Buildings which only increase range

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Buildings which only increase range

Post by Tethys »

Shipyards build ships and extend range. Starbases extend range, but are standalone structures/models in the game.

Is it possible to split shipbuilding from extending range, so that 2 buildings must be built to achieve the desired result? Meaning can we change one bonus type to reflect only extended range? Is it possible to insert custom values for extension of range or is it a fixed/unmoddable value which has not been discovered?

Thanks for any input
Not for the weak of heart...
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Good question --

I'm only gonna post a short answer Tethys tho:

Does anyone understand how the trek.exe implements building type (i.e. how what a building is creating is use within the game a various points.)?
For myself I certainly do not have this infomation (yet?) but i'll guess its mainly hard coded.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Peter1981 wrote:Good question --

I'm only gonna post a short answer Tethys tho:

Does anyone understand how the trek.exe implements building type (i.e. how what a building is creating is use within the game a various points.)?
For myself I certainly do not have this infomation (yet?) but i'll guess its mainly hard coded.
DCER has many locations since he has implemented moving of buildings with UE

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote:Is it possible to split shipbuilding from extending range, so that 2 buildings must be built to achieve the desired result?
Possible, though, with some work (some code for shipyard checks is shared for various purposes and also the AI scripts for certain tactical buildings have to be re-written, also some info on building energy handling has to be researched yet).

Tethys wrote:Is it possible to insert custom values for extension of range
Implementing a buiding output related range modifier should give you fun for at least some weeks (provided you know what you're doing).

Tethys wrote:or is it a fixed/unmoddable value which has not been discovered?
The way you're asking strongly indicates that you didn't even bother with reading the range topic (the provided range just depends on position & race resp. treaties, but not the source objects).

The same goes for this no-brainer -> 2nd 11 tech bonus ranges = former feds data, the 3rd 11 = former ferengi data, ASO...

Peter1981 wrote:Does anyone understand how the trek.exe implements building type (i.e. how what a building is creating is use within the game a various points.)?
For myself I certainly do not have this infomation (yet?)
If you're serious with understanding/learning that level of modding, I suggest starting with reading through all topics in the coding section and transcription of the knowledge into your IDA database (i.e. rename sub's & loc's). Carefully done, this will take 10-15h, but so you get an asm crash course + about 40% of the source code structure.

Also on this occasion I'd recommend participating in a list of useful subroutines (-> Wiki http://flocke.bplaced.net/botfwiki/inde ... =Main_Page),
in addition to the dynamic data: http://flocke.bplaced.net/botfwiki/inde ... _Variables

Here I started the project page for all new code researchers amongst the AFC members:

Library of Subroutines -> http://flocke.bplaced.net/botfwiki/inde ... ubroutines

(just leave Input/Output -Registers blank if you're unsure)

As you see, many sub's do almost the same (e.g. 445270 & 445300)

E.g. some topics with info on code handling of buildings:

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1236
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=491
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=224

Related to the topic:

Some shipyard building output IDs (found using info from the range topic + above topics)

Code: Select all

443366                 cmp     eax, 12h   // ship building (display only)
444D76                 cmp     byte ptr [esp+72h], 12h   // shared ?!
446538                 cmp     eax, 12h   // map range ?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Thanks SCT for the pointer infomation -- at the moment I do not have much time to work on learning and better understanding ASM coding -- even the 10 mins to night on the forums is my first look at BotF in dayz -- Haven't even had time to play a game in weeks! :(

However as Christmas and Valentines are the busiest time of the year for me it doesn't look like i will have the time until middle end of February.

As always the infomation you imparted about ship ranges was brilliant -- but with time not on my side at the moment and the rush to try and complete an alpha of the Early Era Mod for testing I can't devote the time to learning ASM as i would really want and like to however I appriciate you post comments and thougtht and will diligently try to study up in the near future.

further SCT fhank-you for the invite to help with the Library of Subroutines but I am not sure my standard is up to 'Helping' with this worthy project at the moment.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”