Understanding BOTF difficulty settings

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

corestandeven
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Understanding BOTF difficulty settings

Post by corestandeven »

I know increasing the difficulty makes the game harder :wink:, but what does increasing the difficulty actually do in terms of the games mechanics?

Some games, like C&C3, increasing the difficulty setting does nothing to the AI routines, it only increases unit production and resources available (i.e. they have an army of 40 units by the time you've built 10). Some games alter their difficulty by adding economic penalties to the human player.

What happens with BOTF’s difficulty increases?

The reason why I ask is i've been playing on Ultimate Dominion Mod 3.0.0, Hard setting for about an hour now. I usually play BOTF on Impossible. It seems to me that the only thing that appears different is how quickly the major powers become hostile towards you.

In ‘Impossible’ it's near impossible to get anything other than a friendship treaty with the major powers. They make affiliation treaties (and even alliances!) amongst them really quickly, but all are hostile/declare war against you (started four games now over last three days, and each time after 50 turns they are all against me).

On ‘Hard’ I’ve noticed that they don’t turn hostile on me as quickly, but its still appears near impossible to have a friendly ally. Does increasing the difficulty make the major powers more hostile to you?

Sorry if this is covered on another post. I’ve done a forum search but didn’t see anything. Thanks
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I know the AI starts out with more credits on harder difficulty levels which allows them to buy more ships off the start and will make them more aggressive early on in a game.

Not too sure about other game mechanics.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

trevtones wrote:I know the AI starts out with more credits on harder difficulty levels which allows them to buy more ships off the start and will make them more aggressive early on in a game.

Not too sure about other game mechanics.
money does not change with difficulty only tech start :wink:

I have seen in gowrons post that brides to minors changes when on higher difficulty levels. but this is only one I can think of right now. I am sure there are many more.

thunderchero
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

thunderchero wrote:money does not change with difficulty only tech start :wink:
Really?

I always thought that was one of them. So what does change between difficulty levels?
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

there are many unanwsered questions here.

first does difficulty effect human only? AI only? or both?

next it might be best if gowron and DCER and spock comment here on what they know?

but we all know source code would give more info on this subject :wink:

thunderchero
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

thunderchero wrote:I have seen in gowrons post that brides to minors changes when on higher difficulty levels. but this is only one I can think of right now.
thunderchero
Thunder if I understand you correctly the "Brides" you offer to the Minors officials are getting less attractive then? No wonder it gets harder and harder to get new members at higher levels. This makes me recall the really awesome TNG-episode with famke jansen, "the perfect mate". Probably the only time Picard was really taken with a woman.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
mbwilliams
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by mbwilliams »

The AI has a considerable morale bonus on Impossible-amounting to something like a 40% bonus to intel, science, production,...
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

mbwilliams wrote:The AI has a considerable morale bonus on Impossible-amounting to something like a 40% bonus to intel, science, production,...

Not only that, but the human player(s) start with Apathetic morale. I want to say a human player starts with only 80 morale points on Impossible, which is 20 points under "median" (100 morale points, which is Content).

Of course, that's only in vanilla BOTF. Most mods seem to set the human player's morale back at 100 -- at least I know this to be the case in both BOP and UDM3.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

I´ve noticed that the random events, the ones that destroy buildings, or change planets, are more frequent.

Live long and...
Max_Sparta
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Max_Sparta »

Yeah to me the big one is Moral. Turn 1 its at 100 but by turn 2 it drops to 80 (Impossible level) This thus in tern effects your systems production rate amongst other things. Also the other Majors are far more agressive and build much larger fleets. I wndered my Romulan fleet (of 9 warbird 4s, 9 Heavy Commnad 2 (The ones from ST Nemesis) and 18 Heavy destoyer 2s) into what i thought was a relitively lightly defended klingon sector. Imagine my suprise when I found 43 cloaked commands, 193 Cloaked Fast attacks and 12 Cloaked Strikes.

Sadly however the AIs combat skill isnt any better regardless of dificulty and by some miracle, and about 30 turns, I not only destoyed 203 of there ships (Yes i counted after due to shear shock) but only lost my fast attacks and 2 commands myself.

Its a shame the AI isnt more cunning on harder difficulties rather then just being ATTAAACK >8D

Return to “Modding Information Archive”