Membering minor race bug

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Membering minor race bug

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

Is it worth the trade off? That is the question.

In all my tests so far I have not had any minors when I member them have 0 structures of any kind. (excluding intel, minors never build intel. Research most will have some.)

Now the trade off, All races major and minor use the same main structures The cardassian full set, 5 types 8 upgrades for each.

each race/minor would still have the unique bonus value.

I have renamed some structure to a more generic names Hydroponic Farm, Assembly Yard, Fusion Plant, Intel Center and Research Center.

I have also adjusted all minor to never start with private farms (they some time would get stuck and would be unable to upgrade)

The real draw back would be all races would share the same build cost.

So we would lose unique images and names and an average build cost applied.

So I ask again is it worth the trade off?

thunderchero
Lathon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Membering minor race bug

Post by Lathon »

I would say yes, because who hasn't been extremely disappointed after membering a minor of 400+ population, to find them either without food, industry, or both?
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Are we talking specifically for the mp mod? Or for other mods too? It is an interesting way around the bug and for some mods (mainly the MP mod, Fluids, BoP, maybe the no micromanagement mod) it sounds like a good option to ensure that a minor will have industry to pump out ships quickly. But for mods like UDM, GALM, AAM, etc where balance really is not addressed so much I think the trade off isn't worth it. Every game I played the minor had either research or industry in plenty so if, for example, I made Bajor a member and they had no industry well then they just became a research minor which can be advantageous too. And of course if industry was there then make it whatever planet type you want. But no having all empires have the same structures and values simply for minors to have all buildings isn't worth it IMO.

edit: Nevermind... I didnt know build cost wasn't related to actual construction time. So yea sounds like a good idea. :)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

with out farms/power/research -- i can live with that and sort out quite quickly -- however industry is a diffrent thing all together, A large newly membered minor as usually had alot of money (wasted) on it if it hasn't the potential to produce things (i.e. ships!) -- I was playing a game yesterday and had membered the Ullians and they had both type 1 farms (I built those) and type 1 hunting grounds. -- I think there was a mod-related bug.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Peter1981 wrote:I was playing a game yesterday and had membered the Ullians and they had both type 1 farms (I built those) and type 1 hunting grounds. -- I think there was a mod-related bug.
No that was a UE related bug reset your buildings with "reset all" should fix it with 7.2dev3a

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote:Now the trade off, All races major and minor use the same main structures The cardassian full set, 5 types 8 upgrades for each.

each race/minor would still have the unique bonus value.

I have renamed some structure to a more generic names Hydroponic Farm, Assembly Yard, Fusion Plant, Intel Center and Research Center.

I have also adjusted all minor to never start with private farms (they some time would get stuck and would be unable to upgrade)

The real draw back would be all races would share the same build cost.

So we would lose unique images and names and an average build cost applied.

So I ask again is it worth the trade off?
Luckily, there is no need to cut down on diversity. I've just had another glance at the code and I think the bug should be quite easy to fix. So I will see if I find the time at the weekend. To speed things up, I'd need a short list of the edifice.bst IDs of all manned buildings (including all 5 primitive farms).

Some short off-topic notes:

- I just read about a code typo in unknown ships bug-fix

- I've sent thunderchero instructions how to disable the solo mode command ship restriction

- AI map scan fix -> the 25.0 float (see post) has to be changed accordingly (or better set the *colvar.wtf "distance" values to 0.0 for larger maps. This won't help much, however, I made some progress wrt analysing AI map scan. But it's way more complicated than expected, i.e. no publication anytime soon)

One of the admins/mods please update the corresponding coding posts.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Luckily, there is no need to cut down on diversity. I've just had another glance at the code and I think the bug should be quite easy to fix. So I will see if I find the time at the weekend. To speed things up, I'd need a short list of the edifice.bst IDs of all manned buildings (including all 5 primitive farms).
That sounds great good luck in your efforts.

I have updated the post and sent you a PM with short list.

thunderchero

Return to “Modding Information Archive”