Not AS good as BOTF, but not bad either.

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Not AS good as BOTF, but not bad either.

Post by Deimos »

Has anyone here played Sins of a solar empire yet?

It's similiar in some ways to BOTF, but doesn't involve as much micromanagement as BOTF does

But the fleet battles are awesome!

(It's real time, as opposed to per turn)

Someone brought out a mod for it which replaces the standard ships with Star trek ones, which look great, heh.
chestermike
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Not AS good as BOTF, but not bad either.

Post by chestermike »

Deimos wrote:Has anyone here played Sins of a solar empire yet?

It's similiar in some ways to BOTF, but doesn't involve as much micromanagement as BOTF does

But the fleet battles are awesome!

(It's real time, as opposed to per turn)

Someone brought out a mod for it which replaces the standard ships with Star trek ones, which look great, heh.
Yeah I played Sins of a Solar Empire, found it very hard to get into to be honest. It looks a great game and I would be very interested in the star trek mod, just it needs you to have a day free to dedicate to a computer game to get into properly.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Yea it definatly takes some learning and the diplomacy section sucks

But they're improving it with official addons like Entrenchment etc
Which brings in starbases and other purdy items
I believe the next installment is dedicated to diplomatic options among other things.

Here's a youtube vid of the star trek mod - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57oN6EAnnqI
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

When I heard of this game and that a trek-mod for it exists, I run and bought it as sooon as I could find it in a shop.
It's different to BotF, and until now I could not adept to the game. It's realtime, but one can get used to this. Gameview's like you've taken seat in a space ship and look out to space. The grafic itself looks damned good, compared to BotF (but that's no surpise after all).
What I don't like is that the game normally takes place in one solar system. Okay, it's possible to choose more planets and evt. two or three solar systems, but I am used to have a whole galaxy on screen and make my micro managment in a screen like BotF or MoO. I miss that a lot.
The trek mode itself - I have taken a look but until now I haven't played long enough to tell something usefull about game play.
life long and prosper
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

There had been a thread on this game at one point, but it must have been on the previous boards last year before the crash.

I play several RTS games as well as BotF, and Sins of a Solar Empire is a nice in between game for me. It's not a frantic click-fest like some RTS's degenerate ino, but it still keeps the real time element, and has a fantastic, unique interface.

I do find the empire building aspect a little light, and the diplomacy practically non-existant, which is why I still keep coming back to BotF. But SoaSe is enjoyable in its own right, and I play several times a month.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
Osk
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Osk »

i like turn based. why? i can play it while chatting or doing other things
i like botf micromanagement. you think that is micromanagement? try the much older game ascendancy

as mentioned before by others, i like emire building, securing the base, building diplomacy with "minors", etc
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Osk wrote:...
try the much older game ascendancy
Ever play the old NES game Ghengis Khan? Talk about micro management!
Osk
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Osk »

eber3 wrote:
try the much older game ascendancy
Ever play the old NES game Ghengis Khan? Talk about micro management!
actually, yes, but more people would know this one :p
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

I've played the demo for Sins a few times. While it's not really my cup of tea -- it's too heavily emphasized towards combat, and too light on the diplomacy and empire-building aspects for my tastes -- it is a pretty cool space RTS title. It will never come close to replacing BOTF, but I do have to commend Ironclad on creating a fun space strategy game.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

i like turn based. why? i can play it while chatting or doing other things
i like botf micromanagement. you think that is micromanagement? try the much older game ascendancy
Exactly. It's sad how the whole industry just stampeded like a herd of cattle away from TBS to RTS. What on earth is wrong with turn-based games? I'm tempted to make my own turn-based space strategy game, to fill the void created by the mass exodus to RTS. Certainly would be nothing epic graphics-wise, but the point would be the gameplay. That or a master of orion 2 board game. 8)
Osk
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Osk »

sounds good, I'll play :) moo is nice too. I do agree a bit on the micro management, but otherwise... lets just say that with todays computer, the tactics, strategies and graphics of the battles would be so much better. for example, ship groups would be how they are in the main window and not grouped by type, allowing for more complicated strategies etc (9 command attack there, assited by 9 fast attack, the other 9 command attack there, insterad of 18 / 9 / select ship)
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

Lost Immortals!

try it

its good
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

jaruler wrote:Lost Immortals!

try it

its good

Eh. It's okay. The developers clearly had their hearts in the right place, but there are still numerous problems with the game.

Even with the macro-management tools available, I still find running a large empire to be quite tedious. Also, the AI (especially for the minor races) tends to be rather....weird -- it will make ridiculous demands and/or offer you absurd deals that you would never accept unless you'd deliberately thrown your sanity out the window, yet it will act totally submissively should you actually declare war. :?

Caveat: I've not played LE:I in quite some time now, and I know a number of fan-made patches have apparently fixed some of the issues the game has. So your experience(s) may indeed be superior to my own.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
alben_42
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Space Pirates!

Post by alben_42 »

Gotta love em.

How about an Orion Raiders random event. That would be really cool. Kind of like Barbarians in the Civilization series.
GulKelan
Ensign
Ensign

Sacrifice of Angels 2

Post by GulKelan »

servus

i just want to inform u that a star trek mod version is coming out for sins of a solar empire this weekend called sacrifice of angels 2.

here are 2 youtube vids: (both no sounds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZWI3U9 ... p%3A%2F%2F
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGG1ahHK ... p%3A%2F%2F

forum:
http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/358241/page/1

all u need is sins of a solar empire and the addon entrenchment (10€) + patches

but watch out the new one will be the E version not the C version. the E version includes fighter style movement for nearly all ships and many more.

i wish u all much fun with it greets GulKelan

Return to “General Chat Archive”