Is it possible to increase Resolution?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

trekker-
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Is it possible to increase Resolution?

Post by trekker- »

I'm wondering if there is a way to increase the resolution for the original BOTF. I'm using BOTF 1.0.3 while I wait for BOTF2 to be complete. There is a MPR tool that allows you to run screen tests at higher res. (pictured below.) Is it possible to force the game into a higher res some way? (Adding the tags to the exe path does not work!)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Is it possible to increase Resolution?

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

trekker- wrote:I'm wondering if there is a way to increase the resolution for the original BOTF.
I'm not quite an expert on the subject, but somehow I doubt it, since pixelsize seems to be handled directly in trek.exe & stbof.res (at least for the map display & main GUI).

But you might find this post useful.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

AFAIK was the mprtest utility used to test which resolutions were possible to be displayed on your system in the old times of win95. 800x600 was high-res in this cool era :) (and Win98 was as useless as Vista for me ;) )

Today you right click the desktop, properties, settings and can test your resolution and refresh rate/colors there. This quick standard function without necessary parameter settings replaced programs like mprtest

I dunno where it stands for. perhaps 'microprose resolution test' or something like that. Seems to be the only logical conclusion for me.

But I'm sure that you cannot change resolution of games with this tool. If, then they had named it mprset ;) (and at least you would be able to choose an executable file to run with this tool...)
trekker-
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by trekker- »

that's a real shame. i did not think the tool could change the res, but that the tool had information that could be used to determine... anyway...

i still can't believe botf or any mods for it do not/can not increase the resolution.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

but I dunno where to start with this way tbh. Ingame changes seem to be too hard. And I know that mprtest just gives you some more and/or less useful information and that's all about it.

But, what about the windowed mode? It seems that these programs like DxWnd can force BotF to fit in another form. Perhaps you can run a fullscreen window of BotF with a fixed resolution?

If you have some time you could try this out. The thread about the windowed mode programs is to find >here<

Return to “Modding Information Archive”