Thoughts on the new "Star Trek" movie

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

point taken thunder ,i've edited my post and apologies to all for the use of incorrect language.
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Same thing for me there. Sorry.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Didn't read all the treads after page 5 but wanted to say this first before I forget.

Yes lots of people love this moive. Lots of people who hate this movie. For the people who hate this movie but Love The Next Generation and after, remember, the die hards of TOS, hated anything after it also, so basiacally you are just like them then.

I havn't seen it yet, (more important movies to see first for me) but at least Star Trek is back, good or bad. Remember if the old Star Trek was so good, how did we endu up with Inusrection and Nemisis?

BTW I loved Star Trek V The Undiscovered Country. I thought it was one of the best ST movies. Crappy graphics, YES. Not much action YES, but it had an awsome story and great character development.

Oh wait for those who say ST V was bad, and the new ST movie is bad, what do you want then? Those are 2 opposite movies and you still are not happy. What do you want then?
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

HsojVvad

Star Trek V was "The Final Frontier" and comes right near the bottom of the list of Star Trek films for me.

"The Undiscovered Country" was Star Trek VI and I have to agree with you, that is one of the very best and ranks up with "The Wrath of Khan" and I'm sure I'll get disagreement over this but "The Voyage Home" is also a favourite for me, as it captures some of the feel of TOS.

I am a die-hard TOS fan and I did hate Next Gen for a long time, but with the introduction of Voyager and then Enterprise, Next Gen almost looks good to me. However, I love DS9 almost as much as TOS.

We will all have our favourites and despite all the holes and lack of Trek feel, I still enjoyed the new movie, but even if it's obviously there as a money spinner to appeal to mass market and not Trek fans, is that so bad if it brings in new fans who may get to discover the magic of Star Trek, whichever flavour they end up prefering.....and who knows, if there's enough of an outcry from the paying public, maybe Abrams will have to send the new crew back in time to put the timeline back as it should be.

BTW, I thought the new Kirk was reasonable and got many of the mannerisms right, Spock was better and the new McCoy was excellent. For me Scotty's character was not done justice.

Live long and prosper

Pigman
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

HsojVvad wrote:Lots of people love this moive. Lots of people who hate this movie. For the people who hate this movie but Love The Next Generation and after, remember, the die hards of TOS, hated anything after it also, so basiacally you are just like them then.
No. Stop equivocating. TNG built on Star Trek and took it to a new level -- it was CREATED by the SAME MAN that created TOS!!! The new "Star Trek" movie was created by a television hack who doesn't even watch Star Trek!

NO. COMPARISON. POSSIBLE.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Personally, I loved the film, it was well worth seeing.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Thunderchero,

I too would like to apologize to the entire community for using rude language. Even though I did censor the words, I totally see where you are coming from. If I didn't know they were bad words to begin with I wouldn't have censored them after all. I have been posting here for quite a while and I've never before done anything to disgrace myself like this. Once again, I apologize to everyone for my lapse in good taste. I will edit my remarks to remove the offensive words and imagery, and I promise not to repeat this behavior.

Eber3
smallaxe0217
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smallaxe0217 »

Martok wrote:
captaindusk wrote:To all of you who keep saying "Star Trek is dead, Abrams killed it, Roddenbery would rotate in his grave" I've got one question. WHY isn't it Star Trek? There's the NCC 1701 and the crew we've all known for so many years. I started watching TOS again yesterday and it's not THAT different.

Yes, it is THAT different. This new film is action-oriented instead of more story/character-driven like (most of) the previous films. (It's a big reason why this travesty of a movie failed to "grip" me -- even with horrible movies like The Final Frontier, I still had more emotional investment in it than in JJ's claptrap.)

For comparison, note that Nemesis (which sucked harder than an industrial-strength Hoover vacuum cleaner) was also action-heavy and light on story/character development. For contrast, note Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, and/or First Contact -- now *those* were good stories (in movie form)!
Character-driven? Star Trek? The only Star Trek series I would truly call character-driven was Deep Space Nine, and the main character-driven movies were First Contact and Khan, and...well, THIS Star Trek movie. It sets up the characters and shows the changes in both Kirk and Spock, showing how one becomes captain from being a knucklehead and how the other resolves/deals with coming from two worlds and losing one. I think the main objection is that it isn't the star trek that we used to know, and many people don't like that...but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I applaud captaindusks mellowing of mind.

Respect to all.
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

After TOS, DS9 is easily the second best Star Trek series IMHO and that didn't need Roddenbery!!

I'm not saying I'm a great fan of the film, but have watched it twice and there's been a lot of Star Trek in the past that's worse!

Can't understand why everyone's getting so bothered about this. If you don't like it, don't buy the DVD. There's still loads of TNG, VGR and ENT that I've never watched as they don't float my boat and BTW, TNG didn't build on TOS IMO, it just rehashed a load of the TOS storylines and ideas (Trellane/Q for example) and just because it had more money for better sets and special effects doesn't mean it's better.

I think the only character I like from TNG is Picard. The rest are pale imitations of what a Star Trek character should be.

Maybe a bit off topic, but surely we've done this one to death and I'll just be happy if it brings new fans to the genre (maybe they'll revisit TOS for some real Star Trek).

Live long and prosper

Pigman
Karstedt
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Karstedt »

I though the new McCoy was awesome! Ok, so maybe he was a little over the top and comical, and maybe the guy acted like he watched every episode and movie with DeForest Kelley's McCoy and intensely worked on imitating everything from mannerisms to facial twitches. But I got a kick out of it.
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Pigman wrote:I think the only character I like from TNG is Picard. The rest are pale imitations of what a Star Trek character should be.
Data was a pale imitation? 8O He may have been another take on Spock, but also different and new in a lot of ways.

As for "new fans", keep in mind that a lot of these "new fans" of "Star Trek" hate what most people loved about the REAL Star Trek, think you are an intellectual nerd for ever liking the old Star Trek, and think they are entitled to bend over your childhood memories and rape them. That's not what I'd call a good extension of the fanbase.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

TNG was the best series, IMHO. Way better than the original. I was an original fan until TNG came out, then everything about TOS seemed primitive. Enterprise series sucked, IMHO. I liked DS9 except for when the cast developed relationships. That ruined it for me. I also liked Voyager, the later years especially.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hm, have to say that the movie has indeed a fff. I mean the "fast-food-factor".

It isn't bad and I downloaded it some days after it came into the cinema. Watched it now for 4 times at home and somehow it's nothing special about it. It's like i almost forgotten about it.

I hope they'll develop the characters in the next one better and go a little bit more into detail. The action was cool and can stay this way, too. And the Soundtrack has 2 really great songs in it and somehow fits to the movie.

I guess I won't remember most parts of the movie in 10-15 years compared to all other Trek movies (inclusive Nemesis).

So now, some weeks after watching it for the first time and after the dust which settled down, I can understand ppl better who mourn(ed) about the JJ-FFF.

But I look optimistic into the future. The movie is a success and so JarJar has enough time to think about the next one. XI was a fast and clean cut to old Trek and now Binks has the big task to create a new one. I hope Michael Piller and Steven Behr or whoever from the old crew - will give him their support by creating some cool new "Trekmosphere".

Maybe they feel the same way like many ppl here and will interfere (a little). Perhaps not. We'll see, like we allways do.

At least after the success, JJ can go into holidays and hopefully will watch some of the old ST while relaxing - to understand whats about this "Trekmosphere"...
severenth
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by severenth »

KrazeeXXL wrote:It isn't bad and I downloaded it some days after it came into the cinema
And people wonder why films are becoming so crap these days
Last Multiplayer Game :-
update pending
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

severenth wrote:And people wonder why films are becoming so crap these days
Senseless conclusion.

I even bought Nemesis for :lol: 50 Euro... some ppl in this country have to work 33 hours for 50 Euro...

So, I ruined Trek in downloading the movie after watching it on the premiere in the cinema :lol:

btw, I will buy this movie, too. But until it isn't in the stores as yet I had no other possibility to watch it again. You know, it was hard enough to become a free day to watch the movie with my best friend on the 6th...

btw, all other ppl I know and that's a lot, don't like Star Trek... I guess they have their reasons...

But I hope this situation will change. In the past you were allways able to say that you're a SW fan but if you said you're a ST fan - many ppl called you a nerd, a geek, a freak and laughed about you... for that reason ST wasn't at the top of my list on themes to talk about with the most ppl.

So even if the movie isn't Trek and like someone said before: maybe it will bring ST closer to a bigger audience who may become fans of even our old Trek... and will buy stuff... If these ppl don't go into the cinema and download the movie in fact of Star Treks old reputation I have no problem with it.

btw I've written in this thread before... that I have a house full of original dvds... but never mind... make your snapshots without thinking and reading before but don't wonder if you get such answers like this one here...

now I'm definetely out of this thread

p.s.: as if downloading the movie would change it... if it's cool then ppl will buy it. And I don't think you will buy it - so you won't help the next movie to become better in some ways, too. And thats the reason why your conclusion is absolutely senseless for me.

Return to “General Chat Archive”