another mod question

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

another mod question

Post by jonesie85two »

hello community.

i have heavy modified botf. basic concept was to extend the game development. i did this by increasing build times by 20-30 %, doubling research times. slowing down ships colonizing rates scan range speed. increasing the map to 43x32 with 507 space objects.

i played a game through to turn 100. majors had 3 star systems each about 20 scouts and 4 colony ships. one of the majors had membered a minor race.

i cheapened colony ships increase they're range. i increased base range's by 1. increased the homs systems to tech 2 with enough production buildings to develope faster. 30000 starting cash. i had hoped the money would be used for minor race bribes and buying ships.

playtest. after 100 turns majors have an average of 1 minor race each. 3 or 4 planets. HUGH fleets. mostly scouts and destroyers about 5 cruisers each. 3 spare colony ships. colonized worlds are between 5 to 10 sectors apart.

does anybody have a suggestion or two to help me fix whatever i have done wrong to mess up the ai development.

ps. the game difficulty is set to imp[ossible. andd i have a military twice as big. about 10 systems not including the 3 or 4 minors species membered
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Hi,

Cant say for certain what is causing your issues, but it could well be the building times/cost. The AI seems to prefer to buy stuff rather than make it if it can, so a lot of the time their systems are not building anything, just trade goods to get extra $ (at least thats my experience with the mod i'm making).

I have gone the other way with my mod and made buildings more accessable (the most expensiveis only 2500) ... AI seems to repond well to this with most systems being fairly well developed.

For ships you might have an issue due to research, i.e if AI research is slow then it might not be getting to the better ships in time and so is stuck looping though the AI ship building list (hence why you have lots of scouts/destroyers). I have slowed research in my mod, but I made certain that almost all types of ships are available earlier on down the tech tree (scouts, destroyers and cruisers from tech 1, command from tech 2 and strike from tech 5). But then again I have played around with my AI ship build list quite a lot.

Have you tried taking control of the AI controlled races in your save game to see what tech level etc they are at? You can do this by editing the savegame using UE, very handy for check out what the dumb AI is up to :)

Regards,

C.
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

i believe i figured it out.

i originally made the minor race attitudes towards majors very VERY strict. most neutral and lower. some receptive eg. fed to vulcan.

i made them a minimum of neutral. less trek law but the ai majors members more and developes further.

i also reduced the space objects to 275 from 507. map is VERY spacious but the ai colonizes alot more now!

after 100 turns
before / After
2 minors max between 4 majors / min of 2 max of 8

1 or 2 colonized worlds each / between 6 - 16

scattered colonized worlds / clustered empire

mostly fast attack some cruisers / same, ontrack with my fleet

example: tech for cruiser 1 / cruiser 2's beings constructed

CONCLUSIONS

minor race's play a huge part in the development of an empire. because i was membering about three by turn 100 i was developing faster. minor races in my mod develope faster than major races whilst majors had tech 3 minors have tech 5. with minors attitude towards majors set so painfully negative the ai majors didnt stand a chance.

as for the colonization of worlds i have to assume its a matter of availability. with 507 space objects there were a fair few star systems to pick from. some bad some good and some very very good. the ai only went for the best of the best first which explains the scattered empires. with less overall star systems the ai seemed to colonized what ever the hell was there to take.

thanks for the help Chernabog. it is much appreciated :-)
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

update, i have also noticed that if a major race is left to its self not interacting with any other it does not develope. if it ineterects with other majors fairly early in the game it developes faster (possibly to a potential threat).

Return to “Modding Information Archive”