AI Combat Selection

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

tpatz
Ensign
Ensign

AI Combat Selection

Post by tpatz »

I have been playing UDMIII for the last few months and it ROCKS! There is something that bothers me a little. During the combat phase the AI ships always seem to go after the weaker ships no matter what my own fleets make up is. Why would the AI not want to destroy powerful cruisers first? Or have destroyers attack destroyers, cruisers attack cruisers ect...
Is there a way to change this minor thing?

If you are a fan of hard rocking music check out my bands website to hear the tunes.
www.myspace.com/ idlethought08
skurgerocks.com
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

EDIT:- removed - posted in error
Last edited by Peter1981 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpatz
Ensign
Ensign

AI Combat

Post by tpatz »

Peter1981,
Iam not sure what this is or what to do with it. Unfortunetly, I can barely do stuff with UE not much of a programmer. If there is no easy way then oh well. Long live Star Trek!

www.myspace.com/ idlethought08
> skurgerocks.com
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

sorry tpatz that wasn't what i ment to post -- i had a long distance phone call and didn't check what i'd put! Sorry

In responce to your question the AI probably seems to choose weaker ships becasue may just run through the designation 00 to 08 IIRC

00 SCOUT
01 DESTROYER
02 CRUISER
03 STRIKE CRUISER
04 COMMAND CRUISER
05 COLONY SHIP
06 OUTPOST
07 STARBASE
08 TRANSPORT

any way the order is something like the one above i think maybe IIRC the AI will attack a outpost/starbase first then deal with the ships

its always been one of BotF most annoying problems, a human player will assign ships individually if neccessary to diffrent target but the AI just tends to go for one at a time.

I don't think however much research has been done on the hiarachy the AI chooses to attack player ships.
tpatz
Ensign
Ensign

AI Combat

Post by tpatz »

I can undersatnd why the original programers would go into attacking individual ships ( too complicated ). ut, when the AI choses the weakest group overall the command cruisers get to barrage the enemy command cruisers with almost total impunity. Then just mop up the light attack ships. Well what can you do.
I watched Star Trek V last night on syfy. Awesome.
"Iwant my pain, I need my pain"
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

There's also been some limited discussion on the auto battle wich may also be badly flawed and IIRC SCT has had some inivative ideas about the combat.

However I think I you had the time to conduct a propper study of the AI's choice this would be useful infomation.

There was a post on here at one time about the tevent.txt? file the works with the -Mudd cheat and listed for every combat part (or ALL IIRC) the battle calculations..

any way working out how the AI does things is not really on the top ofd my list of things to do. But, maybe one day well have this answer as well.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”