Could Anyone Please Help With A Few (Private) Modifications?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

NicholasQuinn
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Could Anyone Please Help With A Few (Private) Modifications?

Post by NicholasQuinn »

Okay, hey all. I'm completely new to these forums. I've had a brief read of standard procedures etc, and tried to find out this information for myself; but I've admittedly not done a detailed search. So please bare with me if anything I ask is answered else where (linking me to such things would be helpful), or if I'm in anyway violating any rules.

Okay. So, disclaimer out the way...

Basically. I currently utilise the Ultimate Dominion Mod for BOTF (its amazing, thank you to the creators), and was simply wondering how I could go about modifying a few 'small' things; purely due to personal taste, not out of any mistake of the mod.
- Just to make sure its understood, these modifications will not be distributed. I know it would be very rude to do so, but I'm pretty sure no-one has anything against modifying my own install file. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've done a bit of modding for KOTOR, which had a very useful tool for such things. Other then that, I'm completely inexperienced, and I've yet to do any for BOTF. So if these ideas are completely out of my league, again, please let me know.

If anyone could help me answer any of the following, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1) From what I understand of the Mod, it has removed the Borg Cube random event, and apparently replaced it with a Sphere - although I've yet to see one. I would like to reverse this change, and bring back the Cube in all its might.

Is it possible? How do I go about doing it? What tools would I need?

2) I've seen someone on these forums someone is creating a cannon Dominion War game. I would like to attempt something far more basic, on a far smaller scale. Ensure a certain minor race is near a certain major race, and other small things like that. I think this is perhaps they least feasible of my ideas, but it bares asking.

3) I'd like to change it so the Constitution (light cruiser) and Excelsior (medium cruiser) can both be used at the same time. Perhaps by changing it so the Akira (heavy cruiser) would be the upgrade of the Constitution, or something to that effect.

It just makes thematic sense, and I sometimes play at the 'Early' Empire Development stage, as it can be quite enjoyable.

Umm. I think that is it for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Again, apologies if I'm breaking any etiquette.

Cheers!

- Tl;dr -

Advice for modding requested. See questions for specifics.
- Yes, I know that means you have to read it anyway. :twisted:
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

you can use the Ultimate editor provided here:

viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=173

it can do all the things you asked.

for 1) you simply use the editor to open the stbof.res file then replace the sphere with the cube from the orginal version of the game. (if you use the multi installer for botf both versions should already be installed on your pc)

for 3) same here. but instead of replacing a ship you just edit its tech requirements so that it becomes avaiable sooner or later ingame

2) Dificuilt one. iirc somebody already did a canon map for the game. perhaps you can find it in the download section. as we can not create a new map from scratch it requires you to 1. start a new game 2. save that game 3. open the savegame file (like game1.sav ) with ultimate editor and move the systems to their proper place. 4. save your work in UE 5. load the game with in botf
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
NicholasQuinn
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by NicholasQuinn »

Thank you kindly Dr. Breen, that is very helpful.

The first and third points I've resolved, the second, as you say is a bit more tricky- so I'll have to take my time with that one. Although I know how to, in theory now.

As an addition to put one, do you (or anyone else) happen to know which variable determines which 'random event ships' will occur more frequently then others? For instance I've yet to go a decent length game without seeing the species ship, but had yet to see the sphere?

For point three, whilst I play with it, I've worked out how to 'switch' systems around (e.g switch a random system with Vulcan, or another system), but how would I go about simply adding a minor race system? Some systems also show up as '?' (presumably unexplored), even when using the 'cheat' view.

Thanks again!

P.s. I think that cannon map is still a work in progress, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I was entirely wrong, and utterly blind too, or so it would seem. You are right about the maps, they're even included in the UDM files. My bad.
Last edited by NicholasQuinn on Tue May 24, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

you might want to check the stbof.ini I think borg is turned off in UDM so they will not appear. :wink:
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

NicholasQuinn wrote:
For point three, whilst I play with it, I've worked out how to 'switch' systems around (e.g switch a random system with Vulcan, or another system), but how would I go about simply adding a minor race system? Some systems also show up as '?' (presumably unexplored), even when using the 'cheat' view.
you cannot add systems to a savegame. you can just move the existing systems around alltogether with the race populating it. you can change the races that show up ingame, by changing their name, picture, name of the homesystem, behavior, ships used,.... but you cannot tell which minor races will apear in a new game. if you select "many" when defining how many minors to show up the game just randomly picks 20 (i think it's 20 not sure) minors and places them on the map.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
NicholasQuinn
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by NicholasQuinn »

thunderchero wrote:you might want to check the stbof.ini I think borg is turned off in UDM so they will not appear. :wink:
:roll: Good hunch you had there...

Thank you. Also note the thanks in the opening post, specially for you and the others it applies too.
Dr_Breen wrote:you cannot add systems to a savegame. you can just move the existing systems around alltogether with the race populating it. you can change the races that show up ingame, by changing their name, picture, name of the homesystem, behavior, ships used,.... but you cannot tell which minor races will apear in a new game. if you select "many" when defining how many minors to show up the game just randomly picks 20 (i think it's 20 not sure) minors and places them on the map.

Thank you again for your help. Whilst that is a shame, everything has limits. At least I can modify them to an extent.

Come to think of it, a Dr. Breen is listed in the credits of the game. If that is you, also note the above. If not, I appreciate the help none-the-less.

Cheers!

Return to “Modding Information Archive”