know the Guardian's got more than enough firepower to take out a Cube, though i've got an idea the Cube can do likewise to the Guardian
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

interesting question. Edo Guardian vs. Borg Cube.
In my mind, Borg attacks only weak points where fleet is some turns away. it seemed to be so in my games.
maybe someone made a fight between them and could tell us who won.

the stats of both:

EDO God | BORG Cube
costs: 120110 | 126220
costs per turn: 892 | 638
( I never found out whats about the issue with the prices )

shields: 4140 | 4390
refresh rate shields: 235 | 185
hull: 1035 | 785

beam weapons: level 240 | 290
ammount : 27 | 37
strength: 45 | 45

torpedoes level : 180 | -
ammount : 24 | -
strength 76 | -

Techlevel: everything T7 | T7

in fact it has torpedoes I think the EDO God should be at least equal to the cube, maybe it's better, i don't really know.
the other question is, which one of them will shoot at first?
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

I didn't notice the Borg attacking weak points, but I did notice that once they target your colonies, they go after YOUR colonies until you are gone. "The Borg don't do anything piecemeal." :lol: One game I was Ferengi and winning, then the Borg wiped me out. I tried making a refuge colony WAY far away from everything, thinking I could fool them while they destroyed some opponents -- they immediately came right there and took me out, bypassing other large empires.

I have heard that the Edo God always wins against a cube. That's why I'm thinking that if you did have Rubicun, the Borg would eat all your other systems, then finally (since they have to continue to target you) they would all smash 1 by 1 into the Edo God and get wiped out. I'm not even entirely certain that cubes only attack 1 at a time in BotF though. Also, you would be pretty screwed with Rubicun as your only system. You could re-colonize, but the worlds are all lifeless after the Borg hit them... I forget what they end up as. Some kind of grey "barren" worlds I think. And I don't remember if Rubicun even has dilithium...
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hm in fact the EDO God is a little bit like a starbase, maybe its range is longer. A look into the ue would help to clarify. it has more power and should win... but I never seen the Borg attacking the Edo. maybe I'll try this out, if they show up again. In my last games they allways seemed to hide...

playing mp games is quite cool. but stoic calmness and time is needed if you still want enjoy playing them ;)
I have good experiences with Hades 2.2 and crashes seem to decreased since I use it. maybe BotF is working better on NVIDIA cards. I wished I won't have bought an ATI again. Maybe its something with CUDA. dang I wished I could use my ATI with its 1gb ram for my BOINC projects. what a waste of ressources :(
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

KrazeeXXL wrote:I never seen the Borg attacking the Edo.
Probably because the game prevents more than one monster per sector. :wink:

I opened a topic in search of a modding solution.
It was called "help required for lonly monsters" iirc.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Interesting. Then I wonder if you can hide out in Rubicun until the Borg wipe everyone else out? I know they'd want to keep attacking you, but I don't know for sure if other cubes wouldn't also attack the other races.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I guess I have been lucky til now.For 9 years I only experienced random tactical crashes every 100 rounds wish wasn't that bad at all. Yes it's annoying like hell but thanks to the autosave function nothing's lost.

Now that the videos finally work again on my XP SP3 PC everything's just great. I once experienced a battle of the Edo god vs. a cube. And the cube was easily outgunned.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hehe, cool thanks for this information captaindusk ;) you detained me from a total assimilation to figure this one out!
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Yeah let's hope so. But be careful I only experienced it once. Maybe it isn't going to happen that way always.

Another question which is a little off topic but I shortly read in a post that the defiant had a cloaking device in UDM II. Is there one in UDM IIIi either? I'm close but couldn't figure it out yet, cause I just started playing BotF again since 2 years right before registering here.

I had a great lack of motivation all those years because of the slowdowns due to the required CD in the drive. Thanks to you guys everything's quite perfect now.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hm, I checked the readme of the UM2 and didnt found a change of the cloaking device. but texture models were changed in it.

you can simply add a cloaking device. use DCER's Ultimate Editor (you need java) or BotFed or others and add it if you want.

I played UM1 for 3 years and edited it completely. gave all klingons cloak and altered many stats. was really cool and gave me lots of fun in playing this game.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Thanks Pal. Very cool. I got the ultimate installer already. After registering here I downloaded every mod, Patch or other BotF improvement made from this site, burned it all to DVD, made 2 backup copies and named them "BotF Collection" ^^ Glad to have it.

I guess I'll go to sleep after the first episode of season 5 and give the ultimate editor a try tomorrow.
Last edited by captaindusk on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat Archive”