Extending Task Force capacity

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Extending Task Force capacity

Post by Tethys »

My apologies if this has already been posted, but I did several searches of various configuration with no result (of topic)

So my question is, might there be work to find a way to extend the Task Force capacity to something other than 9? I understand that this would either call for 1 of 2 things:

1. Smaller ship icons, which might or might not work, due to also needing to hex edit the icons smaller (same as energy screen problem, which i believe has been discontinued)

or

2. Add a little scrolly bar thingy to the right side or bottom of the task force window, which would most likely involve the above hex edit as well (actually it will)

There is also a chance that the number '9' seems to be the highest number in alot of things, so this might just be another one of those things (F.E. the colony ship production values wont exceed '9' in hex, otherwise crash)

So, if you happen to come across an extension to the Task Force, dont be shy to post it! :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

same reason why the tech goes t1-9 for main 5 building sets?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

no, not same reason, that would be absurd :lol:
(you can research further than t9 btw, there are just no buildings with such high tech requirements and above tech 10 there are no textual descriptions)

However, it's nothing to expected to get fixed. Those nine ship slots per task force are even hardcoded in the save games. They are even nine if you don't have ships assigned, they are just empty.
I doubt Peter will come up with a workaround for this one. :lol:
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

well, the rp required per tech level in the 6 areas can be changed, upto t10. So how does it work out the details for T11 onwards?
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I doubt Peter will come up with a workaround for this one.
thanks for the vote of confidence flock :)

with out being a codemaster myself with knowledge of the disasembled code for trek.exe it seems to me that the routiens used to save a game would have to be found understood and analised followed by analysis of how trek.exe retrieves that infomation and handels the taskforces in game.

I don't think without source code we are anywhere near this kind of moddification but I would love to have taskforces of 99 say ;D
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Peter1981 wrote:I don't think without source code we are anywhere near this kind of moddification but I would love to have taskforces of 99 say ;D
Thats what they said about making the map bigger.

Thats what they said about increasing the star frequency.

Thats that they said about extending the shiplist.

Thats what they said about extra starting systems.

:P

Thats what they said about alot of things... as you see, it might be something simple (so to speak i guess :P) after all... its probably right under our noses and we have no idea ;)

It could be something as simple as hexing 4 bytes in trek.exe, but finding it would be the real challenge... and who knows, things that are also hard coded in the saves could just be whatever trek.exe tells the saves to hard code... :o
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

If taskforces were increased, I'd have something like in armada 2... (which uses 16.armada 1 has 8, but game out after botf :P )

1x Galaxy Class
2x Nebula Class
4x Akira Class
8x Defiant Class
1x Venture, or Nova Class

Thats for:
TF Commander
Strike Ships
Wing Commander
Wing 'fighters' :P

using a TF of 3 ships to a wing, 5 wings to a task force (4 attack, 1 strike)

I'd love 'sub-grouping' too if a BOTF2 project can add that. You know, You can have an entire Fleet as one icon to a sector, but then, you want to move a wing out for 'repairs'... so like the +/- checkbox next to a folder list in windows' explorer...

Code: Select all

- Starfleet Vessels
| - Ninth Fleet
| | - Task Force 901
| | | + Strike Wing
| | | + Offensive Wing Alpha
| | | + Offensive Wing Beta
| | | + Defensive Wing Alpha
| | | + Defensive Wing Beta
| | + Task Force 902
| + Twelfth Fleet
| + Unassigned Task Forces
| + Unassigned Wings
| + Unassigned Vessels
+ Klingon Defence Force Vessels
For one, this could make scrolling in the task force part of the interface easier, as you can peruse other vessels if you want to, but a tooltip on hover will be fine.

and it defaults to the smallest tree when possible. i.e. the race-level selection disappears when only those races there...

or if just 1 task force...

Code: Select all

- Task Force 03
. + Defensive Wing
. + Civilian Vessels
This would in a way, make ship caps not that necessary, as you just assign a ship into an open wing or new wing, and there be no actual cap on how many wings to a task force or TF's to a fleet.

And in a turn-based game, this level of micro-managing fleets is helpful (only unwieldy for the first or second time)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

i need a cuddly tribble :)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

this has been looked into,

it has same basic problem as energy screen no room to add extra icons for more ships. and the coding has not been found for this either.

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Yeah i figured it would be TC, just a matter of time before we have a source code decrypted by the codemasters, unless Atari *smack* sorry...
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

lol @
unless Atari *smack* sorry...
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

What if one of us wins the lottery, and we tell 'em we'll pay them for the sourcecode?

*wafts smoke away* sorry what did I just say? *sucks on suspicious cigarette*
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

win the lottery and buy atari from alan sugar now that sound like a plan :)

Return to “Modding Information Archive”