Have XP SP3; d-clicked on joker's patch, get error

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Greystone
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Have XP SP3; d-clicked on joker's patch, get error

Post by Greystone »

Hello people;
I'm trying to get Bof to work with WinXP, Service pack 3.
I downloaded Botf-102-W2K-XP-9X-English-German.exe. to desktop.
Then did a clean install of BoF from original CD.
Then I double-clicked on above patch and got a dialog box labeled "7-Zip" with the words "Unspecified error" within.
Where to from here...?
Thanks.

Edit: I also tried executing joker's patch after installing the Microprose's 1.02 patch over the clean install with the same results.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Greystone

this is what I would try,

uninstall game from control panel
delete BOTF folder from installed location (if uninstaller does not do it)
download ISO from here; viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewd ... ils&lid=74
mount iso or burn to cd at slow speed 8-12x max
run installer from iso or cd use max install, no to adobe and direct X
download jokers pre SP3 patch from here and install. http://www.4shared.com/file/29366073/7c ... erman.html (save in differant location due to file name is same as newer patch)
next if you want opening videos download iccvid.dll and copy to BOTF folder from here; http://www.4shared.com/file/47147906/55 ... ccvid.html

good luck,

thunderchero
Greystone
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Greystone »

Uh-Oh...
First off, thanks for your generous response.
Unfortunately, though, parts of your suggested implementation of a solution are over my head.
I've downloaded the botfiso.zip to my desktop and d-clicked on it to take a gander; got a winzip error: "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive.", with a suggestion to try a 2nd attempt at downloading it.
I don't know what's meant by "mount iso" and I don't have the means to burn a cd. Also, the instructions on the "iso" dowload page refers to mounting the iso on deamon tools, which, you guessed it, is the first time I've encountered the word "deamon"
This puppy doesn't have a clue.. I have a hard time expecting anybody to hold my hand through the entire process.
And it's getting late...
So, I'll scrounge around the web and see what this "deamon tools" thing is and what an iso means, etc. over the next days or weeks or whatever time life spares me and get back to you through this thread. It helps to at least have a fragmentary brush with the native language when in a foreign country... :)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

well good luck,

just to let you know there is many programs that allows a virtiral drive, that is what an ISO work on, the one I use is Alcohol 120% with this program installed it will let you mount the iso as if it was an extra cd rom (or dvd rom) on your system.
so if you need any help just ask.

thunderchero
Joker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Joker »

> Then I double-clicked on above patch and got a dialog box labeled "7-Zip" with the words "Unspecified error" within.

faulty Botf-102-W2K-XP-9X-English-German.exe download
redownload
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

@greystone

This THREAD will help you to use daemon tools.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Greystone
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Greystone »

Hello people;
I'm happy to report that, taking Joker's advice, I tried another download of his patch for WinXP SP3. This time it was a good download and, when applied, upgraded the game properly instead of giving an error message. Looks like I'm on my way to enjoying the game at long last.
Cheers...

Edit: That's not to say that the download of Botf-102-W2K-XP-9X-English-German.exe from this site is faulty; only that the first attempt resulted in a bad download, as indicated in my first post in this thread.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”