List of Hades Compatible and non Compatible video cards

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

User avatar
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator
Posts: 2065
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Your mom's bed ;)
Contact:

Post by Tethys » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Here nis what I think, and I spoke to Tc about it today:

Higher poly models have a higher tendency to crash in Hades. How do I know? Well, I dont. But take into consideration this: New Warbird model crashes in research screen in Hades 2.2 with new files. Romulan Raptor class HERE does NOT crash, no matter how fast/many times I click back and forth with other non crashing models (such as Shrike class and Talon class)

My theory is that the models were converted too large and too many polys (crashing ones) or with incompatible textures (256/128). Since Jigalypuff (I believe) supposedly made the non crashing ones (in my tests, but this should be tested further). I am not 100% sure that this is a system-specific crash, although anyone using ATI card and drivers might find they crash less often.
Not for the weak of heart...
Image
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod

User avatar
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator
Posts: 2065
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Your mom's bed ;)
Contact:

Post by Tethys » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Models converted originally by Voltron, my mistake

BTW, I am using Phenom II x4, ATI 5770 1GB, and Win7
Not for the weak of heart...
Image
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod

User avatar
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by Flocke » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:01 pm

goodone wrote:all of my guesses are quite logical, if one takes time to think about them.
logical for your point of view, I won't dispute that.
goodone wrote:botf/mpr was made to handle three/two texture resolutions, and i simply cannot imagine they did it that way just because they could - there has to be an engine dependent reason.
Read about mipmaps, than you know why:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap
Todays grafic cards have no problem rendering many high-res textures 1024x1024 or maybe 4048x4048, and if the texture works in single ship 3D view, you can expect it to work in combat as well, the textures are shared between ships of same type.
goodone wrote:following this logic and my different experience from what seems common here, i find modders' practice to use only one ship texture resolution a wrong one.. i do not have time to fully test it, i'm not a modder or a modeler
right, you find it wrong cause you think your guess by your logic is right and so criticise but actually have no plan about modelling, converting, modding and don't seem to be experienced in 3d game programming either. And well, you have not the time to proove but in other words state the modders are doing just shit, else it must work for everyone cause you never had a problem with your personal install of unmodded botf on your personal machines and system configurations.
Isn't that what you wanted to say?
goodone wrote:and i'm already taking too much time contributing to this community than i should have afforded myself
same for me :)
goodone wrote:but i find it respectful and worth my contribution, if sometimes absurd over some issues [like things i already spoken about, which i thought by ten years of botf someone would have gotten by now], so i simply contribute.
That's nice as long as you keep same respect to the modders that have worked quite hard and tested alot to get their mods working well and are still trying to improove them (although it might be hard for you to believe, they are NOT ignorant, but sadly many have become quite inactive).
goodone wrote:not a single one of my conclusions is simply wrong. if that was the case, nobody would bother replying this much, would they?
I won't deny, but is it the only possible conclusion? Most here around might not have your expertise, but they have experience with mods and problems and there have been several reasons for crashes. One interesting theory I've read recently was about multicore cpus. Cause on my laptop with a dualcore hades crashes way more often than with my older machines that were single core (with them I've experienced crashes hardly ever), maybe I should give it a try to disable one core. If you know some about multi threading, having a longer computation for the grafics, e.g. by higher poly count, it's a much higher risk to get conflicting memory access, but that would be related to the way botf is accessing the grafic engine and expectably not up to the grafic engine itself. And it's a random occurancy you can have good or bad luck with.
goodone wrote:also, since i value my time spent writing these things down, i rly find it annoying when someone dismisses them just because he thinks i know nothing about the whole issue. that's not how u combat wrong ideas, if u rly think they r wrong. u combat them by proving with facts, providing examples and statistics. otherwise it's just - well, ignorant.
Start prooving with facts yourself if continuing to combat modders. Ideas and background information is welcome, but keep same respect you're claiming for yourself to others having different experiences.
I doubt you wanted to combat on any modder, but than work on the way you express yourself. Don't take everyone other as a dumb nut only cause you thought they should have known some particular stuff about hades like the ini settings or cpu driver dlls. They might know things you don't, too, and for sure many here around have quite alot experience with mods that you do not.
goodone wrote:anyway... i have provided my logic here, everybody have freedom to read it and acknowledge it [if it doesn't get deleted - that is], so i have done what i wanted. hopefully, someone will find it beneficial, if others find it 'blablablalaberlabersülz'.

in conclusion, i find that i have overstepped my behavior patterns over this, so, i'll just leave this topic and that will be the end of worries, both urs and mine.
let's leave it at that :)
however, ideas and experiences or background information is welcome
but this topic is about which grafic cards make problems or not, and not about mods or general hades issues, so better use another topic if there's something to report. Maybe start a thread and name it "my personal experiences and assumptions" ;)

cheers

User avatar
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator
Posts: 2065
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Your mom's bed ;)
Contact:

Post by Tethys » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:50 pm

well put Flocke. I didnt expect you to be this polite lol :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Image
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod

goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 2:00 am
Location: Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Serbia, Europe
Contact:

Post by goodone » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:34 am

Flocke wrote:
goodone wrote:botf/mpr was made to handle three/two texture resolutions, and i simply cannot imagine they did it that way just because they could - there has to be an engine dependent reason.
Read about mipmaps, than you know why:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap
Todays grafic cards have no problem rendering many high-res textures 1024x1024 or maybe 4048x4048, and if the texture works in single ship 3D view, you can expect it to work in combat as well, the textures are shared between ships of same type.
today's gpu may handle a load bull of whatever, that's not the question. the question is - can mpr handle it? ofc, it can not. there's only that much it can do. it was made to respect certain boundaries, and y the hell do u have to dismiss them all together?

btw, by force-feeding me this information of urs, i think less of ur own knowledge. now, did u rly have to do that? no, u didn't, but u like to exercise control over newbies, don't u?

then comes the question, why do ppl have to use old, slow, buggy vanilla software mode, instead of hades 2.2 direct3d with mods like udm, while it works just fine with direct3d and no udm?

i'll leave freedom to others guessing what the issue is.

but, that's why i won't play udm, also. i simply can't stand buggy game experience, no matter how great it looks. it's not a visual art, it's an art of gaming. and not a fps either [which would count for visual dependent game, if i would ever waste my time on such a thing].

but, it seems u all follow non-based conclusion that hades is not worth it, and r simply slowly dismissing it. well, at least u haven't influenced me, no matter how much u think u know about the game. there is certain lack of basic game engine knowledge here, and it may be this community demise as it goes worth in developing. hopefully, the great wisdom gowron has will not cease to serve him, and he will continue to publish plain, non-multimod version of his contributions, which ppl like me can use. hopefully, he'll also stay away from adding too many new ship models, at least until the community rethinks its modeling strategy. i already have to fix textures on certain bop models before i play.
Flocke wrote:it must work for everyone cause you never had a problem with your personal install of unmodded botf on your personal machines and system configurations.
Isn't that what you wanted to say?
not rly. but i guess u didn't bother to read my posts here carefully, but instead wanted to defend the owner of this place, because i'm just another arrogant newbie who doesn't respect the elders, right?

that's noble and respectful, but just proves my initial conclusion i had about this forum - no new ppl are welcomed and appreciated, or at least not if they rly try to contribute something. they should 1st just lurk and write more than a few hundreds short stupid posts, just to get high forum status, before their mind is respected enough. well, human limits are limitless, i don't know why i always hope for better.

anyway, it's not "unmodded botf, just me, and my comp". it's more than five mods [many of which are overlapping], tested in my play group, and over fifteen different configurations, over a time of last ten years. and no issues.

now, just out of respect, i bothered to reply to ur question, even if u didn't bother to summarize my posts before asking, insulting me in the process.

...in conclusion

anyway, if i get no other self-righteous reply here, i will rly stop posting my personal thoughts here, as promised. so, please don't pull me back with ur thoughts about how i should behave, please.

User avatar
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by Flocke » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:13 am

If I didn't welcome and value new beings, believe me, the reaction would be different. I put my effort in trying to lessen your arrogance, but just got the opposite. I'd welcome your expertise and soon realized you have some - which you simply can't expect out of the place - but just like many others here around, best hades compatibility isn't worth for me reducing model and texture quality to the minimum or just stick with the original models.
Improving grafics is a main key of UDM, it's a reason why so many people play this mod, and it's true that it's hard to keep it as compatible with hades as unmodded botf, but I know thunderchero - as he currently is maintaining the mod and as one main developer - tries his best to keep it compatible with hades. And it's not that it doesn't work for anyone.

Tell me the boundaries you've found for mpr. What exactly are they?
Botf didn't just regard boundaries by mpr, but also by computation speed.
Using smaller grafics - and it's known hades can't handle above 256x256 is mainly an issue of speed and you could have read the link about mipmaps.

In conclusion, I just hope not every technical expert joining this forum behaves that arrogant. I try my best not to be and I concede my expertise is limited as it is for everybody else.

I don't know why I already post this much again if it's going to be interpreted as an insult again anyway. :roll:
my self-righteous being, maybe...

goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 2:00 am
Location: Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Serbia, Europe
Contact:

Post by goodone » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:07 am

well, it's not interpreted as an insult this time. maybe my interpreter is broken... or just out of time. :p

so, maybe it would be a good thing to compare the way ur two posts were written, and learn a degree in psychology. ;)

u have succeeded in lessening my arrogance now [it haven't left entirely, ofc :D]. so, not everything is lost. we can still be friends. :)

maybe even others can learn something here. :D

User avatar
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by Flocke » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:40 am

I'm learning about psychology all the time on here :lol:
The video is great, thanks :)

Post Reply

Return to “Modding Information Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users