Race Picture glitch

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

Race Picture glitch

Post by The_Undying_Nephalim »

I recently downloaded the ultimate editor and have been editing various aspects of BotF. My issue surfaces when I try to replace a minor race portrait with a new one. I successfully import the new 16-bit tga into the program and set the race's portrait as that and then save. When I encounter them in the game the photo changes to a random tga every time. I loaded up the editor again and the race's portrait also changed to another random picture. It seems no matter how much I try this error seems to be happening both in game and in the editor. Any explanation?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi,

What version of UE are you using and what is the file name of the image you use? Can you upload race.rst somewhere so I can take a look?
The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

I found out the problem, apparently the image's width was 30 px too large. I shrink it and it works fine. I'm having another problem though, it seems whenever I add another ship to the game botf refuses to start up and displays nothing but a blank screen. When I remove the ship the game starts up just fine. I thought perhaps the reason why is it was doing that was because I added a minor race ship and that maybe there was a limit to the ships minor races have, but to test the theory out I added a cardassian ship and the same thing happened. Any ideas what might be causing that?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Check if crash.log has any entries.

It could also be mod specific, try adding ships to vanilla. Should work, if not try UE version 0.6.8b, if it's not already the version you use.
The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

Same issue happened in vanilla botf.

Here's the crash log:

-------------------------------------
ST:BOF Sun Feb 22 20:59:44 2009

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\game\military\readship.c, Line: 209, num ships in binary not same as SHIPLIST.H

Initialize State: 15
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 0
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Use version 0.6.8b

http://www.4shared.com/dir/248238/25afb ... ditor.html

Then under Edit->Ships->Ship Stats pick a ship, click Create Copy, select the copy (below the original) and click Remove. Then save and the issue should go away.
The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

I have been using version 0.6.8b, though I tried performing your "copy/remove" trick. It worked perfectly and the game runs fine with the new ships. Thank you so much for your help.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

No problem.

The error you were having was caused by the number of ships not being set right in trek.exe, UE assumes the number is set correctly and changes it only when needed (when adding/removing ships).
The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

Another problem seems to have shown up. Now whenever I get into the combat mode, the game freezes up and several seconds of the music track loops. I'm forced to ctrl-alt delete to exit the game and nothing shows up in the crash log. I thought maybe one of the models I inserted was faulty, though I experimented and it crashed in fights with stock ships. Any idea what might be causing this issue? Once again thank you for any help you can provide.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

this also might be anouther problem with hades files. stardust may correct me but have seen similar problems and this seemed to help. so try this

here is a list of file to remove from install folder.
if you are having problems with UDMIII, folder should be C:\BOTF or C:\BOTF\UDM if using multi installer.

remove any file with these names
gen.mpr, gen.mpr, mpr97.dll, mpr555.dll, mpr555m.dll, mpr555p.dll, mpr555pm.dll, mpr565.dll, mpr565m.dll, mpr565p.dll, mpr565pm.dll, mprd3d.mpr, mprp2.mpr, sh34w32.DLL

then add these files after unrar to same location you removed files.
http://www.4shared.com/file/87807143/ca9be313/test.html

this will give you vanilla mpr files and settings if you are set to "SOFTWARE"

thunderchero
The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

I think I should note that I am not using UDMIII and that I am using vanilla botf and experiencing these problems on vanilla botf. I tried replacing the vanilla botf files with the ones you sent me just to see if it would work anyway, but the game still is crashing whenever I enter a battle. There's still no crash log showing up, so I have no clue what might be related to causing the issue.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

then next check would be in research screen to see if there is a ship that might be causing problem. if one ships crashes everytime this might be problem with phasers sharing a slot with a vanilla ship.

But I am just guessing on this.

good luck will check in morning if you had any luck, night

thunderchero
The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

I'm not sure if it would help, but I ran an integrity check in UE. This is what it displayed:

Check results:

Warning: shiplist.sst: Image i_rm1w.tga size is 120x101 pixels should be 120x100 pixels.
Warning: shiplist.sst: Image i_rm1w.tga size is 120x101 pixels should be 120x100 pixels.
Warning: shiplist.sst: Image i_vw.tga size is 120x120 pixels should be 120x100 pixels.
Warning: shiplist.sst: Image i_v120.tga size is 120x120 pixels should be 120x100 pixels.
Warning: edifice.bst: Image cun_b.tga size is 270x226 pixels should be 270x225 pixels.
Warning: edifice.bst: Image fun_b.tga size is 270x226 pixels should be 270x225 pixels.
Error: palette.lst: Number of palettes > 127
Warning: aiminor.wtf: Misnamed entry: Antideans (now renamed to Bynars)
Warning: aiminor.wtf: Misnamed entry: Breen (now renamed to Bolians)
Warning: aiminor.wtf: Misnamed entry: Tholian (now renamed to Betazoids)
Warning: aiminor.wtf: Misnamed entry: Gorn (now renamed to Antedeans)
Warning: race.rst: Image antidean.tga size is 159x170 pixels should be 160x170 pixels.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

@ Thunderchero.

I often get points in the game where I have the problem Nephalim was describing. The game apparently freezing and music looping, on any screen not just tactical combat.

But it always frees up again after about 10 seconds or so and in my case anyway I noticed this problem appered all of a sudden after a Vista update. So it's not the game but my pc acting up somehow.

But the files you send me have sorted out the Research screen problems I was having.

As for the present crashes Nephalim.

I was having something similar the other day while testing my mod everytime I encountered the Gorn Ships in battle.
I eventually had to go into UE, create a ship pack and export the files for the Gorn ship and then replace it, and since then it's been working fine.

But my point is when i was having the crashes I had the same thing. Crash to desktop and nothing in the log to tell me what went wrong.

And as for the errors in the integrity check.
The misnamed entries i'm guessing are because You re-named the minor race entires on the 'minor race attitudes' screen in UE.

Even if you've changed minor races on Race info, planets, ships etc. their original names have to be left as are in this screen because they're linked to the tga image files for each minor race.
UE has noticed the two no longer match for some races and tried re-naming them to correct it. And in my experience UE doesn't always get it right.

And if the names here and the ones for the tga files don't match it messes up the attitudes of the affected races, hence why the Antideans are always 'enraged' in vanilla.

Number of paletts have to be less than 127 or that will cause crashes left right and center.

http://armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/ ... 65&start=0

Thunderchero wrote a series of tutorials to do with adding new ships. The 7th shows you how to reduce the palette size by getting all races to use the same fiiles for explosions, weapons fire etc instead of all their differently coloured ones.

As for image sizes being very slightly over/ under? As far as i know they shouldn't be an issue but i might be wrong.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
The_Undying_Nephalim
Ensign
Ensign

After some frustration I decided to just restart on what I was doing from scratch. So far I've been adding one ship in at a time and testing them and everything seems to be working now. Thank you all for your help.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”