BOTF patches information

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

BOTF patches information

Post by thunderchero »

hi everyone,

Here is a list of patches for birth of the federation and what works and what conflicts if any.

Botf-102-W2K-XP-9x-English-German.exe by joker

Found HERE

This patch update to 1.0.2 for engilsh and german and also fixes opening video and multi player problem.

this is the best patch and has had the least problem for vanilla update to 1.0.2 and seems to work on all operating systems

no other patch is needed to play vanilla game.

Most mods will need this patch before any mod can be installed.

Hades 1.1 and hades 2.2

Found HERE

this is original Hades 3D patch 1.1 and work well to lower tactial combat crashes but some crashes will still happen.

notes;

all gif files must be 256x256 or lower vanilla files are in patch.

if any new ships are added when using hades the gifs must be converted to 256x256 or you will get error.

this uses DIRECTX instead of SOFTWARE in 3D settings of stbof.ini

These files are from Falcon 4.0 (by Microprose) It used basicly the same type of 3D engine as BOTF and was adapted for use for BOTF

some video cards might need updated driver or incompatable with hades if so most of the time setting in the ini file can be changed back to SOFTWARE and still get some of the benifits of hades.

also some graphics effects will be lost due to smaller textures.

H3D2.2.exe by thunderchero

Hades 3d 2.2 does the same as above but uses a latest patch files by Microprose for Falcon 4.0 that uses 3DFX instead of SOFTWARE.

some video cards might need updated driver or incompatable with hades if so most of the time setting in the ini file can be changed back to SOFTWARE and still get some of the benifits of hades.

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
toroca
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toroca »

Good idea. :)

I would suggest using bbcode to bold the various patch titles so they stand out more.

Also, it should probably be noted that the 1.1 Hades patch has some install issues on some systems, like mine. It will not update files properly on all systems.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

Surely the aim of this site is to provide the best resources for the botf community.

So why not remove those which are proven to not work to a new section. This could then be for those patches which are unstable, and previous mod version like UM1 / 2 and UDM 1 / 2.

this way, newbies will get the newest files, but those who are modding will be able to get all versions.

After I first found this site long ago, the first patch I downloaded did not work, so I closed it and went back to my search engine. It was only when I searched for "New 3d ships" and came across DCER's UM which linked back to here.

If you want more members it needs to be newbie "proof"

Sorry if this seems like a rant, just my first experiance of the site.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
BioHaZZarD99
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: BOTF patches information

Post by BioHaZZarD99 »

thunderchero wrote:I hope this is just a start of a long list, so post what has worked for you, and they will be added to the list.
Only patches I usually run are, in this order: Joker's XP 1.0.2, Hades 3D 1.1, and tactical combat fix. That has worked for me so far, although I recently installed the UDM III beta, so I'm now working off of Hades 3D 2.0..

sean_west wrote:Surely the aim of this site is to provide the best resources for the botf community.

So why not remove those which are proven to not work to a new section. This could then be for those patches which are unstable, and previous mod version like UM1 / 2 and UDM 1 / 2.

I have to agree with Sean here. Make three sections: 'Lastest Mods & Patches', 'Old Mods', and 'Old & Official Patches' or something along those lines. That would help the 'noobs' find their way around the downloads section.

[off topic] Is the downloads section still 'Members Only'? I know it used to be before the db failure, but I don't remember if I was able to get into it or not before I re-joined.[/off topic]

OT EDIT: just used IE Tab to check, downloads is 'restricted' (members only) so nvm about that... but possibly making the latest patches un-restricted might help us a bit, although it wouldn't require new guys to register with us just to get to the downloads (I'm sure there are a few who have done that already)... just a thought
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

that is why this list is being made so the members here can tell us what patches have worked for them. and then weed out the ones that don't work.

thunderchero
El_lobo
Ensign
Ensign

Vista

Post by El_lobo »

On a nostalgic note I searched through my copies of old games to find BOTF and now I have installed it on my laptop which has a Windows Vista operating system.
It seem like the combat mode crashes come much more frequent than on the stationary computer I used last time I played the game.

I have installed the 1.02 patch. I am a little bit in doubt about the two other patches mentioned, do the need some special type of grafic card w. a special type of driver to work or?
El_lobo
Ensign
Ensign

H3D2.2. on Vista

Post by El_lobo »

I have now tried H3D2.2. I still get crashes in combat mode. And the economy view seems to be on the map no matter what I do. So each system is showing what it is producing at all time and traderoutes are shown at all time to.
ketteringdave
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: H3D2.2. on Vista

Post by ketteringdave »

El_lobo wrote:I have now tried H3D2.2. I still get crashes in combat mode. And the economy view seems to be on the map no matter what I do. So each system is showing what it is producing at all time and traderoutes are shown at all time to.
Use the "Overlay" menu to turn off any information you don't want to see.
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Re: Vista

Post by trevtones »

El_lobo wrote:On a nostalgic note I searched through my copies of old games to find BOTF and now I have installed it on my laptop which has a Windows Vista operating system.
It seem like the combat mode crashes come much more frequent than on the stationary computer I used last time I played the game.

I have installed the 1.02 patch. I am a little bit in doubt about the two other patches mentioned, do the need some special type of grafic card w. a special type of driver to work or?
Botf crashes alot more frequently on Vista than it did on XP. You could try compatibility mode although it never helped me.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
El_lobo
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Vista

Post by El_lobo »

trevtones wrote:
El_lobo wrote:On a nostalgic note I searched through my copies of old games to find BOTF and now I have installed it on my laptop which has a Windows Vista operating system.

Botf crashes alot more frequently on Vista than it did on XP. You could try compatibility mode although it never helped me.
How do you set that?
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Right click the trek.exe shortcut, go to properties and there should be a compatibility tab.

But with this game sometimes you just have to live with the crashes. At least when you crash out in Vista you wont have to reboot your system, this happens in XP alot for me.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
El_lobo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by El_lobo »

viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

I downloaded the file Update Tactical Combat and it has worked so far I have got to blow up some ships and outposts testing it.

It is nice to have the space combat feature of the game back.

Note:Compatability mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
Operating system: Windows Vista
Ryker
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Ryker »

I know this is quite a common bug... but does anyone know how to fix or get around the problem of trying to make any treaty with a minor race you only have first found due to a treaty with a major race? I.E. a subjugated race ignores you even if you liberate them! I NEVER accept a treaty from a major race until I have found all the races they have in their empire. Extreme and limiting but it does get around this bug.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

where is hades 1.1 gone?
Just wanted to try the old version cause hades 2.2 doesn't seem to work with my laptop nvidia GeForce 8400M GS :(

EDIT: Strange, now after reinstalling, Hades 2.2 is working...
May have been due to same reason as with my warzone launch problem.
I had a space character in filepath "Program Files" ;)

But you should change the warning msg on installing HD3D cause it tells some crazy stuff like only being able to play tech1 and without of random events...
got a little confused then hit ok :lol:

EDIT 2: Although HD3D 2.2 is working, it seems to be quite unstable or at least not more stable than without of - had two crashes in 3 or 4 fights. So I've switched back to software mode, already had a couple fights without of a single crash (with increasing ship count due to later turns in mp game) :roll:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke,

link for old hades version has been fixed.

I am afraid to say I have not updated list but all nvidia GeForce 8000 series video card should be run in software. But you still get most of the benfits of hades. I have only noticed a slightly clearer images when using 3DFX mode. but still fewer crashes with other cards. I just got a new laptop and have to check what card it has, but it will not run in 3DFX mode so I run it in SOFTWARE mode. Other possible cause to problem I have, is I am running in wide screen and game is stretched out to full screen, But still looks good.

thunderchero

Return to “General Chat Archive”