Is the late game always this boring? A few other questions.

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Is the late game always this boring? A few other questions.

Post by HsojVvad »

In my first game, I was getting owned from the Klingons. This time they were the last race I met so didn't have to fight them in combat.

I didn't have much space combat in this current game I am playing. I conquered the Romulans, Caradisans, and finally the Ferengi. I had to conquer them planetar assault them all, and no space combat what so ever.

dosn't the AI build up ships in the late game? I know they shure did in my first game, or is it different in all games? I am still having fun, but no I am way over powered with ships and nobody else has them. I am playing on regular level, not shure if that has anything to do with it.

I don't know how you guys feel, but getting a minor race into my federation, seems like cheating sometimes because some times, or most times, thier planets are way better than mine. I still do it, since it costs me lots and lots of money to get them, so I guess it's worth it. But it does feel like a cheat sometimes.

Anthour problem I am having, as the Federation is when I conquer other planets, (they decleared war on me) is the only option I have is too subjicate them? I don't want the morale penalty, isn't there a way to liberate the planet instead? I thought there was an option for it, but I don't see it.

If not is there a way to get a planet without sending troops transport to the planet and taking it by force that way?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

maybe its the "upgrade over 50000 or 65535 bug"/I read about some bug with the shipbuilding was been fixed in some mod or new version (1.0.3?) if I remember right.

for the case of getting bored in later stages:
For this case I left each of them at least ~10 systems, so they can invent farther and build some more and better ships. It seems the a.i. gives up if you're to overwhelming. therefor I let them grow in sp.

I like to let the ferengi alive, because he has so much money and will share it with the others so they will get some more. if you have some millions than try to give your opponents some 100k and see what they'll do with this. at least they will tell you, that you thrown it out the window ;)

btw. my biggest opponent was the Ferengi one time, with over 350 ships. I wanted a major battle but he parted his 350 into 5 major fleets and I destroyed them 1 by 1 without problems. this was really fun to catch them all and destroy them, while the romulan build many ships on the other hand and tried to surprise me. don't kill them to much and let them some systems they can colonize ;)

edit: grammar again
Last edited by KrazeeXXL on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

play humans, HsojVvad: won't regret it
Last edited by ruthlessferengi on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Liberating planets is only for minor races that someone else had previously conquered. It returns them to non-aligned status. It probably gives the Federation a big morale boost, but I'm not certain.

What difficulty are you on? If you're bored, try a harder difficulty? Usually once you feel safe, you've won. Then if you want to "win" it can become a chore, depending on your tastes I guess. There's also 4 other empires to choose from, each with its own set of rules...
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

as I was bored I found a nice mod... called the planetmod. It was really fun for me. I played it combined with other mods for a long time. The homesystems are really big in it. Sol has a size of 910 and Cardassia 1050 I think. there are class 9 automatic farms in the homeworlds, too. even if you play T1, there are in it and you don't have to upgrade them. with planetmod I was able to build really big fleets and enjoy micromanagment even a "lil'" bit more ;)
eekee
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by eekee »

Ohmigawwwd there's still a community for BotF!!!! :D

Okay, with that off my chest, :) regarding the Federation... The aim of the game is to dominate & the game makers knew this. You do have to be somewhat careful about subjugating minor races, but if your people have plenty of other reasons to feel good you can get away with it. "Other reasons to feel good" includes victory in space battles, so the net effect is that in wartime you can get away with a lot more conquest than you'd think.

Regarding aggressive minor races generally, I haven't had a great deal of trouble unless I stray into their sector. They don't seem to build ships too quickly, and the ones with the good ships don't stray too far. Then again, I've not played too many games when I start from a low level yet >_>
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

eekee wrote:Ohmigawwwd there's still a community for BotF!!!! :D
I felt the exactly the same way as I stumpled across armadafleet.com one month ago ;)

So I welcome you here! there are many people like you and me who still love this game even after all this years. So enjoy browsing the forum with its many informations, try out the mods, and ask questions if you have some.

have fun! and QAPLA'
eekee
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by eekee »

Thanks! :D I've been looking at the multiplayer forum. I don't understand all the warzone stuff but figured I could host direct-ip.

May your future be profitable! Wait... do I want to adopt a Ferengi persona? hmm... I am rather good at playing them.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Anyone who's finding the AI bit of a breeze then how about this: It's a set up a member on here who goes by the name of JonBoyLondon ...he sets a game up where he starts on T4 but all the other empires are set to t5 and he seems to rave on about how much of a challenege it is for him, especially using the Ultimate Dominion mod...it's something i might give a go when i get bored with early tech games.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder

Return to “General Chat Archive”