Another couple questions

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Another couple questions

Post by astrotrooper »

First can I make the ship pack without hex editing - just export the files into a ship pack and drop them where I need them?

Second my ship name is rc7 so the TGA picture files are named i_rc730.tga, i_rc7120.tga, i_rc7170.tga, i_rc760.tga - I added them to the res file - they are not showing up - so do I have to rename them all? and rename the ship .hobs too? - if I rename the .hob-s do I have to rename the .gif file?

If I rename the gif file will it be enough to re-connect it to the hob in Ultimate Editor? Or do I have to go back to the pre-conversion phase.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Another couple questions

Post by Dr_Breen »

first: once you successfully IMported it with hex-editing, you can easily EXport it with UE without hex-editing. UE will store the necessary hex info within a separate file in the shippack so everybody using UE can import it later on without hex-editing.

second: did you add a wireframe TGA as well? did you alter the shiplist to use rc7 as a buildable ship for one of the races? did you create 3 .HOB files (rc7_a.hob, rc7_b.hob, rc7_c.hob)? The .HOB and .TGA filenames must match however the .GIF don't have to.

third: yes that will be enough (not 100% sure perhaps Thunderchero can back me up here?)

Good luck. Don't forget to post some ingame shots as soon as you made it.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Another couple questions

Post by thunderchero »

Dr_Breen wrote:third: yes that will be enough (not 100% sure perhaps Thunderchero can back me up here?)
if gif's are rename you just must keep track of them and assign them in correct order to each hob file again (you should have done this to original file name)

thunderchero
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

first: once you successfully IMported it with hex-editing, you can easily EXport it with UE without hex-editing. UE will store the necessary hex info within a separate file in the shippack
In other words you cannot simply make a zip pack with all the necessary files and import them with UE - and you MUST use hex editing?

did you add a wireframe TGA as well? did you create 3 .HOB files (rc7_a.hob, rc7_b.hob, rc7_c.hob)?
Of course.
did you alter the shiplist to use rc7 as a buildable ship for one of the races?
Do you mean ship stats with UE? (or is there some other list?)

I succesfully renamed all of the files za_ the gif files match up despite the renaming (for some reason) so that problem is solved - the large picture shows up in the ship stats list and I changed the romulan strike cruiser to it - but it still does not show up in the add/remove ship models list...
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

astrotrooper wrote:In other words you cannot simply make a zip pack with all the necessary files and import them with UE - and you MUST use hex editing?
You must hex edit the trek.exe for the phaser slots. Before it would be playable in game or vaild export in UE add and remove ship models.

All new models must be manually added before a ship pack can be created.

thunderchero
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

I see - allright... I'm not a friend of hex editing.. I don't even have one installed ..

But I'll look for an easy to use editor and give it a shot...
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

hi there astrotrooper, this link help me a lot when i´m about to finish:

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1638

i always visit this link, because i don´t remember every step in detail, so i use it as a guide.
Hope it helps !!!!
Live long and propser
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

btw, post some pictures once it´s done !!!! :D
Live long and propser
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

anjel wrote:this link help me a lot when i´m about to finish:

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1638

i always visit this link, because i don´t remember every step in detail, so i use it as a guide.
Just added a direct link to the modding index. :)
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

Thanks Bones.

I have the commands written down from the video - I just copy them in..

Except for regisobject that's not on the video..
Last edited by astrotrooper on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

Here's the high-poly version - the nacelles had to be downgraded a bit to cut verticle count but the lower poly version looks just as good though. (that's the actual gif texture it will use - already imported to a game palette)

I deleted the flt files of the lower poly ones after the crashes I only have the max files. Here is what the lower poly one will look like.

Here's the TGA images after I added the first version and 2 minutes before crashing..

images no longer available
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

Romulan cruisers of the Romulan War

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/romulan-cruisers.htm
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

looks exceptionally good !!!! and it´s a really interesting mesh, difficult one, because it has a lot of rounded areas, that makes the poly count go higher.
I´ll make you a dumb question, have you tried to modify the stbof.ini file in your botf directory, the "3D:" option to software ???
Live long and propser
astrotrooper
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by astrotrooper »

The difficult part was re and re-exporting it into Creator to take care of transparencyes... and the snags.... (the 6 rocket launchers and the bussard collectors were a nightmare - there's still a couple of minor flickers in some parts (bottom 2 nacelles) from some angles..)

But if I get all the other ships done and the mod, it should be great to refight the romulan war - and the conflicts in the eras that followed up to TOS.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”