'Tweaking hidden ship stats, values & attributes' 101

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Gurgeh
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

'Tweaking hidden ship stats, values & attributes' 101

Post by Gurgeh »

Recently (while playing DCER's 'Resistance Is Futile' mod) I've found myself a little unhappy (no offense DCER :) ) with the way the major races various ships had originally been differentiated by the allocation of 'bonuses'; that is by the raising or lowering of particular statistics such as hull strength, shield and weapons capabilities, cloaking ability, and other much less frequently discussed values and attributes such as attack rating, defense, and agility (whose titles seemed to speak fairly adequately of their function).

Anyway, I was interested in getting a few of the ships some way back to the way I know and like them (such as most of the Klingon vessels, number of which had had the ability to cloak taken from them), so I fired up the Ultimate Editor and soon discovered that it wasn't going to be as easy as I'd thought...

Upon opening up stbof.res in UE and going to 'Ships' - 'Ship Stats', I quickly found most of the variables I was after laid out before me on a single page, alongside some I'd never come across before such as 'shield penetration' and 'shield level'. Still more surprising was the absence of any listing for 'attack rating' (although defense is there) and no sign of 'damage control' (which I'd planned to increase for the various Borg vessels in the mod) either.

So, I was wondering if any kind soul who's in the know might enlighten me as to exactly what the more esoteric terms actually mean, what they affect in terms of gameplay, and how I might go about tweaking them???

Agility is fairly obvious, but I suspect my understanding of the 'defense' value is quite possibly incomplete. Does defense work in relation to 'attack'? What's the 'attack rating' of a ship based on?
'Shield penetration' and 'shield level' would seem to be of some importance as they're there, but how precisely do they function? (Is it like with cloaking devices? - ie 'Cloak I', 'Cloak II', etc? )
As far as damage control goes I understand it's primarily a function of crew experience with an increasing bonus applied for each progressively higher level (from 'Green' to 'Legendary') with an additional bonus if the ship is in a sector with a shipyard or starbase (either one of yours, an affiliate or ally), but I'd expected it to have a base value that the bonuses affected, one that was perhaps race related (y'know like Klingons suck at repairs, but Starfleet's engineers are the finest in the quadrant sort of thing. :lol: )
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Re: 'Tweaking hidden ship stats, values & attributes' 10

Post by DCER »

Gurgeh wrote:Recently (while playing DCER's 'Resistance Is Futile' mod) I've found myself a little unhappy (no offense DCER :) )
None taken :)
Gurgeh wrote:Upon opening up stbof.res in UE and going to 'Ships' - 'Ship Stats', I quickly found most of the variables I was after laid out before me on a single page, alongside some I'd never come across before such as 'shield penetration' and 'shield level'. Still more surprising was the absence of any listing for 'attack rating' (although defense is there) and no sign of 'damage control' (which I'd planned to increase for the various Borg vessels in the mod) either.
Shield penetration and shield level were taken from botf's tactical logs. I'm not sure if they have any effect so I just leave them be.

There are two values for attack rating: beam accuracy and torpedo accuracy (also taken from botf logs), so you can set how well a ship hits with beams and torpedoes separately. On the other side is defense - it sets how well the ship evades attacks.

There was a post from Gowron I think that explains accuracy and defense in more depth and another I think by Spock-cuddly-tribble which lists results of testing of shield penetration and shield level. I hope those are still around, try searching in google as the forum search is bugged.

Damage control was also explained somewhere and it can be edited in trek.exe with a hex editor (UE doesn't have this). Again wit some search you should be able to find it. Nevermind here it is: viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi ... sc&start=0 :D

Here are some more links:

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi ... highlight=
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74

Have fun researching and modding :)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Damage Control(…)Shield Level(…)Its functionality is quite similar.
Damage Control -> experience dependant multiplier for hull damage (link above)
Shield Level -> ship dependant subtractor for shield damage
Means every single shield hit will be substracted by the value. Damage=Hit-SL(0 if negative)

In theory an interresting feature (armour), but AI is unable to adapt and retreats in the majority of cases.
Also unknown how it affects damage by neutron stars, orbital batteries or the auto battle.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:the function of Shield Penetration is still misterious to me
Apparently planned as a beam-weapon feature, but no effect found yet.
No bypassing of shields or shield-level.

Beam & torpedo multipliers are working, but pointless (should generate different effect against shield & hull).
But Gowron mentioned plans for the future. :)

Some more links for you:

:arrow: Hit Probability

:arrow: Stealth and Cloak (Ignore the nonsense in the middle of the topic)

:arrow: Attacking a System
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
ISS_Voyager
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by ISS_Voyager »

^^^
Could you elaborate on the purpose of "Shield Level"?

Are the AI starships "aware" of their opponent's Shield Level?
If so that would be... good...

(Or do they just run away, as usual?)

Return to “Modding Information Archive”