Adding Ship Types / Ship Functions Discussion

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Adding Ship Types / Ship Functions Discussion

Post by Tethys »

I assume this has been tried already, just wondering if there was a positive/negative outcome?

This is in relation to adding new ship types such as Cruiser, Command Ship, Transport, etc... I also assume that there is a file in stbof.res (im hoping) which handles the ship functions, and I know this would involve a new entry in Lexicon as well as some hex editing of the EXE to the specific offset pointer to the file in stbof.res... at least thats what Im hoping...

Has anyone tried to add new ship types/functions to the game with any success? The main reason I ask is since AI does not build every ship on its ship list due to multiple ships using the same ship types/functions, so adding new types/functions to the game should alleviate this issue, as long as everthing is placed correctly (and can be issued the orders in the AI Ship Building sets in UE)

Some thoughts on possible Ship Type candidates:

Frigate
Defense Platform (for Turrets and Mines should the game call for it)
Explorer (would compliment Command Cruiser function)
Shuttlecraft (should the game call for it)
Heavy Cruiser
Light Cruiser
Enhanced Cruiser
Advanced Cruiser (you get the point lol)
Dreadnought (would also compliment Command Cruiser function)
Attack Cruiser
Fighter (should the game call for it)
Fast Cruiser
...and so on as your heart desires...
Last edited by Tethys on Sun May 30, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not for the weak of heart...
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod
Borg
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Borg »

Am hope I am wrong but I dont think you can, in other mod that I have played some have changed the one are on the game all ready.
I am all so in the same boat becouse in my mod I want a option for a base station not just outposts or star bases.
Am still leaning how to mod I dont even know how to do the hax suff or how to get in it.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I see that in GM0.1.2 you have replaced Strike Cruiser with Defence Platform i assume this is a cosmetic alteration?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

well after digging through the .res file I couldnt find (anything obvious) a file that handles the ship functions, so we might be lucky if it is only handled by the .exe itself, which a rewrite of code and pointer to new lexicon texts should do the trick, assuming that there is enough space.

Things that need to be found = Ship Functions location and Lexicon pointer

Things that need to be done = Analyze the space to see if a code rewrite could add more Functions to trek.exe

Just a suggestion for you code masters if you want to take a crack at it <3 :P
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Peter1981 wrote:I see that in GM0.1.2 you have replaced Strike Cruiser with Defence Platform i assume this is a cosmetic alteration?
Correct, however since we all know Strike Cruisers have no *real* function in Botf, i just dedicated that Function to the new Turrets system, so that the AI will build them :P

All strike cruisers are now labeled Cruisers, with respect to torpedoes ;)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Ive been looking around and found that tfdesign.tfd uses 8 entries for ships ?functions?

Looking at trek.exe @ 174EFC - 174F2A it has an error to TFDTYPES.H under that says something about tfDesign, so I decided to check it out:

tfdesign.tfd: opening the file and setting to 22 bytes per row = 8 entries

I assume these could be one of the following setups (not in particular order):

1) Scout, Destroyer, Cruiser, Strike Cruiser, Command Ship, Support Ships (CS/TT), Bases (OP/SB), Aliens - (realizing that Aliens & Bases cannot be included in Taskforce, this would be eliminated, however Botf does funny things sometimes... and it might also be for Tactical Combat, not just redeployment)

2) Scout, Destroyer, Cruiser, Strike Cruiser, Command Ship, Troop Transport, Colony Ship, Bases (OP/SB) - (same as above)

3) Scout, Destroyer, Cruiser, Strike Cruiser, Command Ship, Troop Transport, Colony Ship, Aliens - (same as above)

4) Scout, Destroyer, Cruiser, Strike Cruiser, Command Ship, Troop Transport, Colony Ship, ??? - (7 functions and a blank? most plausible explanation?)

Peter, your assistance please.. or anyone who has any thoughts ;)

EDIT: Also in trek.exe these seem to be named (in this order) starting @ 174FEC:

Scout, Raider, War, Artillery, Command, Colony, Transport, Invalid
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

well after 'emptying' tfdesign.tfd (deleting all content adding back with UE), it made no difference regarding ship classes, they are probably stored in trek.exe

I will look for them today

EDIT: it looks like the table in trek.exe from 195c16 - 19dc0f is where the lexicon is read, but i am not 100% sure. ive found several values used as offsets in this table pointing to lexicon.dic entries that are found NOWHERE else in the exe, but then ive also not found others here... so it could only read select entries, or might not be the lexicon reader at all... i would need someone with asm knowledge to take a look at it.
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Tethys wrote:
Peter1981 wrote:I see that in GM0.1.2 you have replaced Strike Cruiser with Defence Platform i assume this is a cosmetic alteration?
Correct, however since we all know Strike Cruisers have no *real* function in Botf, i just dedicated that Function to the new Turrets system, so that the AI will build them :P

All strike cruisers are now labeled Cruisers, with respect to torpedoes ;)
What could be good is if a way could be found to add the starbase group to the AI build queue, then you could set up your turrets to use that group and use the Outpost group for real outposts/starbases (seeing as the AI never actually builds starbases)... would love to be able to have systems build fighters ... that dont go anywhere but just sit over a system and aways fight to the death (as they cant retreat) ... hmm ... :)

Did you ever manage to get your turrets to stay still?

Would be nice if new groups could be added but I have a feeling it would take a large re-write of the code to do...

Regards,

C.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Have not got the turrets to stay still sadly, i am wondering if there is a way to 'kill' the retreat command or replace it with a second evade command to force the AI to evade instead of retreat... im sure it could be possible to use a duplicate code for evade or assault
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

somebody already made it to add the cloak command somehow in some kind of mod, so replacing commands should be possible.

did you try to use ue in order to set the agility value in the ship stats to 0? i noticed they're set to 0 at starbases and outposts as well
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Dr_Breen wrote:somebody already made it to add the cloak command somehow in some kind of mod, so replacing commands should be possible.

did you try to use ue in order to set the agility value in the ship stats to 0? i noticed they're set to 0 at starbases and outposts as well
The Agility value doesnt seem to do too much tbh, as when doing my mod I had cruisers using the vanilla 'scout' type and I wanted them to be slower than the 'detroyer' type that shares the same fast attack group in tactical combat.

Even setting the cruisers agility to 0, they still moved and manouvered just as fast as the destroyers, so it seems that the tactical battle group determines how ships move and manouver in tactical combat, and not the agility value ... annoying.

Hence why it would be good if the 'starbase' type could be built from a system and not via a transport, as that group naturaly does not move in combat, or retreat ... would be very handy for Tethys turrets idea.

Which mod had the cloak command in it? would be interested to see how that works :)

Regards,

C.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

perhaps somebody remembers (thunder?) it was quite long ago, and it was bugyy so it never became popular
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Alton
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Alton »

i guess it was the doomsday mod
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I think it was TrekReal RC2 patch5

I have the "combat menu" here

http://www.4shared.com/file/h7pjxVU1/combat.html

thunderchero

Return to “Modding Information Archive”