Shipname Appendix Fix & Adding new name groups; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

enigma
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Killing a stupid 's'

Post by enigma »

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to kill or change this 's' who appears behind task forces. Whenever it appears, its looking wrong. For example in '7 Cruiser IIs', '9 Destroyer Mk.IIIs' or however you call your ships. Up till now i found no way to do it and I'm also not so good with Hex-Editors to find something like that.

Thanks, enigma.
enigma
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Killing a stupid 's'

Post by enigma »

is knowbody knowing how to do it?^^
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

it has never been looked at how to remove it.

It would be located in the trek.exe and would be a very small edit. but just finding the correct location would be the hard part.

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

I don't know about a complete removal of the s-es but there is a way around them.
The game displays a max number of chars; so if your ship name is "Heavy Cruiser" that fits in the max length and you will get "Heavy Cruisers" in a group; but if you name them "Heavy Cruiser DAMN_THE_SES" it will be too long so it will only display the words that fit into it's max length; so instead of "Heavy Cruiser DAMN_THE_SESs" you will get "Heavy Cruiser"

I have some "Heavy Destroyer" and they get displayed as "Heavy". So "Heavy Destroyers" is past the game's max length. That would be 16 chars; make your names at least that and the last word in the name, the one that gets the "s" will be ignored.

Might not want to have too long names; i think UE checks for max bytes to put in stbof.res so it does not overwrites next block but just to be sure keep it reasonable.

If they seem to many names to change in UE, there is a way to change the names in excel and import them to the game, but if you have not used the tool before it might be more trouble than worth:
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2710
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I did find the location for this. it is a hex edit of the trek.exe

at 0x17fb29 change 73 -> 20 (space) or 90 (no op)

Note; this has not been tested if this change is used in any other part of game. (could not find that exact call use again, so I doubt it is used by any other code)

thunderchero

Return to “Shipname Appendix Fix & Adding new name groups”