Minor race attitudes!

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Mentat
Commander
Commander

Minor race attitudes!

Post by Mentat »

In UE we have a nice listing of all Minor race attitudes when you alter stbof.res with it. The point is, it doesn't seem to change the attitudes for real? Could this be connected with a setting in Trek.exe? Since either in UDM3.0.0 or in my add on, the Maquis/Bajorans are neutral to the Cardassians instead of hostile/engraged.

Is the entire demanour more dependent on the type of personality?
e.g.: The "warlike" Risans seem to hate anybody but the Federation, who they have the best hostility setting with(receptive).
While hostile set Maquis/Bajor just goes to neutral with Cardassia ingame, because they are only deceptive/spiritual?

Edit: I am doing some tests atm. with various combinations of Attitude and Personality, its seems that it might be connected with that.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

The only reason it would not work is if the entry names in aiminor.bin and/or trek.exe are wrong. Run Check Integrity, if it doesn't mention aiminor.bin then trek.exe is broken. This is mod specific and setting attitudes works in normal circumstances.

EDIT:

just checked and trek.exe has races listed in the wrong order. This means when you edit Ferengi you're actually editing T'Lani. I'll add code to UE to auto-fix it.
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

Thanks a lot DCER! This really makes me think to better get into Hexediting after all, ... your help is highly appreciated though.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

DCER wrote:just checked and trek.exe has races listed in the wrong order. This means when you edit Ferengi you're actually editing T'Lani. I'll add code to UE to auto-fix it.
I thought I got them in the right order. I guess I was wrong :cry: sorry

thunderchero
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

It happens.

Sorry I haven't done the fix yet, just had to take my new - one month old - laptop to the shop. It won't turn on any more.

Computers don't seem to like me at all. the one I'm at now has a display problem. the colors are out of whack. One moment everything is fine, the next the red is the new black, cyan is the new white and where you should have a smooth transition of a color from dark to brighter, you get a rainbow. And taking this old one to the shop would cost me half of a new one - more than it would be worth working properly. And based on previous experience it would just die a month after a 400eur service anyway.

So, anyway if anyone else feels a bit down, I found these two to be cheering me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIX0I2F-CO0

They have some funny songs :D
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Minor race attitudes!

Post by Kurn »

I still don't understand exactly what difference it makes when I change the personality of a minor race.
For example: I played the Cardassians. The Trill attitude is icy and their personality is peaceful. I hailed a Trill ship at first contact. It fled and next turn they declared war. Also Trill built a lot of OBs.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

personality;
would be the race in general is "peaceful". each type of personality has a different value and is used in many calculations.

attitude/hostility
Is how a minor race views a major race. this only effect starting attitude on first contact. but is also used in diplomacy calculations.

(but I never understood, if it is truly "first contact" everything should be neutral). but I guess it would have been difficult to code AI adaptable depending on game play. so they used preconceived/known minor race attitude.
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm personality;
would be the race in general is "peaceful". each type of personality has a different value and is used in many calculations.
Which calculations? I found only bribe/gifts.

thunderchero wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm (but I never understood, if it is truly "first contact" everything should be neutral). but I guess it would have been difficult to code AI adaptable depending on game play. so they used preconceived/known minor race attitude.
You might be right.
If the Bajorans/Bolians/Vulcans would be neutral to the Cardassians, they might become allies, when the Bajorans/Bolians/Vulcans had many OBs, even if the Cardassians already exploit many weak minor races. It would be difficult to believe the Bajorans/Bolians/Vulcans would be pleased with their membership after knowing about the cruel methods of the Cardassians.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Kurn wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 am
thunderchero wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pmeach type of personality has a different value and is used in many calculations.
Which calculations? I found only bribe/gifts.
You have to dig for them in the asm code. They never got posted, analysed and tested due to primitive, time consuming coding with unsatisfying modding options. Anyhow, below come a few code switches, but only some of the 'pacifist' checks appear to hold real significance.

My last game (except for tests) was way back in early 2007 (the same applies to any other computer gaming), but there is some behavioral anomalies with minors IIRC. E.g. Mintakans offering membership on first contact despite of insufficient sympathy and these:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3033&p=6051#p6051

Code: Select all

AUTO:00429E6D                 cmp     ebx, 2          ; pacifist?
AUTO:00429EB5                 cmp     ebx, 3          ; deceptive?

AUTO:0042A093                 cmp     ebx, 2          ; pacifist?
AUTO:0042A098                 cmp     ebx, 3          ; deceptive?

AUTO:0042986E                 cmp     edx, 2          ; pacifist?
AUTO:00429873                 cmp     edx, 3          ; deceptive?

AUTO:00415742                 cmp     dword ptr [ebx+4], 2 ; pacifist?

AUTO:00415296                 cmp     esi, 2          ; pacifist?

AUTO:00414A81                 cmp     dword ptr [eax+4], 2  // pacifist? -> no Raid/Harass ship tasks

4 byte integer modifiers for minor personalities 0-4: (random switch between the two datafields?)
ds:58BBF0
ds:58BC04

8 byte float modifiers for minor personalities 0-4:
ds:58BC18

4 byte float modifiers for minor personalities 0-4:
ds:58C284
ds:58C298

default values of all floats are always the same for all personalities
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”