the Borg's latest assimilation

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

KrazeeXXL wrote:So Flocke, now you see what alcohol can cause. Any questions?!
I'm not sure, are we about becoming an alcoholic clan or a detox clan or a drunken, alohol-forbidden, alcohol addicted clan in love-hate with our energy source or what? :lol:

I just ask so I know if I need to obtain some new beer or if I should advise the drones to immediately consume, äh.. destroy all remaining reserves. ;)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

destroy the remaining beer ressources? dude you're killing me!!!
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

what? you dislike english? It's not really a language. It's kinda like the linguistic equivalnet of the Borg collective.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Believe it or not, years ago I was really good in english but then came the time I don't used it anymore and now it's kinda hard to get into it again.

It was meant as a dependence to other forums where I had some encounters with germans who bemoaned the english writing and talking anywhere and anytime in a funny modality.

So, no, in the contrary, I don't dislike it. Even if it's killing me from time to time. :lol:

This only implies that I have to get better again ;)

btw

I second your quote:
marhawkman wrote:It's not really a language. It's kinda like the linguistic equivalnet of the Borg collective.
funny, concise and correct :)
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Hehe... It's really fun tracing the roots of English words. :) There are a few that, like bahn, have no clear origin, but some.... Some are fascinating. for example: Banshee can be traced back to the Irish ben síde (“‘woman of the fairy mound’â€
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

[quote="marhawkman"]Another good one is chocolate which(via spanish) comes from the Aztec word chicolÄ
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

The design and evolution of words is indeed very interesting. I dunno how's it in the english language but in german we have the 'problem' - or better the inevitable advancement called "angliciziation". (many thx inter allia to the advertisment industry)

Every year there is also a list of words published by some institute. These words are called "the dying words". Words that no one uses anymore because they don't fit in the 21st century anymore (or whatever).

Some studies about this interesting topic made it colorful and clear for me.

I even found some words on the lists - I use - and which are threatened and it was a little bit scary. Before, I didn't even noticed that words can or even will die and extinct forever.

Maybe in the english language this 'problem' isn't that big as the language itself is imo a little bit "general". Not that precise and incisive compared to the german. It is maybe the biggest advantage of this language that helps it to survive almost everywhere. But on the other side it is used by almost everyone and perhaps it will be changed in a wide bigger range someone can imagine.

So it is up to us to use threatened words so they can survive. Or to create some new ones. I prefer both options. Everything is part of the big river of change. Words and languages are an important part of it which represent ourselves, our way of life and much more you can't even imagine.

Some things will allways be forgotten and/or hidden but carried by words through the time. That's the way it is.

So, choose and use your words carefully and wise then at least some part of you will survive ;)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

talk binary! 101010101010100001111111110111101100101001001010100110001010010101111110001010111111111110101010100100001010 :lol:
ok, sry for the spam, I just think language should be evolved by the people. It's just an instrument to communicate and I always hate it when people forbid me to say something cause it's denglish or some kind of other mix!
I think language is overrated, although, of course it's an important part of culture. But it's not us to keep the culture, the culture should come with us and adapt to us, not the other way around.
Loosing words doesn't seem to be a problem to me, some might even have a comeback sometime. ;)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

that's why I called it a 'problem' because I questioned that it really is one...

reading between the lines is another fact - possible through words and sentences ^^ In the post above I tried to put across how I felt as I first heard of the dying words. And i tried to put it into a bigger context that said that words aren't unimportant. Even if we use them all the time. They are more than anyone can imagine.

All the simple things will prevail in the future. I dunno if I would count "denglish" to them. Perhaps yes or maybe just some shreds. I guess there are some studies about it. Would be interesting to know more about this topic.

btw how is the reading between the lines in the hex stuff going on? :lol:
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Hehe... I use a variety of relatively arachaic words myself.

Return to “General Chat Archive”