Improving the AI

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

mbwilliams
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Improving the AI

Post by mbwilliams »

This has to be the most important modding objective for BOTF. I have lost count of the the number of lovely mods I have played: with beautiful ships, interfaces, with improved science, intel and battle graphics, only to be dismayed upon meeting an AI with a puny, small empire.

Don't get me wrong they often have a mighty fleet (UDM!), but in terms of long term competition the AI still falls woefully short.

So myself and a friend have been modding away trying to address this problem and it comes down to one simple fact: the AIs use of outpost/starbases. It is pathetic at expanding its range. We have spent a great deal of time and effort removing bottlenecks in build ques and reducing minor race strength and various other things but have only made a small improvement in AI expansion from the best mod to date; Gowron's BOP.

Has anyone else been investigating this area?

Avenues we are currently pursuing:-
1. Increase green, yellow and red range
2. Increasing range of troop transports
3. Somehow finding the Hex code that orders the AI to build outposts - any help here anyone? It is easy to make the AI build more TTs but they just won't use them. Grrrr

It is a pity that so much has been improved in BOTF by everyone on this site, but the net result of things such as increasing map size has been, if anything to make the AI worse...

Mark
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Botf is a multi player game first. I would hope that more people would choose to play mp rather than single. AI will never equal a human player.
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

mickar wrote:AI will never equal a human player.
We can still aspire for it!!!! :wink:

I would really love to see a smarter and more challenging AI as well hopefully supremacy will have this!
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
mbwilliams
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by mbwilliams »

[Botf is a multi player game first. I would hope that more people would choose to play mp rather than single. AI will never equal a human player.]

I do not expect the AI to match a human player in the long run, but even in a multiplayer match I still expect the AI empires present to put up a bit of a fight. Currently this is not the case on the larger maps.
JeanNYGUARD
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by JeanNYGUARD »

I think the only few things we need for BOTF is

in order

#1. Better AI

The last few games Ive been playing with The Ultimate Dominion Mod Ive noticied the AI doesnt respond. What I mean by that is during 1 game The Dominion and Cardassian empires declared war against me... *surprise surprise lol. I readied my fleets... was ready for a invasion that never came. They have TONS of transports but never do anything but go from system to sytem in their space. So the war goes on with nothing happening.

The AI needs to be more aggressive. If war is declared they should be prepared and invade.

#2. Combat system.

The combat system needs to be upgraded. This is something that needs urgent attention as we can all know.

#3. Changes to Strategic Screen, Diplomacy

A few things like adding more diplomatic options like giving up systems, demanding systems, stealing specific technology, working with your AI Allies to invade the enemy, Adding waypoints to ships, etc.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”