Mod request Random map generator change

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Badbru
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Mod request Random map generator change

Post by Badbru »

I see alot of new changes to our beloved old game comming from our talented modders so I thought I'd ask:

How hard would it be to have the non minor race systems not named by the random map generator, but rather named at the point of colonization so that the system names more accurately reflect the colonizing race?

I was playing Klingons in UDM3 today and noticed that it (UDM3) contains alot of system names that sound like they ought to belong to a specific major race, or that we know have belonged to specific races. Systems like Nelvana, Kitomer, Praxis, etc. Ships get their names from a list, in Galaxy mod Tethys has found a way to name outposts and starbases, presumably from a list accessed at initial construction. Could we not make lists of appropriate Major race biased system names and have it accessed to assign a system name to a system only upon colonization?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Mod request Random map generator change

Post by Flocke »

probably not too hard but think there are more important things to work on, this is rather cosmetic ;)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

It would involve bringing up something like a SP chatbox too. And chatbox in MP is quite buggy, so one could assume also that any kind of box that needs typing entered could be considered equally flawed, since the fix for the MP chat is still unknown tmk.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I don't think it would cause issues, the ids are important but system names? who knows, maybe, but a new menu box to type in text is no problem with mpr++ anymore, and seperate random lists would be no problem either ;)
but could be that on mp systems are then named different for the players, but not uncommon to give different names for same thing by multiple races :)
Badbru
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Badbru »

Tethys wrote:It would involve bringing up something like a SP chatbox too.
Why would it need a chatbox? I was thinking more like your mod when you begin to make an outpost in Galm it gets named. The player has no choice in it and if you later upgrade to a starbase it gets renamed again at the start of construction. System naming in this fashion I hoped would occur when the player gave the colonise order to a colony ship, or at the start of the next turn when the colony has been founded.

Since I don't play multi player I had not considered that aspect of it however if all system names came off a race specific list, as I'm sure they currently come off a non race specific list somewhere, then it shouldn't be a problem for multi player as all players need the same mod so would have the same inbuilt lists.

It may only be cosmetic to some but then adding new ships was essentially just a cosmetic change once, new screen interface for say the Borg or Dominion, only cosmetic really but how much does that enhance your game play. Plus think of the value to total conversion mods like Babylon5 Mod, Delta quadrant mod etc. Heck if I knew anything about modding I'd do a Traveller Mod.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Ah ok, so splitting up the system names into categories. Thats actually not too bad an idea. Could have Generic group 0, with most of the Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Sigma/Gliese star names, one for Klingon star names (that would be generated near the Klingon spawn point) and for the other races? Yes?
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version

Return to “Modding Information Archive”