Tools for modding

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Korgeta
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Tools for modding

Post by Korgeta »

Once I get botf running I have plans to spend time on making a botf mod, I like the concept of mod it gives you great freedom and creativity though I'm sure it is a lot of work. I am new to modding so like to ask several questions.

In regards to botf where do you basically start, what software programs do I need to start on designing a mod?

Is it better to create models (starships etc) or request models from another mod/site. Is it possible to design your own ships without crashing the mod?

while adding new and original icons onto facilities can be done, is it possible to replace pictures of the game's ending of the starring race (fed, car) with original ending designs?

A lot of work yes but I like the challenge and like to know what tools i need as well as what aspects of vista i need to have a understanding on.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Tools for modding

Post by thunderchero »

Korgeta wrote:Once I get botf running I have plans to spend time on making a botf mod, I like the concept of mod it gives you great freedom and creativity though I'm sure it is a lot of work. I am new to modding so like to ask several questions.
Good luck with your project
Korgeta wrote:In regards to botf where do you basically start, what software programs do I need to start on designing a mod?
This post has almost all the links to very important info

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1284

Korgeta wrote:Is it better to create models (starships etc) or request models from another mod/site. Is it possible to design your own ships without crashing the mod?
This would depend on your needs. As far as I know there are no outside sources for BOTF models (this is only site) Currently only about 4-6 members have the talent to create models compatible for BOTF.
Korgeta wrote:while adding new and original icons onto facilities can be done, is it possible to replace pictures of the game's ending of the starring race (fed, car) with original ending designs?
Any image can be replaced as long as it conforms to the image rules.

tga images must be 16 bit tga images or will cause crash

images can be edited in size but wdf file would need to be edited to allow new size (this is not easy)
Korgeta wrote:A lot of work yes but I like the challenge and like to know what tools i need as well as what aspects of vista i need to have a understanding on.
some older programs that are needed may not be compatible with vista without updating. (most are compatible)

good luck

thunderchero

Return to “Modding Information Archive”