How to mod auto-upgrade of basic buildings?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Draco
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

How to mod auto-upgrade of basic buildings?

Post by Draco »

Hello everyone!

I would like to mod the following:

If you research a new level of basic building (factory / farm / power plant...)
All your NEXT colonies will automatically start with the corresponding level.

AND:

If you wish to upgrade an already existing colony's basic building (e.g. its factories) from say level 1 to level 3 (your current max level), you DON'T have to go via level 2 but upgrade vom level 1 directly to level 3.

Is that (easily) moddable?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

In BotF, nothing is easily moddable until it is found, analyzed, decoded, and then recoded. Then it becomes easy.

As of yet, this has not been found, but that does annoy me as well that you must build all level structures and waste away time/money doing so. This would be a nice bug to fix.

By all means, you may try to fix it. You will need a good Disassembler program like IDA Pro (costs money) and a good hex editor, such as HxD (which is free).

If you are not willing/uneducated in these areas, then just be patient and I am sure one day (most likely not too soon) the codemasters will get around to doing something by way of finding out how to change these things. Personally, i think it would be great to build a level 9 building in a new colony as soon as possible, to get production up to par.

*gets and idea, off to test it*
Not for the weak of heart...
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod
Draco
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Draco »

Well glad to give the hint.

You might take a look in Star Trek Supremacy.

While this Fan game is made from scratch, they exactly did what I looked for.

Sadyl, it has nothing to do with original BotF...

The one thing I would like to change additionally, would be to change the tech prerequisites for the basic buildings and the ships.

It's just stupid, that you HAVE to research all parts equally to get better ships or higher research / intel(!) buildings ALTHOUGH you COULD specialize.

My ideas:
Farms - BIOTECH only
Factories - CONSTRUCTION only
Power - ENERGY only
Labs - COMPUTER only
Intel - COMPUTER only

New ship types should be available through CONSTRUCTION only, BUT benefit from the latest WEAPON, PROPULSION, ENERGY ... tech you currently have.

But I guess this is just not doable. :(
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

This can be done simply change the tech level bonus for Food Industry and Energy ( viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=238 ) say 50%-100% and remove the upgarde buildings and there you go. however this will leave you with (9*3*5=) 135 spare building slots which you can either fill with new buildings or remove (reverse the process discribed ( viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1599 ) you will need to keep intel and research up grades as there is no bonus given (yet) for these.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

New ship types should be available through CONSTRUCTION only, BUT benefit from the latest WEAPON, PROPULSION, ENERGY ... tech you currently have.
I thought ships did like don't you get a tech bonus for weapons and can't ships go further with propultion?

Return to “Modding Information Archive”