HELP! -- anyone know how planets are selected at start up???

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

HELP! -- anyone know how planets are selected at start up???

Post by Peter1981 »

hopefully the title says it all

I need/what to understand how the program chooses volcanic, baren, terran,... etc when making a star system

then,

I want to allow it to choose asteroid belt &/ asteroid belt dillithium :)

I know how to add planets in planet.pst guessing that UE doesn't offer this feature yet either to add or select asteriod belt

as always any help appriciated :)

EDIT:

in planet.pst the one of the bytes sets the planet type for each planet ie.
0 arctic
1 barren
2 desert
3 gas giant
4 jungle
5 oceanic
6 terran
7 oceanic
this list starts the same as the one for build requirment in UE's buiding stats
by extention can one add 08 nothing 09 asteroid 10 asteroid dilithium?
EDIT2:
adding 9 in the planet.pst casues UE not to save but the file can be added manully :) but no asteroids are generated this has to do with the environmental options as there is no probabillity for asteroids the game won't add then :(
EDIT3:
changed qo'nos 4 to asteroid 09 result CTD no crash log :( bugger
EDIT 4 I assume I need to add to habit.bin as wel?
EDIT5 08? Volcanic????!! missed this one
Last edited by Peter1981 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by eprahsnada »

On either stbof.res or the .exe file there is the option to change the probability of finding each type of planet. If you change the values about to say make Terran planets more likely than volcanic then you will find terran systems more. As long as the overall probability number is 1 it doesnt matter.

Thats what I do and then make terran planets hold more population so I get systems of like 500-900 million capacity.
Do you think starships have industrial window wipers? I mean, a space-bug hitting the viewscreen at warp 5 will make one HELL of a mess!
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Peter im thinking maybe 10 would be too high or would cause a problem, perhaps 08 is for asteroid and 09 is for asteroid dilithium

not to mention you would need to add 2 animations for asteroid and 1 also with dilithium; u would have to find where to tell botf that this is a dilithium system (this might be difficult part); adding to habit.bin as you said; correctly setting their frequencies, populations, atmospheres, planet pop bonuses; and additional entries in lexicon.dic and trek.exe (trek.exe i am assuming, but lexicon for sure)

I would help you but i am rather pressed for time atm, will let you know when i am readily available.

other thoughts: how did i miss this thread? lol, i would love to have extra planet types in BotF, like Gaia and stuff like that :P

EDIT: Ah one thing i forgot to mention is that the class designation (M, J, P, etc) just below the animation is coded in trek.exe somewhere (i am assuming), Ive not been able to find them since ive wanted to change them a while back to reflect asteroid belts and planet class fixes (B class gas giants should be I, J, S, or T class depending on size, and J class Jungle should be L class Marginal (Lush) planets)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

@eprahsnada This tread is about adding different type of star system artifacts. I am aware that i will have to modify the probabilities so new artifacts will be generated in star systems at galaxy creation, thanks for the thoughts.

@tethys
im thinking maybe 10 would be too high or would cause a problem
i don't think (I havn't tested yet) 10 would be too much as even if it is only one byte #F (i.e. 16) would be maximum.
need to add 2 animations for asteroid and 1 also with dilithium
I'm not worried about the animatrions yet as this is GUI and I can just use any old .ani but eventually some new .ani's would be required ;p
u would have to find where to tell botf that this is a dilithium system (this might be difficult part); adding to habit.bin as you said; correctly setting their frequencies, populations, atmospheres, planet pop bonuses; and additional entries in lexicon.dic and trek.exe (trek.exe i am assuming, but lexicon for sure)
Yes this'll require a re-write of the dilithium flagging routine... but i've seen this routine modified (by either Gowron/SCT???) somewhere on the forum...

---

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts since it had been over 10weeks since i'd posted this with no responces I'd put this to wait in the list of thing to improve on BotF but I'll try and get back to it :)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

FYI asm_582730 is the start of the planet lables ie P, J, G, L, O, M, Y, E, B, U.

each four bytes ;)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

My god peter this is awesome.. now i can change the B class gas giant? to J and J class Jungle to L class marginal! :D

This is great thanks so much for this :mrgreen:

Another thought: is there any room to ADD new planet designation? This way we could split up the existing planets of the same type with different labels?

EDIT: Well this is rather interesting, it seems there is 2 unused planet types, E and U, and SEVERAL extra slots for planet types :twisted: - I wonder what these E and U class were for? Perhaps asteroid belt and belt dilithium? BTW, why is Oceanic listed twice? 8O
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Planet Clasifications

Post by redhat1968 »

If I am correct, besides the Gas Giants, the other changes necessary are:

According to Star Trek Memory Alpha
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Planetary_classification

Class J Barren to Class D, "a small, rock-based body, such as an asteroid, moon or other barren, cratered planetoid with little or no atmosphere"

Class G Desert to Class K, "adaptable with pressure domes"

Class Y Volcanic could Class N, "a high surface temperature due to greenhouse effect (which causes all water on the planet to exist only as vapor) and an extremely dense atmosphere, comprised of carbon dioxide and sulfides", but could also be Class Y, "a toxic atmosphere, surface temperatures exceeding five hundred Kelvin and thermionic radiation discharges"

Class P Arctic and Class M Terran are accurate

Class O does not exist in Memory Alpha, but its designation seems plausible

Class L animations might need to be looked at to make them appear less habitable the Jungle animations presently. A desert animation might be more appropriate
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Due to limitations, I am forced to use K class for Desert planet and - as Asteroids
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

the following code replaces

P J G L O M Y E B U with
P D K L O M N E J U

replaced 40 bytes at 0x180530

Code: Select all

50 00 00 00  4A 00 00 00  47 00 00 00  4C 00 00 00
4F 00 00 00  4D 00 00 00  59 00 00 00  45 00 00 00
42 00 00 00  55 00 00 00
with:

Code: Select all

50 00 00 00  44 00 00 00  4B 00 00 00  4C 00 00 00
4F 00 00 00  4D 00 00 00  4E 00 00 00  45 00 00 00
4A 00 00 00  55 00 00 00
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Thanks Peter and Tethys

Post by redhat1968 »

I appreciate your help!
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Planet Names

Post by redhat1968 »

I Found the Planetary Classification descriptions at the following locations:
x17d790
x17dac8
The code contains descriptions in the following order:
Arctic, Barren, Desert, Gas Giant, Jungle, Oceanic, Terran, Volcanic

I also found code without capitals at these other locations:
x17dbd8
x17dcac
It does not include Gas Giants and the first letter of each type of planet is not capitalized.

I tried changing the descriptions to the following:
Arctic, Barren, Martian, Gas Giant, Marginal, Oceanic, Minshara, Sulfuric

However, the descriptions while the game was running still used the default descriptions above the planets. Are these stored anywhere else?

I have struggled with a proper description for Class K. The best would be "Adaptable" but that requires nine bytes and it appears we only have room for eight. I settled on "Martian" for now. If anybody else has a better idea, feel free to add suggestions.

Edit: Without the space constraints, I was able to use "Adaptable" for Class K planets (old Class G). Peter, Tethys, and DCER, thanks for your help.
Last edited by redhat1968 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

try lexicon as well
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Planet type display names etc are found in lexicon.dic, it can be edited under Text->Lexicon

All valid environments (planet types and atmospheres) are stored in environ.est file, asteroids and such are missing there.
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Mercury

Post by redhat1968 »

I would like change Mercury to a Class D Barren (Old Class J) because it definitely fits the description of a Class D planet in Memory Alpha. But when I do this in UE under >Galaxy>Planets, it moves Mercury to the second planet after Venus following a restart of the game. Is there anyway to override this?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

No, sorry. The entries in planet.pst need to be sorted by type and size - similar to edifice.bst.

Editing planet.pst shouldn't have an effect on saved games as the planets from it are read only on galaxy generation (afaik).

You can edit your saved game separately and turn mercury to a barren planet there.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”