Ultimate Dominion Mod III - Beta Info

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

count23
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by count23 »

laptop or PC? Aren't the 48 series a mobility model video card?

If it's a laptop, are you running in performance mode or battery saving mode?

If it's a desktop, how much ram does it have?
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

Frankly, neither Ram nor Videocard should be any real problem nowadays. Botf used to run quite well, even on my old Pentium I with a 32MB graphic chip.

If you can't figure any problem with the videocard, maybe its related to the OS? Aswell a DX diagnostic might be helpful, but since I even managed to get BOTF running on WIN7 recently, ....
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
count23
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by count23 »

Mentat wrote:Frankly, neither Ram nor Videocard should be any real problem nowadays. Botf used to run quite well, even on my old Pentium I with a 32MB graphic chip.

If you can't figure any problem with the videocard, maybe its related to the OS? Aswell a DX diagnostic might be helpful, but since I even managed to get BOTF running on WIN7 recently, ....
You'd be surprised, even on my Quad Core with 4 gigs of ram it chugged like crazy when you got to turn 150 or so.
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

@Thunder:

I went back to UDM3.0.0a_b last night, and started a few games on UDML large maps.

I found one problem there: All minors are distributed in the left half of the map. So starting on the right half of the map is pretty bad for an Empire.

I thought you had solved that problem before, but I obviously can't find the corrected Trek.exe for UDML anymore.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Mentat wrote:@Thunder:

I went back to UDM3.0.0a_b last night, and started a few games on UDML large maps.

I found one problem there: All minors are distributed in the left half of the map. So starting on the right half of the map is pretty bad for an Empire.

I thought you had solved that problem before, but I obviously can't find the corrected Trek.exe for UDML anymore.
Here is replacement exe only for UDM3.0.0a_b Large install only

replacement trek.exe for large maps only

thunderchero
exceL
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by exceL »

After playing this for about a month, I can say that this is an awesome mod; however, like any mod, there are bound to be some issues here and there. You guys who designed this mod are doing an absolute amazing job of not only fixing, but even updating and adding on additional miniature things here to make an already amazing mod better.

However, I'm encountering a problem - quite a big problem, in fact. I've tried searching the forums about this, but I haven't found anything, so I will bring it up here: after either accepting or sending a membership treaty to minor races, GENERALLY there are roughly 30 farms, industry buildings, and science centers... or something like that. However, in a few of both UDM and UDML games, after accepting or sending membership, when I access the minor race's colonies, there are either no industrial buildings (most common problem) or no science centers (50/50 - so maybe this isn't a problem, but just a part of the game).

Considering this is a pretty big problem, I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet. Has no one else experienced this problem before? Or am I simply missing something? :oops:

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

Additional information: playing Romulans on UDML small - turn 47, just accepted membership from the Xepolites, and they have 43 farms and science centers, and 42 science centers, but ZERO industry centers.

Just a few turns earlier, I accepted the Risan's membership offer, and they have 21 farms, 2 industry buildings, and 2 energy centers.

This problem seems to be more frequent with Romulans (happened in another game too), but I can safely say that this has happened with other races too - I forget who though. I just remember in a separate game, the Trill had joined me (Romulans) .. same problem there - no industry buildings.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

yep you're missing "something" ;)

I read somewhere in the forum about this problem. I'm sure it was a post from one of the code masters. But the forum is big and an overlook isn't that easy. ;)

in sp, you should wait some turns after the minor popped up and then ask them for membership.

I don't give em much money at once to get them. Instead I give them lesser credits constantly over a long period of time to avoid this problem.

In my experiences, if you're bribing them it to fast, the buildings are missing. Not allways but often. (and not only a problem in UDM)
exceL
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by exceL »

KrazeeXXL wrote:yep you're missing "something" ;)

I read somewhere in the forum about this problem. I'm sure it was a post from one of the code masters. But the forum is big and an overlook isn't that easy. ;)

in sp, you should wait some turns after the minor popped up and then ask them for membership.

I don't give em much money at once to get them. Instead I give them lesser credits constantly over a long period of time to avoid this problem.

In my experiences, if you're bribing them it to fast, the buildings are missing. Not allways but often. (and not only a problem in UDM)
Hmm, by "waiting some turns", do you mean over 100 turns or so? I had met both the Risans and the Xepolites in my first ten turns - and I had kept a friendship/affiliation status for over 20 turns. I actually had tried to prolong the relationship before membership to, as you said, avoid this situation. I'm guessing that I didn't wait enough? I actually take the same approach (more or less) as you. I try to give a small amount of credits every other few turns. I was already broke bribing them here and there and massing warships (I'm at war with everyone except the Dominion, and they are already icy towards me, so...). Now Xepolite Prime is at the border of Cardassian territory with 4 orbital batteries and no industrial centers, haha.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

exceL wrote:Hmm, by "waiting some turns", do you mean over 100 turns or so?
in some games I had to wait 40 turns and more and it was very annoying. Even if I colonized the planets in the first turns after the first contact to accelerate the "pop-up-process".

Another thing what you can do in your further games because in this game it is already to late - is that you know that this and that race will have some problems with the buildings - don't encounter and try to avoid them until they pop up from alone.

Then they will have buildings in most of the cases, but not allways. I had this problem even with the Vulcans, that they did not had any food buildings and to wait until they get more orbitals seems to be the only way imo.

I read somewhere that there are different type of minor species (explanation and testing from Gowron I guess). It was about that research species like Vulcans, Warriors like Chalnoth and so on all pop up different.

It was a really interesting thread about this whole topic but atm I have no time to look for it. :/
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

@exceL: Also to clarify, this is a bug (feature?) found in the original game as well. It's not specific to UDM or any other mod.
Last edited by Martok on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
exceL
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by exceL »

Ahhh okay, thank you both for the tips/responses! So, I guess I was indeed missing something, haha. Back when botf came out, I never really played with minors :oops: so I had no idea about this problem. :D But thank you both again for clarifying, and special thanks to the development team of this mod!
San_Greal
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by San_Greal »

hey guys, i have a quick question...hopefully you can help. whenever i'm in combat, all of my ships flicker. the fighting is normal, it's just a bit annoying is all. has anyone had this problem before? I'm using the SOFTWARE installation, if that makes any difference...Hades doesnt work for me.

thanks.
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

San_Greal: Please be a bit more specific on your settings:

Graphic card, OS, installation type of the the Multi installer (Vanilla, Hades1.1, Hades2.2.)

All we got is that you have the stbof.ini set to "software". On a quick shot, you might try the hades2.2 install, and change the stbof.ini to 'SOFTWARE'. This worked pretty well for the 'latest' emulated AGP graphic cards. It could aswell be that you need the "3dfx" setting or the "directX" setting.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
Falco84
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Falco84 »

Ok guys, i've tried not to be an asshole and ask about the mod before finding out on my own, but all it turned out is that I spent the last evening and this morning reading the forums and still can't install UDM.

First of all, I removed every BOTF version that I have on my computer. Then installed Main Multi 1.0.2 with all possible settings, and then UDM III.

When I ran the game the intro is playing, then it takes me to the main menu. I choose the game type and race, and them the race intro is playing. After that the game crushes and it takes me back to desktop. No messages or error reports.

What am I doing wrong?

And can someone make a list of what and in what order should I install all the files so I can play UDM?

P.S. I have windows 7, and I can play the original BOTF.

P.P.S. The game (Main Multi 1.0.2) crushes just the same without installing UDM III.

Please help.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

if you are on window 7 beta sorry, it is not compatable

thunderchero

Return to “Modding Information Archive”