Thoughts on the new "Star Trek" movie

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Guys, this constant whining is rather annoying. If you don't like the film, fine, and whilst you are entitled to your oppinion do you really need to keep criticising it over and over?

A fitting quote from Nimoy and JJ:

'..so just don’t see the movie, if that is what your life is about and that is the way you want to envision your relationship to Star Trek and the world, fine. This is a movie. It is a movie! You want to go see it â€" chances are you are going to enjoy yourself if you open your mind to it. If you go to see it to find fault and to point out the things you think are inconsistencies, chances are you won’t have a good time and you would have wasted your time and money so why bother?'

And all this talk of pirating the movie as a protest, is quite frankly, childish.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

RSE_Chris wrote:Guys, this constant whining is rather annoying.
I agree with your comments about pirating the movie. But really I could turn the rest of your statement around on you.

If you like the movie and are annoyed by the complaining, stop reading the complaints!

There are far more complaints on this thread in this forum then praise. Go talk about it on just about any other, non hardcore, Trek forum and ninety some percent will agree with you that this movie is the best Trek ever.

As for me and others, If I want to mourn the fact that the financial success of this INO (in name only) movie has put the final nail in the Star Trek coffin, that is my right.
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

I'm really gonna have to get my starfleet uniform dry cleaned and go to see the movie,but i'll warn you now, if young spocks ears are the wrong size i'll walk right out of the place !! and if anything fast and exciting happens to disturb my slumber ,i shall write a letter of protest to my mp telling him to stop those idiots in hollywood from bringing star trek into the 21st centuary,
so there!!!
Last edited by carcher on Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

eber3 wrote:
RSE_Chris wrote:Guys, this constant whining is rather annoying.
I agree with your comments about pirating the movie. But really I could turn the rest of your statement around on you.

If you like the movie and are annoyed by the complaining, stop reading the complaints!

There are far more complaints on this thread in this forum then praise. Go talk about it on just about any other, non hardcore, Trek forum and ninety some percent will agree with you that this movie is the best Trek ever.

As for me and others, If I want to mourn the fact that the financial success of this INO (in name only) movie has put the final nail in the Star Trek coffin, that is my right.
The only way to not read complaints is to avoid this thread all together, unless I use the ignore button which I would rather not do.

The fact that there are more complaints than praise has nothing to do with this and yes you are entitled to your oppinion - I said this in my original post.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Without having to read the 6 pages of comments, can anyone tell me if the movie is worth watching?

A simple yes or no would suffice.
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

mickar wrote:Without having to read the 6 pages of comments, can anyone tell me if the movie is worth watching?

Yes
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

Yes paid to see it twice.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

mickar wrote:Without having to read the 6 pages of comments, can anyone tell me if the movie is worth watching?

No.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I don't think that a collection of "yes or no" will help you with your decision wether the movie is worth watching or not. Why don't you just go to the cinema, watch ST XI and decide afterwards wether you like it or not? Just a suggestion. :wink:

To answer your question: For me the first time it wasn't that great but the second and third time it kept getting better and better and now I like it a lot. So for me it is worth watching.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

RSE_Chris wrote: The only way to not read complaints is to avoid this thread all together...
That was exactly my point. Just like you saying don't watch the movie if you don't like it, I say don't read the thread if you don't like it. I even pointed out that ninety some percent of the threads about this movie on the net love it. So unlike someone who hates the movie, you have a million other options to see the forum comments you want to see.
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

mickar: I'd say it's worth a matinee -- even if you hate it, you will have a lot to hate and therefore discuss. If you enjoy complaining, this movie could give you lots of fuel. :lol:
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

If you go in with an open mind you just might enjoy it. I went to watch it and viewed it from a sci-fi movie aspect first and a Trek movie second. I like Captaindusk enjoyed more the second time around. :D
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Second time around enjoyed it more than I expected, but saw more flaws, as you'd expect.

For example, I seem to remember from TOS that Vulcan has no moon and no matter how the timeline has changed, a moon isn't going to suddenly appear!

Don't know why people are getting so aggresive about it though. No one's been forced to watch it.

Still prefer TOS to everything else.

Regards

Pigman
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Pigman wrote: Don't know why people are getting so aggresive about it though. No one's been forced to watch it.
Pigman, let me try to answer that... I have avoided making many comments about this film on others sites, since the few I have made have come across as aggressive to the supporters of "new" Trek. I've made more here simply because there are more people here who agree with me, which makes me feel less like I'm picking fights with other people.

Yes, I know Star Trek is just a fictional show/movie franchise and therefore from that standpoint this isn't exactly a major issue, like say the abortion debate. Even though it is just a show, it's also, to hardcore fans, the best scifi ever... and to me and some, the best show ever. So, we don't like seeing that purposely disregarded and changed into something that bears no resemblance to Trek other than name.

It's more then just the bad writing, acting, or continuity issues... all of those things we've seen in other Trek movies and shows. The difference is that all those others, even Enterprise, still had a Trek feel to them despite those flaws. This movie doesn't, not beyond using the same names and making the ship look kind of like the Enterprise.

..The problem is Abrams. He is on record as saying...

..He is not a Star Trek fan.

..He knows next to nothing about the show, because he never really watched it.

..He is a Star Wars fan. And wanted to reboot Trek to make it more like Star Wars.

..He didn't make this movie for fans. Why? Because there are more non-fans then fans. Better in his mind to lose most of the current fans if you can make more new fans for the "new" Trek.

So they made this movie based on nothing but what action Abrams wanted to see. And they threw in a few 'in jokes' to try and appeal to some old fans. Just like the whole 'altered timeline' thing was an attempt to appease old fans. And it worked with a lot of people.

But in reality they have thrown out all things old Trek, except for names. None of the characters act remotely the same? That's ok new time line. The ships all look like retarded garbage? New time line. Canon and continuity issues in every single thing? NTL.

And then they tell us, to paraphrase "If you don't like it don't watch it."

I've been watching and loving Star Trek since I was four years old. Now this donkeys cousin comes along and says, "I hate Star Trek. I'm going to remake it so it is like Star Wars. I don't care if Trek fans like it. I don't care that I killed old Star Trek. I don't care that other then books and fan films there will never be real Trek again. I don't care that I have stolen, raped and murdered your favorite show. I don't care about you or your crummy show. If you don't like don't watch it. All I care about is how much money I make."

That is the reality. It like going to the funeral of your most beloved grandparent who you always loved and they always made your life a joy. But when you get there, all the other attendees are laughing, dancing on the coffin after dumping the coffin on the floor and defiling the corpse. And when you express rage they act like you are the one doing something wrong.
Last edited by eber3 on Sun May 24, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Ok everyone,

I have looked the other way letting you guys disscuss the movie.

But I have gotten several complaints about foul language on this and other posts. I have even had to add some censored words :x ( I should not have had to do this).

this site is for people of all ages.

from now on if you post and use foul language you will be banned from this site for 1 week and prevented to be part of any tournaments or downloading new mods. This also counts if word is censored. second offence ban will be permenant.

stop debating other peoples opinions they have there and you have yours.

If you want to debate this way, go find a blog somewhere.

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Sat May 23, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat Archive”