Ship Seperation Problem Anyone Help

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Ship Seperation Problem Anyone Help

Post by robert_defore »

I just placed a new model into the game and during combat photons fire and then right as phasors from my ship begin to fire it crashed without a crash report. Anyone have this problem before and know what is the cause.

EDIT: Instead of starting a new post I just edited this one. I am uploading a shiip pack of the TNG Freedom, what was to be my next release. I have made two diffrent models, changed all the components on this thing and even tried diffrent textures and tried to manually BSP, but I still get the result you see on screen. The phasors works and she flies right, sometimes once I sep I get this result, sometimes part of the saucer is visible sometimes part of the nacelle is gone, I dont know what the problem is. Other than the invisible ship parts, the thing works like it should.

BTW it has 8 slots and 150 scale in the ship pack. It should not cause your game to crash. Here is the ship pack if anyone would like to peek and tell me what they think!

http://www.4shared.com/file/kp2VCqg_/TNG_Freedom.html
Last edited by robert_defore on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

This sounds like a phaser error in model or trek.exe not matching.

without seeing files or code used it is hard to say what is incorrect.

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

I will resep the model and check the hierchy and look for anything out of the way. Ive done this many times now without any problem hopefully it can be corrected easily. If I get some kind of error report I will post it so you guys can see if you can detect the problem. Until then, its back to work!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

if you upload the hob file and trek.exe used I could give you more info.

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Here is the hob and the trek.exe

trek.exe
trek.exe
hob file
fs_a.HOB

thanks for all the help TC . I really appreciate what you do here. I hope all these new models will help continue to motivate ppl to play this wonderful game.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Your hob file had no phaser data.

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Wow, if the hierchy view in the FLT shows the phasor slots do I just need to go all the way back to the 3DS and relight and add phasors and do the BSP all over again. And yes the slots did have faces assigened. That is what I will try. Thanks for analyzing that for me TC, I will fix it right away.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

You know this is the second model in a row I have screwed up on, maybe I need to give it up.....for the night! :lol:

EDIT: I tried something on a suspicion just after I posted this thread. I deleted the nacelle and voila, it worked and seperated without a hitch. Must have been something in the way I designed it that was screwing up the seperation.

EDIT: I tried something else and now it is all better, turned off the autoslice funtion and checked the only horizontal or vertical planes which ever and it seperated like a charm.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Still having that problem , this time on another model I have already successfully released, the TOS Akula. But I have narrowed the problem down. At first I selected pahsor slots and lit the model as I normally would have, and voila, missing polys in the game. The second time, I did everything as normal but I didnt do any lighting effects, and what do you know, no missing polys. I really dont know what I could possibly be doind during the shading portion that is screwing up the model so bad. The only diffrence is that I moved some textures a little and moved a face or two on the nacelles so that I could light up the inboard of the warp nacelle to glow blue. Next I will light only what I normally light and see what happens. I also thought about what if the transparency setting had something to do with it , but I do not see why. The poly is still there to the computer, regardless as to whether we can see it or not, right>>>>
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

robert_defore wrote:The poly is still there to the computer, regardless as to whether we can see it or not, right>>>>
Maybe maybe not, bsp separation may get confused and just remove polygons.

I have only attempted using transparencies once.

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

It well may not be a good idea to use transparencies. I tried the whole gig this time, without any transparent polys , light the model, shaded and seperated, it worked like a charm. If my other models seperate now without the transparent polys I will post my findings here so that others will avoid this problem. Note: I have used limited transparent textures before, but only in one or two spots like on the buzzard scoop. This time I was making large portions of the nacelle transparent, this may have just been too much for the creator to handle.

ThNX

RD

Return to “Modding Information Archive”