Combat Running Slow Under Windows 7

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Combat Running Slow Under Windows 7

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

I finally got around to installing UDM III on Windows 7, but I am having trouble with combat mode and the ships in the research database.

The first problem was the game would crash whenever I clicked on a ship in the research window and whenever I entered combat mode with the 3D set to DIRECT3D.

I changed the setting to SOFTWARE so no more crashing within the research database, but when you enter combat it's very slow. Eventually it will pick up, but whenever phasers or torpedoes fire it gets slow again.
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Re: Combat Running Slow Under Windows 7

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

Ok, I read it's because of the higher poly count from the ships used in UDM III, but shouldn't I be able to use DIRECT3D instead of SOFTWARE. But I'm still puzzled why I can't use DIRECT3D on my laptop without the game crashing which is much newer than the old pc desktop that runs DIRECT3D fine. Both of them have integrated video cards.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

JeanLucPicard1 wrote:Ok, I read it's because of the higher poly count from the ships used in UDM III, but shouldn't I be able to use DIRECT3D instead of SOFTWARE. But I'm still puzzled why I can't use DIRECT3D on my laptop without the game crashing which is much newer than the old pc desktop that runs DIRECT3D fine. Both of them have integrated video cards.
Take your video card out of your old PC and put it in your laptop but be sure to use the same drive that your PC used and if you are lucky then your laptop might be able to run under DIRECT3D. :roll:

in other words this is a video card/driver compatibility issue. It could also be the default setting of video card causing conflict.

most newer cards try to speed everything up and BOTF can not handle it.

thunderchero
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

Well the taking turns is much faster on the laptop with 6 Gigs of Ram and 1GB vid mem on the laptop, but in combat mode it runs faster on the 5 year old pc. I guess it's pick one or the other (faster turns or faster combat), though the laptop is much quieter :D
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

1 other suggestion try installing

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=8109

this is directx 9 redist package this will not change your current version of directX but update any missing files for direct play that directx 10 no longer supports.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”