Gnnnh!

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Gnnnh!

Post by Chernabog »

:cry:

After spending quite some time clicking the 'move up' and 'move down' buttons in the building stats page of UE (to ensure that the correct order of things is built by the AI) and after ensuring that all of the various hard linked buildings are still in their correct places (at least the ones I know.. shipyards, scanners, minors etc), BOTF still throws the below error...

---------------

ST:BOF Mon Jun 21 21:47:47 2010

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\game\tech\techhash.c, Line: 164, Cannot get the structure by id

Initialize State: 15
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 0
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0

---------------

I'm guessing there are a few more structures that must have specific ID's for the game to be able to operate as the above error is generated from the menu page (game crashes imediately, cant even see the menu, just hear the music). Problem is I have no idea which one(s) :?

Can anyone out there decipher the less than usefull error message, whereupon I might get a hint at which structure is causing the problem?

Thanks in advance,

C.
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

AAAHHHHAAA !

Found it... (I think) ... but it poses another problem 8O

I set 5 structures to use tech level 10 (All) ... all 5 of those structures have disappeared from the Building Stats page, which in turn has knocked all of the other building ID's out of sync (well most of the populated ones anyway) and I now only have 312 structure ID's (whereas there are 317 in vanilla).

Does anyone know (DCER help please :) ) if I can get them back?

Regards,

C.

PS: weirdly it only did the 'hide the structures' thing after I saved it, as they were there when I was doing my checks...

Edit:
Forgot to add, using UE version 0.7.1dev5d
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

I checked this and I'm sorry, the buildings are lost, you'll need to restore a backup.

The problem is setting level requirement above 9 won't work due to the structure of the edifice.bst file.

When I was adding this feature by request, I had a different idea about the structure of the file and didn't check. The result was that UE simply didn't save buildings with tech requirement above 10 as it couldn't.

Sorry for the inconvenience. The new version should have this feature disabled now.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

@DCER thanks for the info :) -- do i have to edit this only in a hex editor? (that's a yes i think) -- If i then use UE to add it back in and save will it update this file and therefore not save buildings with tech requirement above 10 as it couldn't or only if i change structures in UE afterwards?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

If you save with UE, no matter if the file is added or edited by UE any buildin with tech level above 9 will be dropped.

This is because UE has no where to put it.

See this topic: viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=21827#21827

The problem is the tech map. It has 10 "slots" for 10 tech levels (starting from level 0).
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I've just read that topic... looks like buildings with technology requirements above ten would require a major code re-write :.(

thanks thought for that infomation anyway it helped me to correct some of my misconceptions about the edifce.bst file

Return to “Modding Information Archive”