List of Hades Compatible and non Compatible video cards

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

i played hades 1.1 with a geforce 7950 gt successfuly with "DIRECT3D"

as i am about to get a 9800 gtx for free i'd like to know what settings i can use with it, does anyone know that?
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS - 512 MB
Windows7 - Most recent updates and drivers as of post date

Hades 2.2 - Fails on 3DFX, Mixed results but mostly fails on DIRECT3D, Fails on SOFTWARE same as DIRECT3D.
Hades 1.1 - Fails on 3DFX, Fails in DIRECT3D, Works well on SOFTWARE
Vanilla (Software) - Fails on 3DFX, Fails on DIRECT3D, Works well on SOFTWARE

ps. updated
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

1. sometimes there are dimensions between some sequenced driver versions - so some info like the version-nr could be interesting and helpfully

2. also there may be differences within some cards. so one and the same graphics card may have the same description but came out to the market in different versions using diverse gpu's, shader units, whatever... which might be using different instruction sets or whatnot

3. GPU-Z Screenshots could do this thread something good. Because it is almost useless as it now is
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Sorry for digging up this post but I hope to add my information to this collection of data as well. I am running a laptop utilizing Nvidia GeForce 9800M GS, Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, installed the Multi-Mod Installer with Ultimate Mod 4 and I wish to say first that without any adjustments after installation, both UM4 and v1.0.2 will crash when viewing ships at the research screen and after two battles (regardless of size) using DIRECT3D or 3DFX settings. The game has no issues other than slow laggy battles when using SOFTWARE settings.

However, I am happy to say that I have stumbled upon a fix for my setup. I had to set my affinity for BOTF to only using one CPU (I did this using Core Affinity Resident software) and I had to terminate explorer.exe while the game is running. This fix allows me to utilize DIRECT3D and 3DFX and the game will now no longer crash when viewing ships in the research screen or after having more than two battles. I terminated explorer.exe by using the following method:

1. Open up Notepad
2. Pasted the following information into Notepad:
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
trek.exe
start explorer.exe
3. Saved the file as "botffix.bat" and Saved As Type "All Files"
4. Placed this newly created batch file into BOTF (or UM4) directory
5. Create a shortcut to this batch file and ran it like normal BOTF.

Doing this has eliminated my crashing. I have been playing UM4 for about 170+ turns without a crash. I hope to see other people try this to verify if this fix could be used across multiple systems. Sorry for the long post. :(
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

I'm runing on Windows 7, ATI RADEON 5450, 512 meg video card. 6 Gig of Ram. 64 bit OS.

The game is on 3D=Software.

When I'm on the battle screen, and that there is a large amount of ships, lets say 60+, the battle goes on a slow pace like if I had no video memory or ram at all. The video flickers black as well. What should I do to improve the quality of the video?
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

3D=DIRECT3D, Hades 2.2,
works properly on:
Radeon 3450 256MB, Catalyst 10.8,
Radeon 3200 256MB, Catalyst 10.8.
fails on Hybrid CrossfireX setup, most probably incompatible with any combo setup [doesn't surprise].

3D=SOFTWARE, Hades 2.2,
works on CrossfireX, but really slow in combat, as usual.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

SeaBee-T wrote:Sorry for digging up this post but I hope to add my information to this collection of data as well. I am running a laptop utilizing Nvidia GeForce 9800M GS, Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, installed the Multi-Mod Installer with Ultimate Mod 4 and I wish to say first that without any adjustments after installation, both UM4 and v1.0.2 will crash when viewing ships at the research screen and after two battles (regardless of size) using DIRECT3D or 3DFX settings. The game has no issues other than slow laggy battles when using SOFTWARE settings.

However, I am happy to say that I have stumbled upon a fix for my setup. I had to set my affinity for BOTF to only using one CPU (I did this using Core Affinity Resident software) and I had to terminate explorer.exe while the game is running. This fix allows me to utilize DIRECT3D and 3DFX and the game will now no longer crash when viewing ships in the research screen or after having more than two battles. I terminated explorer.exe by using the following method:

1. Open up Notepad
trek.exe
start explorer.exe

Doing this has eliminated my crashing. I have been playing UM4 for about 170+ turns without a crash. I hope to see other people try this to verify if this fix could be used across multiple systems. Sorry for the long post. :(
Interesting. I might try this soon :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Ok. To update on my previous post, it worked in the early stages of the game (fewer ships, I guess?) but towards the end-game state where the empires have expanded to cover most (if not all) of the map, the game will crash after two visual 3D battles. I guess my solution postponed the inevitable. :P
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

SeaBee-T wrote:it worked in the early stages of the game (fewer ships, I guess?) but towards the end-game state where the empires have expanded to cover most (if not all) of the map, the game will crash after two visual 3D battles.
and which botf installation kind are u using? are u ultimately 100% sure there is no 512x512 model among ship .gif files?

for all my years of playing on various hardware configs, i haven't experienced crashes/issues with hades [only with vanilla software rendering]. but i also install botf and mods manually - i do not use multi installers. this makes me 100% sure there are no game files that could affect game stability.

having read all ur various experiences which do not rly resemble my own, i am buffled with what may be the cause. i just hope it isn't some small, unnoticed error that causes all these issues.

this is a typical install i am using:
1. botf original,
2. botf 1.02 joker patch (autoinstall ok),
3. multipack 0.19 (manually better, autoinstall for win9x),
4. hades 2.2 (autoinstall ok, will copy disc files on hard),
5. mod (bop, manually),
6. patches for ship textures if any needed (getting _a & _b to 256px and _c to 128px, resample&sharpen best, restore palette),
7. delete backup/temp files from botf dir,
8. performance: set 3D=DIRECT3D in stbof.ini file, copy mpr565pm.dll over mpr565.dll [or whichever is used].
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Well, I've been using the Multi installer and been using the UDM Mod III. I'm nowhere as technical in my modification of my BOTF files, so I'm hoping on the update on the Hades in the other post. :)
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

i am quite sure udm3 is not compatible with hades. i haven't checked it's textures to be sure, but just by examining other ppl posts and general info about the mod, i guess it simply wasn't made with respect to 256x256 hades limit. bop has the same issue - there are a few textures that require scaling back to 256x256, but nothing that can't be quickly done.

as for multi installer, maybe it's time for a revisit. i find it strange that so many ppl using it report issues common to bad gif/hob files. one can simply determine if that's the issue, by browsing ships in database research screen [one should inspect all ships, and rotate every model a bit; that means starting game at least once for every major race]. if it crashes there, u found ur problem. if it crashes mainly in combat, the issue may be model switching [wrong alternative models], but also weapon fire, explosions & other support animation.

hopefully, i am using so many mods/addons that any defective file gets replaced with a better one, freeing me from any issues all this time.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

goodone wrote:i am quite sure udm3 is not compatible with hades. i haven't checked it's textures to be sure, but just by examining other ppl posts and general info about the mod, i guess it simply wasn't made with respect to 256x256 hades limit. bop has the same issue - there are a few textures that require scaling back to 256x256, but nothing that can't be quickly done.
All multi mods are compatible with hades even BOP multi installer.

thunderchero
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

i'm not speaking about multi installer versions.

and way too many ppl are reporting problem with udm3 and hades to dismiss it so easily.

but, since i am not using either [udm3 or multi installer] i will not continue my case. i simply use other kind of deployment, and since it works, i prefer not to waste additional time.

but my recommendation stays.
iNqUIrY: whO ArE yOU?! Image
Image a cYbErnEtIc LifEfOrm,
LingErIng On hUmAnItY. Image
Prometheus
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Prometheus »

thunderchero wrote: All multi mods are compatible with hades even BOP multi installer.

thunderchero
As far as I can tell Goodone wasn't saying that multimods aren't compatible with hades, but that they have glitches in them, faulty resolution textures that causes most of the problems that ppl have reported, namely I'm speaking of 512x512 textures that are incompatible with any hades version, I can't speak for udm3, since I never tried it, but bop, has several textures that are in 512x512, and thus must be reduced to 256x256 manually, so the errors may be averted.
Noo Ani Anquietas Hic Qua Videum - We are the Ancients, this is the place of our legacy.
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

SeaBee-T wrote:Sorry for digging up this post but I hope to add my information to this collection of data as well. I am running a laptop utilizing Nvidia GeForce 9800M GS, Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, installed the Multi-Mod Installer with Ultimate Mod 4 and I wish to say first that without any adjustments after installation, both UM4 and v1.0.2 will crash when viewing ships at the research screen and after two battles (regardless of size) using DIRECT3D or 3DFX settings. The game has no issues other than slow laggy battles when using SOFTWARE settings.

1. Open up Notepad
trek.exe
start explorer.exe

Great, its working fine - no crashes with direct3d or 3dfx at all!! Youre my hero ;-)

on GTX 470 SLI OC, Win7 x64 SP1 beta with i7 920 @3600mhz an 6 GB RAM @1900mhz!!
when its worked on my pc, it will work on any systems ;-)

Return to “Modding Information Archive”