Anti-Ship defense?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Karstedt
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Anti-Ship defense?

Post by Karstedt »

So what exactly is Anti-Ship defense (listed on orbital batteries) and can I use that information to extrapolate useful information like how much damage a battery will do to a ship or how much damage has to be done to destroy the battery? If it's a useless number, is there information readily available that will tell me how much damage a battery deals and can take (other than a list of ships that can take one)?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

This topic remembers me that in shiplist there is an orboital batterie listed with values for weapons and min/max range. Does we know if the min/max range in shiplist for orbitals actually has any influence at all or is this an entry without any meaning?
life long and prosper
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

It's very unlikely, OB's were planned as some sort of space monster, but this feature was never finished.

But you can manipulate OB shiplist values and see what happens during assaults (not done yet).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Karstedt
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Karstedt »

What about the toughness of OB's? Do they take the same amount of damage to destroy as they deal or do they have a set threshold?
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Karstedt wrote:What about the toughness of OB's? Do they take the same amount of damage to destroy as they deal ...
It appears this may be true, from a few tests I ran earlier this year, but has never been tested fully (to my knowledge).
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

I'm wondering if the max range for torpedos in orbital battery entry has any meaning at all. Guess the programmers just take damage/weapon level into calculation and don't use the between round battles subroutines at all...
life long and prosper
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Cheers Nighthawk,

your smartness is always welcome :)

looking forward to further teamwork based on your findings, like phantom dil, emp-research & system attacks.

DOT wrote:I'm wondering if the max range for torpedos in orbital battery entry has any meaning at all. Guess the programmers just take damage/weapon level into calculation and don't use the between round battles subroutines at all...
I have to admit that I'm not able to follow you.

Since we know OB damage is determind by W-tech & edifice.bst, NOT by shiplist.sst (see link above).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Karstedt
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Karstedt »

Due to the text for OB's saying something to the effect of them being great at repelling raiders but not so good against warships due to their longer range, I'm guessing that originally, the OB's were meant to be used in the tactical combat where range would matter. I'm thinking that because there is no real interaction with the planetary assault though, that those numbers don't do anything. But if you set the range of the OB's to 1, you could attack a system with science vessels and see if it blows them up. That would test it for sure.
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

Hi Karstedt,

after reading your post, I asked myself, what will happen if OBs could be build like ships, as an extra defence. To be honest, I like the idea of battling an extra orbital anti ship defence system (eoasds)
Guess I will give it a try, even if that means, I guess I will use the outpost hob file for eoasds - can't do hob creating on my one.
Guess that will give game play a new taste. As long as they have a speed of 0, they could only protect the system where they were build. You get them to other solar systems, a transwarp transporter could be used... :D

Some ideas:
- Use the outpost hob files for eoasds and resize them to 5% or so, so they are very very small... That means the normal outpost has to use the starbase hob...
- Speed of zero so they can't travell through space on their own. And low range of course...
- High defence and low weapons -> Hard to hit, easy to destroy
- Create eoasds as new ship for any major race, maybe with 2 or 3 upgrades to keep the balance with increasing tech level.
- Either they get no weapons, but strong hull, so they work as swarms of ballistic missiles (ramming) or they get low dam weapons (hm, then maybe no upgrade? Even then they will be most effective against troop transporters). In either case they will be only effective through hugh numbers of eoasds...
- creating a eoasds transporter to get them moved through the own empire? Bah, that may result in heavy disbalancing, when they were used to conquer planets.
- or giving all other ships at least medium range and setting low range to zero? If that works, the eoasds were restricted to the area of the own imperium, were either a base or a shipyard is active. Than they could have a speed higher than zero, so they could travel between neighbor systems... hmm...

When I have tested this I will report... :-)
life long and prosper
Osk
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Osk »

combat speed and warp speed? I mean, with a speed of a minimum of impulse they can be arranged in a formation prior to battle and move to keep enemies in range and in the firing field, but it would take 200 years or more to reach a nearby planet system

Return to “General Chat Archive”