Opinions wanted - renaming the Sovereign-class 'type'

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Opinions wanted - renaming the Sovereign-class 'type'

Post by Darth_Windu »

To elaborate a bit, I despise the 'dreadnought' classification. It's not a real classification and is generally only used by those who have heard it in passing, but have no understanding of why the Dreadnought was a good idea.

Anyway these are the options I've come up with thus far, and am curious as to what input others might have, either an opinion on the options or your own experiences would be great. The options so far:

- Exploration Cruiser (too long)
- Heavy Command Cruiser (too long I think)
- Assault Cruiser
- Command Cruiser (rename the Galaxy type to 'Command Ship')
- Battle Cruiser (not a big fan of)
- Battleship

Thoughts?

EDIT: turns out 'Exploration Cruiser' is too long as well. Okay for one ship, not okay for more than one in a group.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Opinions wanted - renaming the Sovereign-class 'type'

Post by Peter1981 »

Explorer?
Tactical Cruiser?
Command Vessel?
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

i like tactical cruiser.
I remmber once, Picard say something like they left to be explorer ("Insurrection" movie???). Since they used the sovereign class, all their mission were about solving diplomatic problems or defending tactical points.
In the books they always were almost indise the federation, a few times they had to leave federation borders, because the situation demanded that.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

I always tended to think of it as an advanced explorer or possibly flagship explorer. When the Sovereign was designed it was intended to be the most advanced ship in the fleet. Just as the Galaxy was its predecessor, it was the biggest and best ship and served to explore beyond the edges of Federation space. A stand alone vessel that carried the banner of the Federation to unknown species while more than capable of standing on its own. If the names are too long then adv explorer should work fine :wink:
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I like 'Tactical Cruiser' but it doesn't really make much sense in terms of military terminology - after all, they're all built to be used tactically. Explorer is a good one as well, the irony being that in BotF the Sovereign and Galaxy classes can't actually explore, since their range is so limited :)
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Range can be edited a number of ways to make ship be able to Explore further from an outpost or shipyard. Open up UE stbof.res/edit/ships/ship stats and that will allow you to change range of a specific ship short, medium or long. Also in UE open up trek.exe edit/game/ship map ranges. Here you can adjust the range for each propulsion tech level through tech 11. BTW on Memory Beta the Sovereign is classified as an explorer ship by the Federation. Hope this helps you
Morf
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Morf »

Like & use Heavy Explorer for TNG era. Or Heavy Cruiser on mods using "future" ships (like Excalibur) that make better Fed's Command Cruisers for that time.
Clifford
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Clifford »

I support the point anjel mentioned: Even Picard is complaining about the changes happend in the Federation. If you look at the setup of the Sovereign it's no Explorer Vessel at all, it's a ship of war. It has less than one third of the volume of a Galaxy class, but is carring even more weapons. Therefore it has a lack of laboratories and supllies for long range exploring.

I like battleship most, with tactical cruiser coming second.
foz
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by foz »

Personally i agree with the dreadnaught classification it is supposed to be a revolutioary new battleship a new direction. Less Picard starfleet and more sisko starfleet. Battleship would also be a good one. I think there should have been far more classes of ships in the game. Which is why I normally edit the game to include a destroyer class vessel which is light on the phasers and heavy on the torpedos calling it a missile cruiser. Also mod a science ship into a fighter class. I make it cheap to produce and maintain giving it a few powerful weapons whilst keeping it extremely agile. I balance this out with making its defensive capabilities extremely limited. Making it the kind of ships seen in ds9 strafing the command ships (and getting obliterated by return fire). Hope some of these ideas might interest you (even if i went way off topic)

Return to “Modding Information Archive”