Foundry build freeze

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Midersaw
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Foundry build freeze

Post by Midersaw » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi,

Has this ever happened to anybody? When upgrading my foundries, the game stops counting down the turns at a certain point. For example, it will say 8 turns remaining, but no matter how many turns I play through it will continue to say 8 turns remaining. I've tried deleting the build and starting over, but it freezes at the same place, 8 turns remaining. I've tried buying the build, but then it restarts at the beginning, 26 turns remaining. This happens with any race I play, and only seems to happen on especially large systems, like maybe 400+ population.

I have joker's patch and the hades patches installed.

Any advice?

Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Mildersaw

This is a standard bug with the game. If you have a large number of foundries to upgrade to a high tech level, BOTF can't do it for some reason. Perhaps it anticipates or only accepts a maximum industry output value.

What you can do is scrap a few of your foundries, maybe 5 - 10 would do it and then attempt the upgrade.

If it doesn't work you'll have to scrap more. If it does work and your at highest upgrade level, you can start building more of the upgraded foundries. There still seems to be a limit to maximum output that you can get, so even if you build a stack of them and allocate population to them, you will only get to a certain output level.

Hope this helps and maybe someone has done some work to solve this, so hopefully they'll post.

Regards

Pigman

stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:06 pm

It's the building upgrade bug, and yes, a few of the mods have corrected this problem.

I know Vanilla 1.0.3 has corrected this, as this mod is Vanilla with fixes for the old bugs.

Balance of Power has this fixed, UDM III as far as I'm aware, and i know All the Ages has it fixed too ;)

Basically if you're upgrading in vanilla and it costs more than 65,000 to do so you're going to run into this problem.

If you're unsure how much an upgrade will cost, click to buy it and it'll tell you how much. (you can cancel afterwards)

All you need to do is scrap enough buildings to bring the cost down to below this and you'll be fine.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder

ketteringdave
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by ketteringdave » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:06 pm

The cost is also listed as "industry build cost" or something similar when you hover over the upgrade in the build list.

The cutoff is 2^16 = 65536.

Midersaw
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Midersaw » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:14 am

Pigman wrote: What you can do is scrap a few of your foundries, maybe 5 - 10 would do it and then attempt the upgrade.
This worked, thank you.

I really don't know anything about mods. I just started playing again after many years, so I guess it's vanilla with those patches, not sure which version. I've never played a multiplayer game or a mod game, but I've been poking around these forums and have reading about the tournaments and mods you guys run and it all sounds like a lot of fun. I guess I'm pretty much like a Pakled trader when it comes to that stuff, "Make us go." Besides, from what I've been reading you guys sound like pros when it comes to multiplayer and I think I'd get tromped in no time.

Return to “General Chat Archive”