Palette problem using UE

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Hi,

A strange issue seems to have crept into my mod regarding the number of palettes ...

At the start I used TC's files to lower the count (got to around 80 I think) and all was fine, added lots of new models etc and it ended up at 125.

After doing some play testing I thought that some of the Romulan ships I currently had were not that good and so went on a search for some potentialy better ones, which I found in one of the ship packs.

I have added some of them in and UE gave me a warning that I was going over 127 palletes. So I tried to reduce the number by removing some of the unused models ... no change (stuck at 128 palettes). So I removed the ones I had just added ... still no change.

I'm probaly doing something wrong but it seems as though the palettes are added when a new model is added but are not removed when the model is removed.

Is there any way to fix this?

Regards,

C.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi Chernabog,

have you tried using the "Trim palette" button under Graphics->Textures ?
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Hi DCER,

Yep, tried that, no joy :(

What I did find though was various textures that appear not to exist ...

I removed them, saved and tried to trim again, but its still stuck at 128 :x

Regards,

C.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

The "x" shouldn't be showing. What version of UE is this?

UE inserts "x" in place of removed textures - this way hob files do not need to be edited as all the other textures still have their original indexes. When adding new textures they get placed into any such free spot and added to the end of the list only if no such spots exist. The "x"-es should have been ignored by UE in this screen.
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

I'm using the stable 0.7.0c although I do have the latest dev version so I will fire that up now and try the same...

C.

Update ... using 0.7.1dev4 I have the same results ... interstingly the x textures (that I thought had been deleted) are still there ...

Regards,

C.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

I'll see if I can fix it ...

EDIT: ok, it should be fixed now, try 0.7.0d or 0.7.1dev4a. The trim palette list button should remove more palettes now and the "x"-es shouldn't be showing.
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

DCER wrote:I'll see if I can fix it ...

EDIT: ok, it should be fixed now, try 0.7.0d or 0.7.1dev4a. The trim palette list button should remove more palettes now and the "x"-es shouldn't be showing.
Excelent, thanks DCER seems to be working (no x textures and pallets trimed to 110).

I will report back if I run into any other related issues :)

Regards,

C.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Good to hear.

Thunderchero, I suggest moving the last posts to the UE thread or a separate topic.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I always ignored the x's i didnt know it was a problem :o
Not for the weak of heart...
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Sorry DCER ... run into some more problems :(

Using 0.7.1dev4a

I reached my limit again and this time decided to clean out all the .gif files (execpt for those default ones required, cboom.gif etc), as I found some old .gifs in the textures list that should not have been there...

To do this I set all of the ships to use 1 model (t01, the borg cube) then deleted all of the other models. I then unpacked STBOF.res and deleted all of the ship texture .gif files that were there (and there was a lot, 30 odd at least). I then re-packed the .res, tidied things up in UE (as it had a lot of missing files and was getting confused) and used trim palette ... now down to 10 palettes (only 1 ship model at this point).

So I add some models in to do some tests, all seems fine, the corresponding .gifs are named as per the name of the ship/phaser slot, so as expected...

However when I do a direct replace of a model, the old .gif file (and corresponding palette) does not get deleted, it is left in place and a new random name seems to be chosen for the new ship .gif. The same appears to be true if you delete a model ... it doesn't seem to get deleted (texture is still in place).

I have a copy of my files if you want to take a look? its not a problem as such as i'm intending to sort out all of the models im going to use and then import them all in one hit (scale etc already pre done), its only a bit of a pain if you need to tweak something afterwards.

Regards,

C.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

"delete graphic files" button in add and remove ships does not remove the gif file from stbof.res. It only removes it from texture.lst and removes palette from pallete.lst

If you want to use the vanilla names of gif's you would need to add them manully with correct file name and overwrite old file. then edit hob file for that model to use the correct gif's. then register palette.

thunderchero
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Chernabog wrote:However when I do a direct replace of a model, the old .gif file (and corresponding palette) does not get deleted, it is left in place and a new random name seems to be chosen for the new ship .gif. The same appears to be true if you delete a model ... it doesn't seem to get deleted (texture is still in place).
I'll look into it.

EDIT: ok found the problem and it should be fixed now in 0.7.0g and 0.7.1dev5d (at least it worked in my tests).

Also found and fixed a potentially bad coding mistake in 0.7.1dev which would in some cases cause UE not to detect files as being present in stbof.res even when they were there.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”